Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Will i hook up? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30542)

69 Camaro 09 07-02-2009 02:28 PM

Will i hook up?

Hey guys, tracked my Camaro once so far and couldn't hook up on the street tires (even at 17 pounds in them). I am looking into a drag radial and coming up with the Nitto 555R, 305/35/R20.

I am running at 470rwhp, and will probably plan to be around 510

Do you think i will hook up with the Nitto?

THE EVIL TW1N 07-02-2009 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69 Camaro 09 (Post 642681)
Hey guys, tracked my Camaro once so far and couldn't hook up on the street tires (even at 17 pounds in them). I am looking into a drag radial and coming up with the Nitto 555R, 305/35/R20.

I think those small sidewalls are going to hurt you. It will be tough, but you should be able to get in a good run or two IMO.

speedster 07-02-2009 03:06 PM

Depending on how often you are going to take it to the track, you may want to consider the smallest diameter wheels you can fit that will clear the brakes. Other than that, the Nittos are presently (I think) the widest drag radial that will fit the Camaro. Getting power to the ground is always a challenge.

rayhawk 07-02-2009 03:19 PM

Unless you are putting those on the stock rims, you should find a set of 18's that will clear the rotors, then get a similar od tire for those rims. If it is a street car you probably want a different set of tires/rims for the track anyway.

2010 SS RS 07-02-2009 05:02 PM

Sounds like a good problem to have. What mods have you done to boost rwhp by 100? I agree that a set of 18" for the track as wide as you can get and just get some drag slicks for the track. Why mess with the drag radials if it is going to just be at the track on them anyway. The drag slicks will be a better buy and you will get max bite and should be good to go will into the higher rwhp numbers you are seeking. And you will be able to enjoy those smoking hot burnouts without chewing away at the tread. Love hearing about this type of problem.

SSRider 07-02-2009 05:46 PM

Quote:

Obviously if you can find a better wheel/tire combo that will hook up, that will be better than what I am about to suggest. I would and have done this. This advice assumes you are not using launch control successfully or you have an A6.

Get with your tuner and log some launches, two or three. Then have your tuner take out some timing just in the area of the timing table that generally applies to your launch in first gear. This will allow you to bring down the hp/tq a little so you can hook up better at a high rpm so as to still get off the line quickly. You may want to do this in combination with a wheel/tire improvement. I do not have my M6 SS yet so I have not been able to work with the launch control. Also could you please put your mods in your sig so we can better advise you more quickly. BTW I had very good luck hooking up my C5 with the BFG drag radial.....very sticky.

I am wondering how well the launch control is going to help with hooking up over 450 rwhp/tq?? :chevy:

69 Camaro 09 07-02-2009 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2010 SS RS (Post 643196)
Sounds like a good problem to have. What mods have you done to boost rwhp by 100? I agree that a set of 18" for the track as wide as you can get and just get some drag slicks for the track. Why mess with the drag radials if it is going to just be at the track on them anyway. The drag slicks will be a better buy and you will get max bite and should be good to go will into the higher rwhp numbers you are seeking. And you will be able to enjoy those smoking hot burnouts without chewing away at the tread. Love hearing about this type of problem.

TVS 2300 got me the boost in HP/TQ. First A6 with one :)

I definitely agree with you guys that an 18" tire would be the best bet to go with, but i was also looking into something thicker for street use (cosmetic look wise). So i want to go with the 20" (if it will hook).

i do not have the cash to buy 18" tire AND rim to go with it :( especially if i want a new set for the street also.. Plus the car won't be at the track too often, i just really want to hook up when i make it out to the next "PINKS All out" in September.

2010 SS RS 07-02-2009 09:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 69 Camaro 09 (Post 643456)
TVS 2300 got me the boost in HP/TQ. First A6 with one :)

I definitely agree with you guys that an 18" tire would be the best bet to go with, but i was also looking into something thicker for street use (cosmetic look wise). So i want to go with the 20" (if it will hook).

i do not have the cash to buy 18" tire AND rim to go with it :( especially if i want a new set for the street also.. Plus the car won't be at the track too often, i just really want to hook up when i make it out to the next "PINKS All out" in September.

For what you will spend on Nitto's you should be good to go with these and some wheels. If you shop right you could get matching stock wheels off ebay or elsewhere as guys upgrade to aftermarket. These are about 200 a tire.

With the above being said...This is an 18 inch wheel so they would not match the 20's but if someone pulled them off an ls I think those are 18" wheels. But verify that the brembo's would fit behind first before dropping money on them. With the HP you are running you need to find some way to take some of the stress off your launches. Never ever going to do that off a 20" rim and tire cause there just is not enough sidewall.

A set of these would last for years and years based on your semi frequent drag racing. But when you go you want to be able to hook it up. Goodyear has a good tire too But you are going to find the wheel sizes too small for the brakes on a lot of tires. Nitto is one of the few that you will find 20's with. But they are so very proud of them and the compound is pretty darn hard cause they want you running them on the streets as well. They say 15k miles but that must be on a cooper cause everyone I know burns them up in under 10K. You have a good post here and I look forward to some of the real drag guys posting up their opinions. I don't know squat about shinola but have been around a few tracks learning for years. Good luck

pharmd 07-03-2009 09:21 PM

Go over on the corvette forum and see what drag radials they are running...that will give you a pretty good idea of what to do.

leviticus88 07-03-2009 11:21 PM

I'd say don't do the 555R's. They are a pretty hard compound and I ran them on my Cobalt and they wheel hopped and wouldn't hook much better than my normal 555's I run all day long.

The normal Nitto 555 is an amazing tire though for Daily Driving and weekend "joy rides". It lasts a really long time for such a tire (over 40k and still tons of tread! like 40% still left!) And they grip nice as long as it's not to cold out. I have had success with the normal 555 and have purchased a second set (18 inch) for my Cobalt.

The 555r on the other hand was pretty much a slightly better drag version of the 555 and didn't last long nor did it help really at the track.

I'd try to find a cheap set of 18 inch wheels that will fit on the brembos and run a real cheater slick or true slick with a lot more side wall. You will like it more in the long run and the effect on your times will be impressive! plus they will last seasons and seasons while the 555r won't last very long! Good luck!

SubSolar 07-04-2009 01:38 PM

With all that power on tap you should definitely get a good set of track wheels and tires to maximize gains. What track did you go to? I use to go to school in Palos Verdes.

383ss 07-04-2009 01:48 PM

no, 20" nittos will not hook up with 470rwhp.

69 Camaro 09 07-04-2009 01:54 PM

Thanks for all your help and input guys, i think im going to go with a MT ET Street Radial II, 305/45/18. Shouldn't have any problems there :)

SubSolar, i go to Fontana to race (AutoClub DragWay, or w.e its called haha)

I will just have to accept that my new street tires and rims won't be around for a while :(

garagelogic 07-04-2009 01:56 PM

Quote:

First, you should never reduce the air pressure on a street radial tire, it does not hep you get a better footprint and, in fact, has an opposite effect.

A drag radial is certainly going to help, but Nitto, IMHO, is not the best option out there. However, since it looks like you want to keep the 20" wheel on the car at the track, it might be your only option right now.