Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V6 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   STS Turbo Reliability? Better options? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187545)

Dobbins 12-11-2011 07:41 PM

STS Turbo Reliability? Better options?

I am planning on getting the STS Rear Mount turbo on my 2LT after the spring. IS this the best option for power on a v6? Is it reliable and will I have any problems since it is rear mounted? Will there be more turbo lag? I live in Kansas and there is a shop really close that is an authorized sts dealer and can tune it so are there any better options that wouldnt require me to ship my car somewhere?

Boostpatrol 12-11-2011 07:54 PM

turbo lag shouldnt be an issue with proper sized turbos. Flow through the piping is instant in a compressed environment.

cjt037 12-11-2011 08:02 PM

get a shop that can dyno tune it for you dont trust the sts flash tune that comes with the kit.

Dobbins 12-11-2011 08:13 PM

So what is a good tune I should get?

Boostpatrol 12-11-2011 08:28 PM

Agreed. Custom tune it. Any stock flash FI tune is not good enough. Tunes need to be specific for your altitude etc.

Dobbins 12-11-2011 08:45 PM

do you guys have any specific tunes I should get? and how much that will cost?

cjt037 12-11-2011 08:55 PM

Any trusted speed shop that had the ability to tuned trifecta

KMPrenger 12-12-2011 10:14 PM

You will have to use Trifecta tuning....which basically means you will datalog the car either on the road or on the dyno. Send Trifecta the logs and they will then make the tweaks and you retune. Do this back and forth until perfect.

cjt037 12-13-2011 09:12 AM

That's not 100% true. Yes your going to have to use the trifecta tuner but thier is shops out their with the software to dyno tune. without sending to Trifecta at all

elsololobo02 12-27-2011 09:32 PM

Dobbins,

The STS turbo is a great option, if you want a turbo. There is also a twin turbo option and a soon to be released supercharger. It all depends on want you want spend and how much horse power (RWHP) that you plan to achieve. Trifecta is a repuatable company and if you call them they can put you in touch with the closest dyno tuner to your location. If there is no dealer close then you can do it via e-mail with data logging although you will not be able to maximize the tune unless you have access to a dyno that supports the Trifecta software. The rear mount is not a problem. Tubing size has a lot to do with lag as well if you get the ceramic ball bearing upgrade as it will spool about 2-300 RPM's faster. Also adding a 25% under drive pulley can add faster spool rates (love my SLP 25% under drive pulley btw). Under hood turbos do have less lag but also produce alot more heat, remote turbos do not have heat issues that the underhood turbos do.

The STS turbo with a base safe Trifecta tune will yield you about 325-345 RWHP...safely. If you add other options such as meth injection, yata yata yata, you will yield about 415 RWHP. There is also nitrous that can give you a bit more and cost alot less than the turbo option. Adding Gears 3.73:1, one piece driveshaft, Racing suspension (Pfadt baby!!!), Meth, Rotars, Brakes and reducing vehicle weight (sprung and unsprung) can have a huge effect on how your vehicle will perform.

I have a butt ton of aftermarket parts and will post the final numbers in a few months (my garage). I'm shooting for 460-480 RWHP... which will yeid that same RWHP as a ZL1 but it will cost me. If you do the right research and get with your regional speed shops they can map out a hp plan and will be able to tell you how much it will cost to get you there. You can get these kind of numbers without paying as much for a 2SS or ZL1 if you plan it all out correctly (Base models with hardly any mods). The V8's will always be able to make more RWHP as the aftermarket for them is so much broader reguardless of how may parts you put on you V6.

There is a 2SS locally that is putting down 645 RWHP with a fair amount of mods (maggie, CAI and a dyno tune). To get a V6 to do that is will take about $25-30K in parts and labor... at a minimum. So again it all comes down to how much you can/want to spend. Hope this helps you in some way.:thumbup:

CiscoBee 12-27-2011 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjt037 (Post 4157650)
That's not 100% true. Yes your going to have to use the trifecta tuner but thier is shops out their with the software to dyno tune. without sending to Trifecta at all

Can you name them??? I haven't found one shop that claims they can dyno tune the V6.

cjt037 12-27-2011 11:08 PM

Majestic motorsports in Jacksonville nc is one

elsololobo02 12-27-2011 11:25 PM

Trifecta has a complete list of authorized tuners to include dyno and remote tuners. Rev Extreme is one of the tuners in Florida. :headbang:

cjt037 12-27-2011 11:29 PM

Your.best bet is to call them like the person said above me they can tell you who had the ability