Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Pondering the notion of not taking delivery (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50809)

Bo Yo 11-05-2009 05:38 PM

Pondering the notion of not taking delivery

I ordered the car a few weeks back. I would expect it in early december. But as I'm doing more reading on here, I'm not feeling so confident in my decision to buy this car. I'm starting to hear more and more things I don't like. This whistling sound with the windows rolled down has me a bit bothered. In addition, I'm reading several members describe their brakes squealing. The response of "That's how they're designed" does not give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. And finally the tires are beginning to concern me. I don't want to have drop $1500 every year to buy new shoes for this thing. A 220 treadwear is extremely soft. I see people showing significant wear after less than 10,000 miles. No bueno. I mean I'm still on my original set of tires on the GT and I've got almost 60,000 on them. But of course they are 400 treadwear.

All of this has me second guessing actually buying this car. When things aren't perfect, it bothers me. I'm difficult to please I suppose. I tend to be picky on things. Maybe I should wait a year until things get ironed out?

Although, I'm now considering remaining on the dark side and going with a new GT and having the dealer install the FRP 550hp S/C kit. Oh the decisions in life.

I'm confused and displeased at the same time. Anyone done the 60 day return on a GM car yet? I suppose I could go that route if I needed to.

talwell 11-05-2009 05:48 PM

Nationwide there has only been (1) completed 60 day return - this was for a 6 speed corvette that was traded in for an automatic. There were approximately 49 other claims being processed. As well, less than 1% of the buyers take the 60 Day policy over the $500 incentive to waive it.

You state you desire perfection - but also state if not the Camaro you will get a GT. You will find that all manufacturers have good and bad - here at Camaro 5 we are very biased towards GM and almost every single member here would tell you that they do not regret the decision they made to buy thier 2010 Camaro.

mrray13 11-05-2009 05:49 PM

I don't like the tire deal myself, but I'm not going back with summer only P-Zeros when these are done either. I don't autocross, and the very minimual gain to be had doesn't outweigh the cost. So I, for one, won't be out $1500 a year for shoes, lol.

My car doesn't whistle when the windows are down.

My brakes don't squeak, but I just have the !LT RS. I will say this, metallic pads will squeak, I don't care what car, what brake, what situation. EVentually metallic pads squeak. They last longer, but they will squeak. Go composite, no squeak.

Trust me on this, you get the car, you'll love the car. I have never felt this way about owning a car, but this one does it to ya. It is worth it, that I'll guarantee.

TooCool5 11-05-2009 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo Yo (Post 1138312)
I ordered the car a few weeks back. I would expect it in early december. But as I'm doing more reading on here, I'm not feeling so confident in my decision to buy this car. I'm starting to hear more and more things I don't like. This whistling sound with the windows rolled down has me a bit bothered. In addition, I'm reading several members describe their brakes squealing. The response of "That's how they're designed" does not give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. And finally the tires are beginning to concern me. I don't want to have drop $1500 every year to buy new shoes for this thing. A 220 treadwear is extremely soft. I see people showing significant wear after less than 10,000 miles. No bueno. I mean I'm still on my original set of tires on the GT and I've got almost 60,000 on them. But of course they are 400 treadwear.

All of this has me second guessing actually buying this car. When things aren't perfect, it bothers me. I'm difficult to please I suppose. I tend to be picky on things. Maybe I should wait a year until things get ironed out?

Although, I'm now considering remaining on the dark side and going with a new GT and having the dealer install the FRP 550hp S/C kit. Oh the decisions in life.

I'm confused and displeased at the same time. Anyone done the 60 day return on a GM car yet? I suppose I could go that route if I needed to.

First off, have you considered an LS?
I don't have any of the problems your describing. My car is quiet, smooth riding, and the BF Goodrich TA tires have an approx. 600 or so treadwear rating. All this with a 304 HP engine. I'm lovin every minute of this thing.

ChriSS84 11-05-2009 05:54 PM

stick to your mustangs... That would save the car for someone who will enjoy it instead of complain about every little thing...

