Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Surface Swirls, Halos? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218681)

M3NTA7 04-23-2012 07:49 PM

Surface Swirls, Halos?

2 Attachment(s)
I have some swirls on the hood of one of my cars. (It's our Camaro).

I hope they are on the surface. Can you tell from the pictures?

The car had the dealer "protective coating" or whatever it's called added. I know, shouldn't have done that.

I'm going to be getting the PC Polisher for the Camaro.

Do the markings in the pictures look like they are on the surface? If so, can I correct them with the PC if they are on top of the "protective coating"?

Thanks a bunch!

Angelo@Autopia 04-23-2012 08:00 PM

Someone from the dealer doesn't know how to use a rotary looks like, it's a common site on many new cars. A PC with the right chemicals and pads will remove them and the right LSP's will give the protection you need for your new ride.

Angelo@Autopia 04-23-2012 08:02 PM

By seeing it's a Honda, then try maybe a mild polish with a LC white pad to see if you can remove them. Honda has a soft finish and it will be easy to remove.

Dznts 04-23-2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelo (Post 4854127)
Someone from the dealer doesn't know how to use a rotary looks like, it's a common site on many new cars. A PC with the right chemicals and pads will remove them and the right LSP's will give the protection you need for your new ride.

this :thumbsup:.. PC and some Adams products and you will be good to go!

FL1CK 04-24-2012 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M3NTA7 (Post 4854039)
I have some swirls on the hood of one of my cars. (It's our Camaro).

I hope they are on the surface. Can you tell from the pictures?

The car had the dealer "protective coating" or whatever it's called added. I know, shouldn't have done that.

I'm going to be getting the PC Polisher for the Camaro.

Do the markings in the pictures look like they are on the surface? If so, can I correct them with the PC if they are on top of the "protective coating"?

Thanks a bunch!

That's one funny looking Camaro...

Adam's Polishes 04-24-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelo (Post 4854127)
Someone from the dealer doesn't know how to use a rotary looks like, it's a common site on many new cars.

Agreed... poor technique with a rotary is to blame, but the good news is its easy to fix with something fairly mild. A porter cable and a mild polish/pad combo like our Fine Machine Polish & White Pad is just about all you'd need to correct that.

Todd@Autopia 04-24-2012 10:22 AM

As far as the dealer applied protection, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Usually it is nothing more than a regular old paint sealant, that in the fine print, needs to be reapplied every 6 months to a year. What you are basically paying for is the warranty, the products used are often no better than what you would find in a parts store.

The swirl mark/halos are often referred to as Holograms. These are microfine scratches caused by the improper use (wrong chemical, pad, technique, or combination of the three) of a rotary polisher. Usually these can be removed quite easily with a dual-action style polisher.

BLACKFIRE SRC Finishing Polish and White Polishing Pad will have your paint glowing in no time.

M3NTA7 04-24-2012 11:25 AM

Thanks for the advice, I can't wait to get those swirls off of there.

I'm also looking forward to doing a complete wash, clay, swirl remove, polish, wax on the Camaro too. It's going to look awesome!

Angelo@Autopia 04-26-2012 02:26 PM

Remember to support your Forum Vendor's who help support Camaro5!:thumbup: