Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How did you guys learn about cars? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243646)

Aubrey64 08-13-2012 02:48 AM

How did you guys learn about cars?

So I got my 2010 LT/RS in June, my dad surprised me with it for my graduation present! I am so excited to start modding, but I don't know a whole lot about cars, though I am typically pretty good at this type of stuff (I am great with computers and electronics, and I am pretty good with my hands). I was wondering, how did y'all learn how to mod, and how did you learn about cars? I don't know where I should start, but I want to start modding as soon as possible! Thanks guys! Any tips are appreciated!

06_warrior 08-13-2012 03:10 AM

My grandfather taught me some about cars. Changing oil, spark plugs etc. Just basic stuff. I learned the rest on my own from my thirst to want to know and my interest. Once you get the mod bug fever look out. It is very consuming and costly :) Best thing to do is get very familiar with the search feature of this forum and research, research, research until you know what you want and how to do it.

AdamZ 08-13-2012 03:12 AM

I bought my SS knowing nothing 6 months ago. I have learned sooooo much since then. I have pretty much everything down on cars :D. I've done plenty of my own mods and have plenty more coming.

sam.u.el 08-13-2012 03:24 AM

Not too long ago (about 3 years) I fell in love with classic american cars mostly from the late 60's early 70's. In that time I took a few classes at the community college and started my journey to learn more about cars. After the few classes I took I wanted to learn more so I bought and read magazines and books and researched a whole lot online and learned a bit from those that were car literate. All my knowledge (which isn't a lot to be honest) mosty revolves around classic cars/engines. Luckly for me, todays engines still operate the same way only with modern technology molded into them. After buying my camaro almost 4 months ago, I got to reading and researching everything camaro. I learn something everyday about these cars and the folks on here have been very helpful!

Sorry for blabbing.. I get carried away sometimes haha

Brutal SS 08-13-2012 03:56 AM

Everything I have learned is from :sm1:

lscamaro 08-13-2012 04:10 AM

I got my 2011 Camaro not knowing anything about cars at all. Through research and asking questions I learned a lot! i have done most of my own mods and have loved every minute of it! Now, i know quite a bit about cars and try to help others who are just starting out. If you have any questions about your car, dont hesitate to pm

camarozzzz 08-13-2012 04:39 AM

As sappy as it sounds I have always wished that I had someone to work with me on cars. Unfortunetly I don't. No one I really know takes cars as anything more than "a means of transportation". My generation treats cars as nothing more than a means to getting somewhere - more concerned with fuel economy than anything else. So its kind of lame....anyway...I got myself into cars!

I have always liked them and how they worked. I liked the freedom they provide when I am behind the wheel as it is a very ultimate form of control you can achieve. I also liked how you could change the cars at your own will/ whim, you could modify them to your liking at anytime!

Caitlin&Caroline 08-13-2012 04:59 AM

I am with most of the above. I became an engineer because I love seeing things come together for function, but I am very car illiterate (not that type of engineer). My parents have no interest in cars and would happily be chauffeured or walk the rest of their lives (which is cool, too).

The Camaro is here to help! Cars guys/gals come out of the woodwork now just to chat. I start with, "I know nothing about cars," and it always becomes a valuable lesson. This forum is wealth of knowledge as well, and I am trying my best to soak up as much as possible.

It may be a slow start to start to some, but when my husband and I changed my Outback's spark plugs (gaskets next), I felt like a freakin' champ! :D

Chiefish 08-13-2012 06:32 AM

I learned about cars and fixing them out of nessesity, the first few cars I ever had needed work all the time to keep running in good condition, but thats to be expected when your only paying hundreds of dollars for them and not thousands. I used to always carry a toolbox in my trunk , set of jumpers ect ect.
But as I moved foward in my profession and could afford better cars I still love working on them and doing stuff to make them mine and a bit different from everyone elses. I havent had to carry a toolbox in the trunk for at least 20 years now. LOL

Sword5 08-13-2012 06:43 AM

My dad had me sitting on the fender of old cars he bought and fixed up to sell. Hand your dad the wrong wrench when he's elbow deep in the engine, you learn what an open end is, quick!

RJTV6A 08-13-2012 06:56 AM

From the backseat I was conceved in. Alway been into cars.

SlingShot 08-13-2012 07:07 AM

For me I started with working on mini bikes and go carts back in the early 60's. Then I rebuilt my first V8 when I was 15, while waiting to get my DL. Now I hate working on cars, I don't find it much fun any more and prefer to let a shop do it.

fielderLS3 08-13-2012 07:16 AM

I've always had an interest in cars, and everything I've learned, I've learned bit by bit from all kinds of sources over the years just from paying attention to them. I learned some from family members, friends, books, school, internet, car shows....

It's kinda like learning a language. If you surround yourself with it, you pick it up over time.

Rock-It Man 08-13-2012 07:17 AM

Necessity.

In high school and college I had old VWs and a great book called "How to Keep Your VW Alive: A Guide for the Complete Idiot".

The book showed me that anyone can do maintenance and repairs with the right tools, the right knowledge, and patience.

I have all my tools from 45 years ago.

Now I take my cars to the shop for major repairs, but still do the maintenance, of which there is very little, on modern cars, compared to an air cooled VW with solid lifters and a mechanical distributor.