Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Picked up a New Pace Car Festival Car!!!! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91570)

autoguy 06-24-2010 11:31 PM

Picked up a New Pace Car Festival Car!!!!

I was looking to possibly buy a 2010 Pace Car. I kind of forgot about it until the week before the race. The Wednesday before the Race I sent a text message to a friend that was out at Indy for the race. I told him I was looking to buy a Pace Car Replica, and asked if he could maybe talk to one of his connections at GM for me. I did not get an answer immediately, and after a week or so went by after the race, I assumed nothing was going to happen.

I started my own search for a Pace Car. I found multiple cars on Cars.com at dealerships and a few on ebay. None of these were numbered Festival or Parade Cars. I tried to buy one from a dealer in Texas, but after getting the double talk about what my trade was worth, I decided to abort that deal. I talked to Becky at Rodgers, and told me she had a line on another one for me. She went above and beyond trying to help, but again, nobody (their Used car manager or wholesaler) ever wants to put proper money into a trade, so that deal was off as well.

It was around this time I learned of the Numbered Festival/Parade Cars. I located a few and while I was very close to closing a deal on car #17, I received a phone call from Craig at GM. He is an Engineering Group Manager for GM Performance Division and their group is responsible for the Pace Car Program. He proceeds to tell me my friend called him during the race weekend and personally asked for them to set me up with a car, and they have one set aside for me. I was given the name of the Regional Sales manager of Chevrolet for the Indianapolis area, and he directed me to the person that is in charge of distributing the Festival/Parade Cars. At this time, I still do not know where the car is or if it is a Dealer Car or a Festival Car.

I was directed to get in touch with Bill Estes Chevrolet in Indianapolis. Upon calling them, I got hooked up with Damon Smith who is their ebay/Internet Sales Manager. He made a few phone calls and called me back. He proceeds to tell me the car is still at the Speedway and is in fact a Festival Car #45 with 1831 miles on it. I cannot believe this is happening!

Shortly thereafter, he sent me an email stating this car has my name on it, and I can have it delivered through any Chevrolet Dealership I choose and that I am to be treated as a VIP. If they did not make the deal I wanted, I could go to a different dealership. I told him I had a trade, and that I wanted to pay invoice for the Camaro and the amount I wanted for the trade. 1/2 Hour later I get a call back saying everything is fine, when do I want to pick it up?

He then went to the Speedway and made a video of the car for me.

I made arrangements to trailer my '94 Corvette Trade 625 miles to Indianapolis and bring #45 home. We drove out Sunday 6/20. Left Allentown PA at 10 AM and arrived at the dealership at 9 PM. Unloaded the Vette and crashed at a Red Roof Inn across the street. Got up Monday morning, went to the dealership and picked up #45. Stopped at the Speedway on the way home and took some pics in front of the Museum.

Oh, I almost forgot, a HUGE THANKS to my friend that set this up for me. The worlds Greatest Race Car Driver Ever, and one of the nicest people I have had the honor to meet..........And the '69 Indy 500 Champion!!!! The one and Only...Mario Andretti!

ffrcobra_65 06-25-2010 12:15 AM

you lucky guy you!!!! Congrats!

mlee 06-25-2010 12:23 AM

Super Nice! Welcome to the club...:thumbsup:

Be sure and check in here..
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89978

Inferno Man 06-25-2010 12:31 AM

Awesome ride and Congrats!!!!!:D

"prima"Donna 06-25-2010 12:42 AM

:coolpics:

Thanks for sharing...love the picture of the 'one and only' Mario Andretti!!! :thumbsup:

Kycamaross 06-25-2010 12:52 AM

[QUOTE=autoguy;2024535]I was looking to possibly buy a 2010 Pace Car. I kind of forgot about it until the week before the race. The Wednesday before the Race I sent a text message to a friend that was out at Indy for the race. I told him I was looking to buy a Pace Car Replica, and asked if he could maybe talk to one of his connections at GM for me. I did not get an answer immediately, and after a week or so went by after the race, I assumed nothing was going to happen.

