Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Garage / Tools Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   Bought a new Tig Welder, now to learn how to Tig ! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303318)

DemonZL1 06-21-2013 11:01 PM

Bought a new Tig Welder, now to learn how to Tig !

:thumbup:

I'm pretty excited. Ordered it a few nights ago. It's a Miller Diversion 180. need something to help pass the time until the camaros hows up. So i decided to finally get a Tig welder and maybe start messing around a bit.

Why Tig? the challenge and the cleanliness.

If anyone has any tips on starting off, i'm all ears. Hell, if ya wanna brag about yourself, post up some pics of your welds.

Cam 427 06-25-2013 06:11 PM

I've been thinking about the same welder. Post your results.

SUX2BU 06-25-2013 06:14 PM

I TIG welded for about 12 years. There are a lot of people who think they can TIG, but really can't. Best advice I can give is go slow when you start.

ToolFan66 06-25-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUX2BU (Post 6715136)
I TIG welded for about 12 years. There are a lot of people who think they can TIG, but really can't. Best advice I can give is go slow when you start.

Agreed!!! I welded for about 12 years as well, there is an art to it, especially with exotic metals, aluminum, chrome moly, ect!!

DemonZL1 07-01-2013 02:40 PM

been watching youtube videos and what not but haven't fired it up yet. Awaiting a power cord with adapter to run off my unused dryer outlet.

shank0668 07-04-2013 09:12 AM

From your trusted mod, CamaroSpike23
"Cut soda cans in half and weld them back together to practice tig welding."

DemonZL1 07-04-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shank0668 (Post 6750170)
From your trusted mod, CamaroSpike23
"Cut soda cans in half and weld them back together to practice tig welding."

thats some thin chit man.

i'm liking this idea http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwB4PESPAlI

Irnwkrkev 07-04-2013 02:44 PM

You need to practice indoors as a slight breeze will contaminate your weld. Tenting with weld shields or tarps can help outdoors.

Chassis work is easiest cause it's thicker, body work takes patience and staggering welds to avoid warping.

DemonZL1 07-04-2013 03:40 PM

I have a wooden craftsman work bench that i put a large sheet of steel on top of. This is in my garage and will be my practice area. i can limit airflow with the garage doors. Still just waiting on my power cord. looks to be monday for that.

I bought steel and aluminum rods as well as 100% argon. I am unsure which to do first or more of. After watching that video though, i feel aluminum may be the best option since it cools so much quicker and doesn't require constant cleaning.

I'm having a tough time understanding the walking the cup. I can see how it works but pretty much all of the videos i watch, they aren't doing that method.

looked up the cut a can in half and didn't find anything about that. did find people welding the bottoms together.

heres an update to the previous video. like this one more because i'm able to see whats too much (somewhat) and what causes certain things. can't wait to fire my welder up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotat...&v=vWNZioJ_FOc

Mr Twisty 07-04-2013 05:48 PM

Welding aluminum cans together is advanced class. Start with thick stock and work your way down.

Practice running beads on fairly thick sheet, then cut it up and check your penetration. Bad welds can look pretty.

Mr pogo 07-04-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoolStoryBro (Post 6700183)
:thumbup:

I'm pretty excited. Ordered it a few nights ago. It's a Miller Diversion 180. need something to help pass the time until the camaros hows up. So i decided to finally get a Tig welder and maybe start messing around a bit.

Why Tig? the challenge and the cleanliness.

If anyone has any tips on starting off, i'm all ears. Hell, if ya wanna brag about yourself, post up some pics of your welds.

study up on oxy-acetylene welding techniques, they apply directly to freehand tig welding.
back decades when I worked for Foster Farms I had free use of the tig welder besides using it for work, used to make fan shrouds, motorcycle chain guards and other chit.

ToolFan66 07-04-2013 07:14 PM

Use helium or helium argon mix for aluminum, and argon for steel, and stainless.

EarlyApex 08-15-2013 01:24 PM

1. Get an auto darkening helmet, it will make it easier to start a arc and see what you are doing.
2. Straight argon is fine for most of the welding a DIY will ever do.
3. Go to www.weldingtipsandtricks.com for excellant training videos.
4. Practice practice practice.

Good luck and have fun

CFD 08-15-2013 01:50 PM

Straight Argon is ok, with a 180 amp machine preheating thicker aluminum pieces will make it much easier, clean your work with stainless steel brushes, learn proper grinding of the tungsten this is important to control arc. When learning, most find steel much easier to weld than aluminum.