JJ#48Racing 11-05-2009 05:58 PM

Those seem like very minor complaints to me. Tires can be replaced with cheaper, longer lasting rubber after they wear out. And different brake pads can be changed out for cheap too. I could see you being concerned if you were coming from a BMW or something similar, but you drive a Mustang GT, I think you'll be satisfied.

GaryTucker 11-05-2009 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cash84 (Post 1138371)
stick to your mustangs... That would save the car for someone who will enjoy it instead of complain about every little thing...

Your post reeks of fanboyism...if a person can't state their concerns and ask for input...then what is this forum for? I don't think the OP is complaining about every little thing...he didn't mention the perceived paint mismatch, the peeling paint on bumpers, the breaking transmission tailshafts on early cars, the AFM problem, the "slow" L99 cars...there's quite a bit more to complain about. He is simply asking about issues that he has read about RIGHT HERE.

The OP asked a legitimate question based on his desire NOT TO WASTE $40k of his money on something he purchases. He may not have had a chance to drive the car...or may not have had a lot of time behind the wheel of one. I think it is pretty intelligent to be asking these questions versus being another disgruntled owner that is upside down in a new car and can't get out of it...

mikel441 11-05-2009 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cash84 (Post 1138371)

+1

:word:

You're gonna miss out. But, thats your loss. I've seen the SC Mustangs and was not impressed. Of course I'm bias. The Blue Beast is my fifth Fbody.

Scrappy Doo 11-05-2009 06:32 PM

Drive them both then decide. I can't say it any plainer than that.

brAnd7onX 11-05-2009 06:34 PM

The back end of a mustang looks like it was already in a wreck. Enjoy the GT!

v6sonoma 11-05-2009 06:35 PM

To be honest there's nothing to "iron out". The tires are really good tires that have excellent grip to get this, wear is sacrificed. The brake noise can happen with these high performance pads, mine don't make noise ,but others might. This is a nature of the pads in any car with high performance brakes. I have never had any wind noise with my windows down and most of the time they are (love that V8). This is not a family sedan and you can't expect it to act the same as one. The same way a Lacrosse isn't doing a 5 sec 0-60. These cars offer far more performance than ever (2010 camaro, 2010 mustang) To have concerns about brake noise and tire wear are fine and also the SS has summer only tires and uses 8 quarts of synthetic oil when changed. They are expensive to buy AND OWN. If costs are an issue than maybe this isn't the right car for you (LT maybe?). If it's quality then you don't need to worry some issues have happened as do with any new model but they were quickly fixed. This is a great quality car and you would be happy owning one. You just need to decide if it's right for your individual situation.

myold88 11-05-2009 06:39 PM

I have 1,800 miles on my 2SS/RS A6- This car is "perfect in every way" with no problems and worth every penny of the MSRP I paid for it. Whistling mirrors- Give me a break !

Number 3 11-05-2009 06:42 PM

Well all I can tell you is that not all, not even to close to many cars are as you describe.

If you take every single problem that has been posted here and assume your car would have those issue..................maybe you'd have a point.

I can tell you I have driven the CTF cars for almost 40,000 miles in the last 10 months across 2 SSs and 2 LTs. None of the issues you state were on any of the cars.

Tire wear? I guess if you got your new 400 HP Plus baby you might just go through a set of rear tires, especially if you were a Camaro loyalist that had an 8 year itch to scratch. But I can assure you that 296 had 12,000 on the clock when I turned it in and Thor was well around 10,000 by the time we returned him to Fbodfather and tire wear was not an issue................not even a little bit.

So if you are a Mustang guy trolling................beat it.

If you genuiniely ordered a Camaro, follow through. It is a truly awesome car and you will love it more than a Mustang.

swansor 11-05-2009 06:48 PM

Wait a year until things get ironed out???? Are you saying that the GT doesnt have any minor quirks either? What new car doesnt have a few uniquenesses to it.
I have owned mine for 3 months and still find excuses to run to the store just to go for a cruise. Sorry but GM got it right with this one and spending a few extra bucks on rubber is well worth it. Just my opinion of course...