I started my own search for a Pace Car. I found multiple cars on Cars.com at dealerships and a few on ebay. None of these were numbered Festival or Parade Cars. I tried to buy one from a dealer in Texas, but after getting the double talk about what my trade was worth, I decided to abort that deal. I then hooked up with a woman that worked at a Chevy Dealership near Detroit. She owns a Pace Car Replica and told me she had a line on another one for me. Again, nobody ever wants to put proper money into a trade, so that deal was off as well.

It was around this time I learned of the Numbered Festival/Parade Cars. I located a few and while I was very close to closing a deal on car #17, I received a phone call from Craig at GM. He is an Engineering Group Manager for Chevy and their group is responsible for the Pace Car Program. He proceeds to tell me my friend called him during the race weekend and personally asked for them to set me up with a car, and they have one set aside for me. I was given the name of the Regional Sales manager of Chevrolet for the Indianapolis area, and he directed me to the person that is in charge of distributing the Festival/Parade Cars. At this time, I still do not know where the car is or if it is a Dealer Car or a Festival Car.

I was directed to get in touch with Bill Estes Chevrolet in Indianapolis. Upon calling them, I got hooked up with Damon Smith who is their ebay/Internet Sales Manager. He made a few phone calls and called me back. He proceeds to tell me the car is still at the Speedway and is in fact a Festival Car #45 with 1831 miles on it. I cannot believe this is happening!

Shortly thereafter, he sends me an email stating this car has my name on it, and I can have it delivered through any Chevrolet Dealership I choose and that I am to be treated as a VIP. If they did not make the deal I wanted, I could go to a different dealership. I told him I had a trade, and that I wanted to pay invoice for the Camaro and the amount I wanted for the trade. 1/2 Hour later I get a call back saying everything is fine, when do I want to pick it up?

He then went to the Speedway and proceeded to make a video of the car for me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em0f2QYHXOE

I proceeded to make arrangements to trailer my '94 Corvette Trade 625 miles to Indianapolis and bring #45 home. We drove out Sunday 6/20. Left Allentown PA at 10 AM and arrived at the dealership at 9 PM. Unloaded the Vette and crashed at a Red Roof Inn across the street. Got up Monday morning, went to the dealership and picked up #45. Stopped at the Speedway on the way home and took some pics in front of the Museum.

Did you in fact pick it up at Bill Estes Chevrolet?

I drove 2 hours (not as long as yours of course) to pick up my Camaro from Bill Estes. I cannot believe how this dealership made me feel. They treated this out of town guy like a king. When they knew I was coming up, they put this car up, so as to not have anyone else look at it. I have never been treated like this by any of my local dealerships. I couldn't get up to Becky or Camaro Scotty's places, so I am so damn glad I found this dealership

Revo1 06-25-2010 12:53 AM

BEAST. Nice find :thumbsup:

autoguy 06-25-2010 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kycamaross (Post 2024906)
Did you in fact pick it up at Bill Estes Chevrolet?

I drove 2 hours (not as long as yours of course) to pick up my Camaro from Bill Estes. I cannot believe how this dealership made me feel. They treated this out of town guy like a king. When they knew I was coming up, they put this car up, so as to not have anyone else look at it. I have never been treated like this by any of my local dealerships. I couldn't get up to Becky or Camaro Scotty's places, so I am so damn glad I found this dealership

Yes I did. Great people there. Damon Smith returned calls promptly and had all the answers and Info I was looking for. They even stored the car indoors for almost a week until I could get out there and pick it up.

Sevn86 06-25-2010 01:57 AM

Congrats!

RED10LS 06-25-2010 02:29 AM

Congrats and enjoy the new car, great story I really enjoyed it.

Rogue Leader 06-25-2010 06:33 AM

Congrats, good luck...

Any pics of the number plaque (is there one??)

Memphis SS 06-25-2010 07:04 AM

Congrats!!! You lucky dog..

I've been to several Indy 500 races. That has got to be one of the nicest tracks in the country.

Ciscovet 06-25-2010 07:10 AM

Sorry for my ignorance but is there any modifications to the car? What is so special about the car? Is it driven in the race and then handed over to you? I'm obviously new to this.

