Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Clutch too sensitive (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48694)

JerseyMonte 10-23-2009 06:40 AM

Clutch too sensitive

I have had my ss man for about 6 weeks now,
and still can't get used to the clutch.
It feels like it is engaged or disengaged with no in between
I've been driving manual transmissions since
before auto came out , i've owned about 6 manual
cars.
Problem is clutch is so sensitive that it requires
very slow engagement or it will stall out the engine.
Also shifting requires a different procedure to coordinate
throttle, clutching,and shifting from gear to gear.
It's embarasing to stall at a light with someone behind you.
It doesn't happen every time though, I even keep my left
heel on the floor to steady the engagement.

mydreamcar 10-23-2009 07:16 AM

Intially I had a few problems as well, I stalled a few times, wasn't sure of the right rpms's bc my old car was different. It will start to break in for you and then you should have no problems, BTW how many miles on the car

Camaro509 10-23-2009 07:29 AM

Mine is sensitive, but nothing that can't be compensated and gotten used to after just a few miles and shifts.

Icefsh 10-23-2009 07:34 AM

Noticed the same thing. Not with stalling any more but more with trying to take off fast. Like at the friction point to full engagement, there is such a small amount of travel. It is hard to realy get a fast start without riding the clutch.

Also when shifting from 1st to 2nd you realy have to be careful on how you release clutch and accelerate without jerking. Have done better with practice. You can't just release clutch then throttle. But feather it in. All the other manuals I have owned have never been this sensitive. I agree with your observation.

Maybe it's like Allen Iverson said "We talkin about practice."

Kms 10-23-2009 07:46 AM

Hmmm- I just started driving a stick again after many years but no problems. I only stalled the car one time at a stop light. Getting better at shifting too. Not as jerky- just takes time. I would agree it is a little touchy but no complaints here. Love the power of a stick and the smooth ride.

Only issue I notice is it makes you shift from 1st to 4th quite a bit unless your really on it in 1st.

slick rick 10-23-2009 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kms (Post 1079550)
Only issue I notice is it makes you shift from 1st to 4th quite a bit unless your really on it in 1st.

That is the CAGS (computer aided gear selection AKA skip shift) kicking in. You can remove it with a skip shift eliminator or a tune.

WICKEDSS 10-23-2009 11:18 AM

I just have the seat set to where my leg only pushed the clutch to the point where it will disengaged with my leg all the way out and it makes it alot less stressfull when letting the clutch out

PAUL SS 10-23-2009 11:58 AM

My last manual was a 1999 Saturn SL1. The first few miles in the SS were a challenge for sure. You just need to experiment with different ways of engaging the clutch and using the accelerator. It should be an easy transition to the Camaro 6 speed. Good luck.

JerseyMonte 10-23-2009 04:06 PM

Glad to hear

Quote:

Originally Posted by mydreamcar (Post 1079490)
Intially I had a few problems as well, I stalled a few times, wasn't sure of the right rpms's bc my old car was different. It will start to break in for you and then you should have no problems, BTW how many miles on the car

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one,
I thought it was just me. Same as with the
the jerking when shifting from gear ro gear.
I have just turned 1 K drove it today,and tried different
ways, I think the biggest problem is having the radio too
loud and not being able to hear the revs come up
without looking at the tach, and keeping my left heel
on the floor to better support engagement
Thanks for the reply
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...wCamaro002.jpg

bono83 10-23-2009 05:08 PM

I must admit I'm having a little difficulty with the sensitivity as well, but I'm getting better. I too have owned and driven plenty of manual transmissions. Even though it's a little touchy, I really, really love this car....the best I've ever owned!

JerseyMonte 10-23-2009 05:33 PM

I have to admit

Quote:

Originally Posted by bono83 (Post 1081862)
I must admit I'm having a little difficulty with the sensitivity as well, but I'm getting better. I too have owned and driven plenty of manual transmissions. Even though it's a little touchy, I really, really love this car....the best I've ever owned!

I have owned many new cars, mostly performance
and have not had one I enjoy more than this one,
I may be an old fart [67] but I still feel the same as
I did when I got my first new one a 60 Impala 348
triple carb 4 speed.
The clutch is only a minor. I wouldn't say problem
or inconvinience but I will get it down the more miles
I put on it

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...7/default2.png

LightningSS 10-23-2009 06:01 PM

Take the return spring out and then it's smooth in and out....constant pressure...

cliffy 10-23-2009 06:27 PM

Anybody that says this clutch engagement in the Camaro is normal is making excuses, because it just plain ain't for shit. You should not have to "get used to" squat. Drive a Porsche, or even a Subaru WRX, or even my 70 Chevelle with Rockcrusher to find out how it should be. Clutch should be intuitive and a natural coordination of a stroke of your left leg and your right foot, You should not have to train your leg to do jack (compensate for anything) especially engagement points.

Anyone that comes up with a fix or adjustment I'll beat a path to their door

Scooterlee 10-25-2009 09:01 PM

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I stall the car quite a few times since I got it a month ago.
Getting better now but for a moment I thought I had no tallent driving a M6.

btw... will stalling hurt the transmission? or it just hurts your pride :D