Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Fbodfather says usb port in dash.... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5062)

shank0668 07-14-2008 11:26 AM

Fbodfather says usb port in dash....

Fbodfather says usb port in dash. what would you use a usb in a car for

theholycow 07-14-2008 11:30 AM

MP3s on a USB flash drive, a card in a card reader, USB hard drive, or your MP3 player (not iPod though). Anything that can be accessed as a common standard USB Mass Storage Device will work as long as plain MP3s are on it; maybe they'll support other formats and maybe even some DRM, but iPods probably still won't work.

USB port is nice, but it damn well better have a standard 1/8" aux in.

shank0668 07-14-2008 11:33 AM

you know what would be sweet if there was a projecter that lit up the winshield when you turn it on then you could connect a flash drive to program it to whatever pic you want and the factory one would say camaro

The_Blur 07-14-2008 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shank0668 (Post 89252)
you know what would be sweet if there was a projecter that lit up the winshield when you turn it on then you could connect a flash drive to program it to whatever pic you want and the factory one would say camaro

This is a very possible modification, but I wouldn't want that out of the factory. I would not want to pay for something like that. It would be far too costly.

RB43TD 07-14-2008 11:46 AM

Quote:

I'm having a hard time picturing what this would look like but it sounds like it could be pretty sweet. Are there any other cars that have this? Can you post a pic for an example?

AnEvilPenguin 07-14-2008 11:47 AM

well, as we all know that Cadillac has a lot to do with the engineering of the Camaro, and I believe caddies are starting to come with 40gb hard drives because we all know, mp3 cds are so 1999

shank0668 07-14-2008 12:02 PM

http://www.fotosearch.com/PHC013/sb10063397a-001/

shank0668 07-14-2008 12:03 PM

thats not a projection but thats what it would be like

boxmonkeyracing 07-14-2008 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 89250)
MP3s on a USB flash drive, a card in a card reader, USB hard drive, or your MP3 player (not iPod though). Anything that can be accessed as a common standard USB Mass Storage Device will work as long as plain MP3s are on it; maybe they'll support other formats and maybe even some DRM, but iPods probably still won't work.

USB port is nice, but it damn well better have a standard 1/8" aux in.

and why wouldn't it support an IPOD? All Ipod Nano's and Video's connect to the USB of the computer. it's only a software issuse and now adays why not support the #1 selling music player?

pinkcamaro10 07-14-2008 12:09 PM

Quote:

i dont know if they would do that, wouldnt it be a distraction?

MAC 07-14-2008 12:13 PM

That's just what we need as we're driving 70(ish) down the highway - A provocative picture popping up on our windshield. :sm0:

theholycow 07-14-2008 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing (Post 89269)
and why wouldn't it support an IPOD? All Ipod Nano's and Video's connect to the USB of the computer. it's only a software issuse and now adays why not support the #1 selling music player?

The USB port on a car stereo isn't for letting your mp3 player play music, it's just for accessing the files that are stored on it. The stero itself plays the music.

The way iPods store music is engineered specifically to prevent you from using the music that's on an iPod. They store music in a messed up way. You can put un-messed music on them as a USB Mass Storage Device, but then the iPod can't play it.

Txturbo 07-14-2008 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkcamaro10 (Post 89271)
i dont know if they would do that, wouldnt it be a distraction?

Highly illegal in Texas...unless its designed to only work when the car is parked.

rolnslo 07-14-2008 12:17 PM

Here's another reason to have a USB port in the Camaro:

Damn near every portable electronic device I own (cell phone, Zune, Crackberry, digital camera, GPS) can be charged via the USB cable when it's plugged into my PC. I'd love to have the ability to have just USB cables in my car to charge whatever needs charging instead of having multiple 12v plug-in car chargers. They take up less space when stored away and some devices can use the same cable because the plug-in connectors are the same.