Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wash/Wash/Detailing and Cosmetic Maintenance Parts (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   Love Bugs (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163001)

seminolejon 08-04-2011 08:39 AM

Love Bugs

Ok, all Florida people. Love Bug season is approaching (September and May). Just got my Camaro in June. What do you do to protect your front end? Bug screen? Oil?

I need some advice before they start splattering on my car.

Thanks!

VTXrider 08-04-2011 08:44 AM

Fresh wax and often. If your car is freshly waxed they will wash right of with a hose

HookemHorns 08-04-2011 08:48 AM

What he said...

nyrfan 08-04-2011 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VTXrider (Post 3566698)
Fresh wax and often. If your car is freshly waxed they will wash right of with a hose

Yep! I plan to get a fresh coat of wax on in late August. I also have my Meguiars Ultimate spray wax & quick detailer ready to go.

SlingShot 08-04-2011 08:52 AM

For me a good coat of wax in the beginning of summer, and use Ice detail weekly...

Camaro45thAE 08-04-2011 08:56 AM

I make a habit of spraying down my car(s) the moment I pull into the driveway during lovebug season. Let the water sit for a bit, then spray more. Fresh kills come off easy.... if you let them sit for a few hours or over night you run the risk of permanent damage.

Buy a separate sponge to get the rest that dont come off with just the hose and make sure you use it for lovebug cleaning ONLY.

FYI, lovebugs do destroy 3M clear bras too. My ex-Mini Cooper had permanent lovebug damage on the film from the previous owner...better than on the paint itself, but the clear bras arent cheap to replace either....

dmginc 08-04-2011 08:56 AM

spray Pam cooking spray (or similar) on your front end and the guts wont eat your paint.

nyrfan 08-04-2011 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmginc (Post 3566736)
spray Pam cooking spray (or similar) on your front end and the guts wont eat your paint.

Really? Won't the spray hurt the paint?

Camaro45thAE 08-04-2011 09:05 AM

Quote:

And have every piece of dirt and road junk stuck to the front of your car. You arent cooking eggs on your bumper. Keep Pam in your skillet, not on your car.

A good wax job and keeping up with a routine wash is your best bet.....other than just dont drive the car for the next 2 months ;)

Jagerday 08-04-2011 09:06 AM

Just FYI...for those of you who did not know it. The university of Florida created love bugs. They were never supposed to get out of the lab but some escaped and now there is what I would call a "love bug epidemic" As a FSU grad i just thought I would share and hopefully create a few more UF haters out there. Every time you find yourself wanting to pull for the gators just remember all those little spots in your front bumper and root against them!

Nvincent4708 08-04-2011 09:09 AM

Wax, and keep detail spray handy to get them off ASAP. (I live in MD, but my friend drove home from FL and had some stay on his Vette. They tear up paint quick!)

dmginc 08-04-2011 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyrfan (Post 3566743)
Really? Won't the spray hurt the paint?

no, i lived in Florida for like 2 years, and on the news down there they had a report on doing just that. i tried it and it was great, didnt harm paint at all. love bug guts are corrosive to paint and will eat through it.

seminolejon 08-04-2011 09:48 AM

Thanks for the tips. I already have Meguir's Ultimate spray on hand. I'll just clean it often.

I am a Florida State grad, too. Gators suck. Go Noles.

SlingShot 08-04-2011 11:05 AM

Quote:

Just don't use the Butter flavored spray, you won't be able to keep the trolls away from your car ...

bhall82 08-04-2011 11:13 AM

WD40 works

Sir Nuke 08-04-2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jagerday (Post 3566784)
Just FYI...for those of you who did not know it. The university of Florida created love bugs. They were never supposed to get out of the lab but some escaped and now there is what I would call a "love bug epidemic" As a FSU grad i just thought I would share and hopefully create a few more UF haters out there. Every time you find yourself wanting to pull for the gators just remember all those little spots in your front bumper and root against them!

:bs:

SEMINOLE COUNTY, Fla. -- It’s that time of the year-- love bug season. Despite their name, few people really enjoy when love bugs pop up in May and September.

