Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Is there a stigma? LT RS vs SS (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5611)

CUPRA 07-28-2008 11:48 PM

Is there a stigma? LT RS vs SS

I am relatively new to the US, and even newer to American 'Muscle Cars', being born and bred in Scotland. Moved here a little over 5 years ago.. always had European/Japanese cars.

So my question is this... my budget is probably only going to allow me to stretch to an LT with the RS package...

Is there a stigma attached to having a V6 RS Camaro vs the base V8 or SS version?

I know there are people who will say 'you can never have enough power' or 'a true Muscle Car should be a V8. However, the projected 27mpg and 304bhp out of the V6 seems decent enough...

Discuss...?

Kyle2k 07-28-2008 11:55 PM

The fact that this Camaro with maybe $500 worth of mods will shame almost every car that is "higher" in its segment (for instance: the Mustang v6 AND v8, the 350z, etc, etc, etc) proves that you don't need an SS to have fun. Furthermore you will be able to fully option your car and still keep it affordable ;)

boxmonkeyracing 07-29-2008 12:10 AM

buy whatever your budget can afford. if that's what you can buy then get it. . .now aday people are accepting v6 sports cars where back in the day not so much.

TAG UR IT 07-29-2008 12:16 AM

I think there was....something that went along with owning an SS.

BUT....times are changing.

And this new V6 is going to take the cake all across the board in the V6 car market. If there was a stigma, it's gone w/ the wind now. My honest opinion.

phlegm 07-29-2008 12:59 AM

I think that the stigma is wearing away. I remember when I first told my friends of the new camaro and told them I was getting a V6, they were like meh. Then I waited until I found out it was the CTS V6 engine and told them. Then they were quite impressed you could get a 300 horse powerhouse in such an affordable and stylish car.

MAC 07-29-2008 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAG UR IT (Post 102425)
I think there was....something that went along with owning an SS.

BUT....times are changing.

And this new V6 is going to take the cake all across the board in the V6 car market. If there was a stigma, it's gone w/ the wind now. My honest opinion.

someone likes bob dylan...maybe...:iono:

SS22 07-29-2008 02:16 AM

The important thing is that you get a Camaro, Nothing else matters.:chevy:
The gas price issue will certainly fuel (no pun intended) V6 Camaro buyers who otherwise might have got a V8. (if it was 1986) The success of the V6 is important, I was suprised and pleased to see coverage of the Camaro billed as a fun efficient car. Thats how it needs to be seen, to succeed.

MAC 07-29-2008 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS22 (Post 102459)
Nothing else matters.

ah, and a Metallica fan...

:rolleyes:

sorry I'm bored...;)

Mindz 07-29-2008 02:32 AM

Someone's on a roll tonight...:rolleyes:

MAC 07-29-2008 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CUPRA (Post 102418)
Is there a stigma attached to having a V6 RS Camaro vs the V8 R/T or SS version?

V8 R/T? :iono:

am I missing something?...
did chevy take R/T off dodge?...
what is this "R/T"? ...

GOT PSI 07-29-2008 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAC (Post 102466)
V8 R/T? :iono:

am I missing something?...
did chevy take R/T off dodge?...
what is this "R/T"? ...

I'm thinking he simply meant v8 vs v6 no matter what brand.

JaysonAych 07-29-2008 03:59 AM

Yeah, I don't think the stigma's going to be that big this time around. 300 hp in a V6 is very good and despite missing some torque, it's still going to be a performance bargain.

Above anything though, buy what you want and be happy and secure with it. No matter what you buy, there will be haters. They and their opinions are completely insignificant if you're having fun with your car.

lsuduke 07-29-2008 04:37 AM

Don't think i'd call it a stigma, but once you are comfortable with an engine size, it is harder to downsize too an engine that appears to be less engine. All " muscle cars" were v8's for a long time and v6's just couldn't get the power of an v8. But, today's v6's can run with older v8's for horsepower with no issues. I know for a fact this new v6 Camaro , would destroy my 91 RS with the 5.0 l v8 it had, no way did it have 300 horsepower. Personally, I love the sound of a finely tuned v8, but if the budget says v6 Camaro, I'll still be smiling, cruising happily in a v6.

Supermans 07-29-2008 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lsuduke (Post 102479)
Don't think i'd call it a stigma, but once you are comfortable with an engine size, it is harder to downsize too an engine that appears to be less engine. All " muscle cars" were v8's for a long time and v6's just couldn't get the power of an v8. But, today's v6's can run with older v8's for horsepower with no issues. I know for a fact this new v6 Camaro , would destroy my 91 RS with the 5.0 l v8 it had, no way did it have 300 horsepower. Personally, I love the sound of a finely tuned v8, but if the budget says v6 Camaro, I'll still be smiling, cruising happily in a v6.

Actually, your stock 1991 RS Camaro with the 5.0 Liter V8 would go from 0-60 in 5.8 -6.0. Or I may be thinking of the Iroc-Z edition being a little faster. In either case, I think it would still beat the current V6 in initial acceleration because of the the increase in torque and then be neck and neck in the end if not be ahead by a hair. However that is when the vehicle was brand new. So the way you remember it as you probably drove it for many years, the new V6 Camaro should feel noticeably faster and more agile due to its modern IRS and engine. he tests were done with regular gas so simply switching to premium might give you a slight advantage over the 1991 and in another thread, it appears it might be easy to increase to at least 40 more HP with some slight mods.

Think about this... The numbers that the initial tests for the V8 that have been released are impressive considering that a 1994 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 did a zero - 60 time of 4.7 seconds and 13.1 in the quarter.. The Automatic V8 can do 0-60 in 4.6 stock. This is to just as amazing as the current V6 potentially matching a 1991 up to a 1993 top of the line Camaro or being really close to matching.