JoeP@TeamBeckyD 06-25-2010 08:02 AM

Awesome car and a great history to go with it. It will look great with your collection of fine cars. Welcome to the Pace Car family. ;)

mlee 06-25-2010 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogue Leader (Post 2025233)
Congrats, good luck...

No plaques... just a cool festival plate w/ number.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ciscovet (Post 2025274)
Sorry for my ignorance but is there any modifications to the car? What is so special about the car? Is it driven in the race and then handed over to you? I'm obviously new to this.

Nope... just a regular 2SS/RS L99 w/ IO interior. The stripes, headrests, floormats and badging are the only differences... The big deal is only 295 replicas were built which makes them rare. The Actual Pace Cars driven in the race are not sold. This one however was one of 50 driven at the track during all the festivities by an Indy exec or someone like that.

4THGEN Z 06-25-2010 08:30 AM

Nice find!!! Didn't they have white stripes on the dash though?

mlee 06-25-2010 08:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4THGEN Z (Post 2025453)
Nice find!!! Didn't they have white stripes on the dash though?

Only the Real Pace car did... apparently they took that option off the table at the last minute...

I had mine painted on the first week I got it...

pastohio 06-25-2010 08:38 AM

The old saying is IT ISN'T WHAT YOU KNOW BUT WHO YOU KNOW !!!!

What was the invoice on this car ???

motor1 06-25-2010 08:39 AM

Congrats on the find, patience really paid off there. Very nice piece of history.

pastohio 06-25-2010 08:40 AM

OOOPPPS...another question, how did it acquire so many miles (183 ?) driven for what ?? thanks for the knowledge,,

guiLT 06-25-2010 08:43 AM

AWESOME! CONGRATS ON THE NEW CAMARO PACE CAR!!!

autoguy 06-25-2010 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogue Leader (Post 2025233)
Congrats, good luck...

There are numbers all over. There is a small #45 at the lower side of the drivers window, I have the Indiana issued License plate that has the Indy 500 Logo and the number 45 on it, and the parking pass sticker on the windshield has a 45 on it as well as an Indy Logo Hologram. There is a small round brass tag on the second set of keys with a 45 stamped into it, and I have the temporary registration papers for the Civic event license plate that has 45 and the VIN number of the car on it. It will be one of the most documented cars I have ever owned. Even the window sticker had a small post it note stuck to it with 45 written on it.

Here is a picture of the parking Sticker.... http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y88...y/IMG_3501.jpg

Here is one showing the windshield number, Parking pass and you can see the license plate on the dash......
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y88...0VipDay005.jpg

autoguy 06-25-2010 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pastohio (Post 2025497)
OOOPPPS...another question, how did it acquire so many miles (183 ?) driven for what ?? thanks for the knowledge,,

Most of the Festival cars have about 2000 miles. They were used by VIP's during the month of may and were used for on track and other festivities as well. Mine had 1831. I have seen a few with as many as 2300 and I also saw one with 325 miles.

Ciscovet 06-25-2010 09:45 AM

Thanks for the info. Do you plan to drive it or garage it?

autoguy 06-25-2010 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ciscovet (Post 2025729)
Thanks for the info. Do you plan to drive it or garage it?

It will be a dry day, fair weather, show and cruise car. Mileage will be kept to a minimum.

mlee 06-27-2010 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autoguy (Post 2025624)
There are numbers all over. There is a small #45 at the lower side of the drivers window, I have the Indiana issued License plate that has the Indy 500 Logo and the number 45 on it, and the parking pass sticker on the windshield has a 45 on it as well as an Indy Logo Hologram. There is a small round brass tag on the second set of keys with a 45 stamped into it, and I have the temporary registration papers for the Civic event license plate that has 45 and the VIN number of the car on it. It will be one of the most documented cars I have ever owned. Even the window sticker had a small post it note stuck to it with 45 written on it.

Here is a picture of the parking Sticker....

Here is one showing the windshield number, Parking pass and you can see the license plate on the dash......

Whoops I should have clarified... Nothing from the factory is numbered on these cars except VIN. The Festival Cars had to be temporarily registered in Indiana and identified at the Race (they all look alike LOL)... hence the cool stickers, plate & reg papers and Key ID.