Despite urban myths, love bugs didn’t come about from a cloning experiment, they didn’t escape from a research facility, and they weren’t bio-engineered to attack mosquitoes.

Bug experts say the bugs hitched a ride on a ship heading from Central America to Texas in the mid 1920s. The invasion then continued around the Gulf of Mexico, since the heat and humidity is perfect for them.

By the 1940s, they had arrived in Florida.

Each female lays up to 350 eggs. Larvae feed on decaying plants, but adults really don’t serve a benefit.

“Their sole purpose in flying around -- mating and laying more eggs,” said Dr. Lance Osbourne with the University of Florida.

Love bugs can cause some damage. When their acid-filled bodies squash onto cars, they attract bacteria. The mix of the bacteria and acid can etch paint and ruin the finish.

Protecting Your Car
“The best thing to do is throw a hand wax on your car,” said Matt Snyder with Bill’s Car Wash.

The wax will help in removing the bugs with a soft sponge and soapy water.

“Don't use cooking spray on the front of your car, that just bakes the bugs into the front of your car,” said Snyder.

Kman 2011 ss 08-04-2011 11:20 AM

Good coat of wax & every time I stop all the fresh love bugs get cleaned off asap & I put a quick spray wax on after getting them off. A few minutes cleaning up when you get to where your going will save you a huge headache if you let them sit for any length of time.

Shuffler 08-04-2011 11:36 AM

I use a lambs wool mit...... while it was not good for the lamb, it's great for your car. :D

Detail spray every week.

SlingShot 08-04-2011 11:38 AM

They are as bad as the Mayfly aka. (fishfly) up north. I have seen a time or two in Detroit when they had to get out the trucks and street cleaners just to get them off the roads ...

spyderbuddy 08-04-2011 11:42 AM

LOOK Really wash really good then a relly good Wax I like Meguirs, after you wax Then Wax, And Then Wax. Man you can not have enough wax on it during Love bug season

SSBUSDRVR 08-04-2011 11:52 AM

Quote:

Ok, all Florida people. Love Bug season is approaching (September and May).
Not again. :facepalm: Time flies when your having fun. After many years of dealing with them you learn to live with them. If you don't like keeping your car prepared and clean they can be a major PITA and will damage the finish if your finish is neglected.
Keep the car waxed. Get them off ASAP. Someone on here from S.FL turned me onto to Poorboys Bug Squash Bug Remover Concentrate and their MF Bug towel.Works great and would not do without it now.Use Bounce FabSoftner Sheets for touchup. Park car in garage and donot drive until they are gone.;)

http://www.poorboysworld.com/bug-squash.htm

CaniacFan 08-04-2011 12:08 PM

Love Bug - I thought this was going to be about Volkswagen's or something. Never heard of one - but sounds messy..

Camaro45thAE 08-04-2011 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaniacFan (Post 3567808)
Love Bug - I thought this was going to be about Volkswagen's or something. Never heard of one - but sounds messy..

When you run through them (inevitable on the road since they are attracted to carbon dioxide), your car ends up like this daily:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3156/...d79cda178f.jpg

Birm 08-04-2011 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaniacFan (Post 3567808)

LMAO-Northerner ;) jk.. they are Horrible down South

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camaro45thAE (Post 3567859)
When you run through them (inevitable on the road since they are attracted to carbon dioxide), your car ends up like this daily:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3156/...d79cda178f.jpg

Worst part is, this is normal after highway driving :mad0260:

Modern07 08-04-2011 12:19 PM

Wet Bounce Sheet - I was amazed when I discovered that these actually work!

mdsbuc 08-04-2011 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jagerday (Post 3566784)

:thumbdown: Misinformed Hater.....

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...1&d=1312481953

SSBUSDRVR 08-04-2011 06:05 PM

Quote:

:thumbdown: Misinformed Hater.....
Yes completely a myth.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/lurkers/lovebugs.asp

JLE58 08-05-2011 01:09 AM

I lived in flordia for a few years and hated love bug season!! I also always thought love bugs were a myth untill living in flordia. Good wax with often waxing is the key. Alot of those bug off sprays will strip the wax if you use them you will need to wax after. If i remember right the love bugs liked things that were white for some odd reason.