Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Xpel (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=434217)

shamp21 12-26-2015 11:39 PM

Xpel

So the wife gave me some money to spend on the car for christmas. I want to have xpel applied. Would it be better to have it applied to the front bumper or to the rocker panels behind the tires? I only have enough $$ to do one or the other. Where do y'all get more rock chips?

ghosted 12-26-2015 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shamp21 (Post 8807534)
So the wife gave me some money to spend on the car for christmas. I want to have xpel applied. Would it be better to have it applied to the front bumper or to the rocker panels behind the tires? I only have enough $$ to do one or the other. Where do y'all get more rock chips?

My front bumper has taken an absolute beating in a month. No marks at all behind the wheels. Hope this helps.

CruisingSpeed 12-27-2015 12:12 AM

The front bumper would be the best. I dont see anything worth worrying about on the rockers because their so low. The only real ding i have found is right on the corner of the front wheel well just before the camaro lettering. Its a big rock chip about 1/8 in diameter, but thats all. The front bumper definately takes a beating with rocks and bugs which are nearly impossible to wash off. I have looked at before and after pictures of my bumper now that my car is a couple years old and am kicking myself for not doing the xpel in the first place.

Especially when you get stuck behind slow slow gravel trucks when you cant pass for miles. And of course the people in front of you cut a corner and drift out of their lanes spewing debris and gravel on your car. Yup, bumper it shall be. And i would reccomend going about a foot or two up the hood if possible.

SS376 12-27-2015 12:36 AM

I have it on the front end, the mirrors, and the gills. I would definitely go front end if that's all the budget would allow.

PalmerGA 12-27-2015 05:31 AM

Front bumper. You can get rear rock/mud guards for the rear wheels pretty cheap that will protect the rear quarters.

christianchevell 12-27-2015 07:59 AM

Yeah what he said, front bumper is a lot more extensive than the gills area.... and get some mud flaps for that.

scandata 12-27-2015 08:23 AM

It depends on the road conditions where you live. I'd look at other cars in the area and see where they have rock chips.

paul84043 12-27-2015 10:54 AM

I didn't get the clear bra on my 2010 in time (it was used with 4k miles on it) and over the period of 4 years the front clip, headlights, and mirrors took a beating.
With the standard SS wheels, I had no rock chips in or around the wheel wells and rockers.

On my 1LE, I forked out the cash to get a high quality professional clear bra on as soon as possible.

I plan on picking up the Xpel for other areas that take lighter punishment like inside the door handles and the rockers but after seeing some of the meteor strikes the 2010 took, you really need a much more durable product up front.

That being said, Xpel would probably handle the lighter hits like sand and very small rocks. Would be great for bugs which eat your paint.

All really depends on what you expect to be flying towards you.
I live in Utah, the construction state where gravel trucks roam the prarie and spew forth their evil rocky happiness with reckless abandon.
Orange barrels are a bumper crop here along with new windshields...

stock block 12-27-2015 11:16 AM

I got my ss with a full 3m protection, I have noticed behind the rear tires there is some marks from rocks flying off the rear tires.With out the 3m clear tape I'm sure those marks would be paint chips

dianeokie 12-28-2015 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shamp21 (Post 8807534)

You should have the front end cleaned up before you put on the paint protection. They do recommend the front end, gills and mirrors. I still have paint chips, but not as many. I'm going to have mine replaced after the first of the year, since I've had it for 5 years and is starting to look a little rough where a couple of chips have happened.

cuspid 01-04-2016 03:07 PM

$1000 or $73

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Ca...tVqeNd&vxp=mtr

SS376 01-04-2016 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuspid (Post 8822738)

Unless you're an experienced installer, this will turn out to be a very expensive $73.

xrivera91 01-04-2016 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS376 (Post 8822807)
Unless you're an experienced installer, this will turn out to be a very expensive $73.

Buy two sets try the first time if you fail you use the second set. Still cheaper than 1k. People said that to me about vinyl. And I vinyl wrapped my interior and it came out awesome. I will deff be trying this myself as well!!!

LT1Zob 01-04-2016 03:53 PM

Do NOT do it yourself unless you KNOW what you're doing. Mine was done in all strategic places 3 yrs ago. Best mod period for the exterior. Pay once, get XPEL only, have a pro do it and be done with it. I've done alot of decal work in my day, no way I'd do my own XPEL myself though. Never met a happy novice either who decided to save a few bucks and do it themselves. 3 yrs later, looks like it was done yesterday.