I really wish they would have numbered them like 45 of 295 or something. Seems like it would have been a very small thing to do...:iono:

autoguy 06-29-2010 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "prima"Donna (Post 2024868)
:coolpics:

Thanks for sharing...love the picture of the 'one and only' Mario Andretti!!! :thumbsup:

I was at Carlisle this past Saturday. Not sure if you saw the car. I was parked at the tent with the other Camaro Pace Cars. There was one of every year there.

CamaroScotty 07-07-2010 09:04 AM

Now there's a pace car replica with some added collectors value! An actual event car!

JohnForeman 07-07-2010 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autoguy (Post 2024535)
is in fact a Festival Car #45 with 1831 miles on it. I cannot believe this is happening!

so Cool.. I actually got pictures of and talked to the guy that was driving #45. He came to Kokomo Indiana for some reason and I spotted him. He pulled into a Bob Evans and I followed him. We talked a bit and I got some pics of the car. Glad it went to someone who can appreciate what they have..

2010 SSRS 07-07-2010 04:18 PM

congrats, I love those pace cars.

autoguy 07-07-2010 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnForeman (Post 2068651)
so Cool.. I actually got pictures of and talked to the guy that was driving #45. He came to Kokomo Indiana for some reason and I spotted him. He pulled into a Bob Evans and I followed him. We talked a bit and I got some pics of the car. Glad it went to someone who can appreciate what they have..

Would you be able to email or post the pics you have of the car? Those would be cool to have with the other documentation I have.

camaroman18080 07-21-2010 09:03 PM

Awesome car. I noticed your in the Lehigh Valley. I am a member of the Lehigh Valley Camaro Club. I am not sure if you met anyone from the club at Carlisle or not, but if you didn't hopefully we will get to meet you at some point. I am attatching a link to our website if you want to check in and see where we will be meeting next.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...leycamaroclub/

autoguy 07-23-2010 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaroman18080 (Post 2127091)
Awesome car. I noticed your in the Lehigh Valley. I am a member of the Lehigh Valley Camaro Club. I am not sure if you met anyone from the club at Carlisle or not, but if you didn't hopefully we will get to meet you at some point. I am attatching a link to our website if you want to check in and see where we will be meeting next.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...leycamaroclub/

I had my car at Carlisle, but did not meet anyone from the club. I was parked with the Pace car guys.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y88...00626-1057.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y88...00626-1056.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y88...00626-1054.jpg

JoeP@TeamBeckyD 07-23-2010 08:21 PM

Yours is Absolutely Beautiful!! ...I Love Mine too!!!
Let's keep showing them, they deserve it!

autoguy 07-25-2010 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet (Post 2135465)
Yours is Absolutely Beautiful!! ...I Love Mine too!!!
Let's keep showing them, they deserve it!

Thanks Becky, I see the other thread slowed down a bit. Not many others out there yet I guess.

John Shields 07-26-2010 12:29 AM

It's people like you (OP) that make me just want to slap you. I can't imagine having enough random spare cash laying around to go... "Oh I think I'll just go buy a pace car" (or any car for that matter). I live paycheck to paycheck and still make a decent amount of money (but two cars, a house, and two kids will sap your wallet).

Damn you rich bastards! :mad0260:

Otherwise... rant aside... nice car. HAHA.

autoguy 07-26-2010 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Shields (Post 2143178)
It's people like you (OP) that make me just want to slap you. I can't imagine having enough random spare cash laying around to go... "Oh I think I'll just go buy a pace car" (or any car for that matter). I live paycheck to paycheck and still make a decent amount of money (but two cars, a house, and two kids will sap your wallet).

Damn you rich bastards! :mad0260:

Otherwise... rant aside... nice car. HAHA.

I'm going to buy one next year too if they do a Camaro Convertible!!

John Shields 07-26-2010 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autoguy (Post 2143190)
I'm going to buy one next year too if they do a Camaro Convertible!!

*SLAP*

While you're at it, why don't you buy me my z28 too in 2012? :sm0:

greenrail 07-26-2010 12:44 PM

Definitely awesome! Very Nice Guys!

GoPaul 07-26-2010 01:40 PM

great story, very sweet ride.

Grats autoguy.