Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   2.9l turbo-diesel for camaro? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3095)

jhitson 03-06-2008 12:47 PM

2.9l turbo-diesel for camaro?

http://www.motorauthority.com/cars/g...el-powerhouse/

"There’s a good chance that this diesel could also end up in cars based on GM’s Zeta platform and be sold in territories outside Europe."

Could this be one of the V6 options? With 406 lb.-ft of tourque it should fit in nicely.

SilverTurtle 03-06-2008 12:55 PM

possibility, yes... probability, no... more likely than not, it will be available in the G8, CTS and the next generation Impala... but I just dont see GM creating a diesel sports car.

bouncertime 03-06-2008 01:14 PM

I would like to see that motor put into the Colorado and maybe the H3.

EDIT: Looks like they are going to put it in the H3, just not for North America.

stovt001 03-06-2008 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverTurtle (Post 49703)
possibility, yes... probability, no... more likely than not, it will be available in the G8, CTS and the next generation Impala... but I just dont see GM creating a diesel sports car.

The next gen Impala won't be built on Zeta, or any RWD platform, just FYI

SilverTurtle 03-06-2008 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stovt001 (Post 49730)

true, but because its a V6, a FWD variant is possible... probably not the exact same motor, but something similar to it.

Mr. Wyndham 03-06-2008 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stovt001 (Post 49730)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverTurtle (Post 49731)
true, but because its a V6, a FWD variant is possible... probably not the exact same motor, but something similar to it.

:rolleyes:
Do y'all suppose this might actually open up the possibility of RWD Impala again? AND extend the life of the Zeta platform. Supposedly, a Zeta Holden has plans to recieve this engine (Commodore?)...if that's true, then the G8, and a possible Impala could get it. This way, Zeta still has a 'purpose' to exist, what with the increased efficiency of the diesel, (even though, IMO, it does now...) and the Zeta Camaro can just "live off" their success.

Thoughts?

SilverTurtle 03-06-2008 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 49736)
:rolleyes:
Do y'all suppose this might actually open up the possibility of RWD Impala again? AND extend the life of the Zeta platform. Supposedly, a Zeta Holden has plans to recieve this engine (Commodore?)...if that's true, then the G8, and a possible Impala could get it. This way, Zeta still has a 'purpose' to exist, what with the increased efficiency of the diesel, (even though, IMO, it does now...) and the Zeta Camaro can just "live off" their success.

Thoughts?

I honestly think that the Impala may go back to being RWD, anyway, even though the plan seems to be stalled... but, no matter what, I would presume that as long as the CTS, G8, Monaro and Commodore exist, the Camaro should be safe.

Mr. Wyndham 03-06-2008 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverTurtle (Post 49743)
I honestly think that the Impala may go back to being RWD, anyway, even though the plan seems to be stalled... but, no matter what, I would presume that as long as the CTS, G8, Monaro and Commodore exist, the Camaro should be safe.

CTS?? Why...that car isn't on Zeta.....

SilverTurtle 03-06-2008 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 49744)
CTS?? Why...that car isn't on Zeta.....

because its a RWD platform that the Camaro could be moved to.

Mr. Wyndham 03-06-2008 03:15 PM

ah. :bonk:

SilverTurtle 03-06-2008 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 49749)
ah. :bonk:

and with the advent of the CTS coupe, that possibility seems even more likely... as long as there is a sister car that is a staple in the lineup, I think the Camaro will be safe... and I've tried, in my head, to find all kinds of things that the Camaro could be if the need arose :D

DGthe3 03-06-2008 03:21 PM

if I were to get a V6 Camaro, that would be the one I get. But I'd prefer that it doesn't get used in the Camaro. Very interesting to see where it gets used though