Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Throttle Stops and DBW? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10295)

Xanthos 12-05-2008 01:22 AM

Throttle Stops and DBW?

So, I know the V6 will not be coming with launch control, and I know it would cost WAY too much to have them add it, but I spent some time looking into throttle stops when I had my 86 (and a cable throttle) and I was thinking about whether one would be able to use a throttle stop on a DBW system, assuming one just attached a cable onto the trailing end of the DBW pulley. This would then run through the throttle stop, which would keep the DBW from opening beyond a certain RPM as long as you held in the button to activate the throttle stop. Basically - hold button, hold clutch, hold gas. Then, you pop the clutch and the button and off you go (my idea was actually just to wire the throttle stop into the ignition safety switch - you know, the one that keeps you from starting the car if the clutch isn't depressed? That was both automatically disengage at the same time, but if I want to rev it beyond the throttle stop while parked, I can just put in neutral and take my foot off the clutch) - good in theory, but that still leaves my question.

Would this wear the s*** out of the DBW motor, or is it like a servo in that it doesn't really pull that hard if it meets more than expected resistance? I only plan on using the system a couple of times a week at best, but I don't want to kill my TB if I can avoid it. Anybody with experience on DBW systems know about this?

*****OR***** anybody with a DI CTS or with access to one want to do a quick test for me, and pop in in neutral, hold onto the throttle pulley while a friend steps on the throttle a bit? It would be easy to tell that way whether the throttle pulls too hard to validate a throttle stop. I would do it, but it seems I would look like a prat walking into a Caddy dealership just to stomp the accelerator a bit. Maybe I could convince them to let me test drive it without a salesman there... Yeah... as a poor 20 year old, I could definitely pull that one off...
- Xanthos

headpunter 12-05-2008 03:09 AM

or.....you could just learn to hold your foot at the right RPM for the best launch......

zebra 12-05-2008 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headpunter (Post 209194)
or.....you could just learn to hold your foot at the right RPM for the best launch......

sounds good to me :thumbsup:

Mr Twisty 12-05-2008 10:43 AM

Quote:

+1...Old skool

Launch control feeds off of traction control, so it's optimum to any track condition.

Inspector 17 12-05-2008 10:45 AM

Quote:

Or don't race the car.

Mr. Wyndham 12-05-2008 11:24 AM

The launch control is computer-controlled, so it integrates the throttle position sensor, and the motor's controls all in one....I don't personally like the idea of mechanically stopping a little servo that wants to keep going (or whatever type of motor it is)...sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

Robert91RS 12-05-2008 12:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I like where your head is but if you look at the pic there isn't realy any pulley to attach this to. Launch control doesn't do anything an experienced driver can't do, your brain is the biggest most powerful computer in existance and with a little practice you won't need launch control.

Xanthos 12-05-2008 04:44 PM

While it is possible to do the same thing by part throttling, when you launch you then have to floor the accelerator simultaneously - more variables means less consistency. I figured it would be something along those lines though, just hopeful that there was some kind of override to where the throttle would stop if it met resistance.
- Xanthos

Grape Ape 12-05-2008 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XanthosV6 (Post 209814)
While it is possible to do the same thing by part throttling, when you launch you then have to floor the accelerator simultaneously - more variables means less consistency. I figured it would be something along those lines though, just hopeful that there was some kind of override to where the throttle would stop if it met resistance.
- Xanthos

I'm sure it will stop moving, but it will probably also throw a code.

What you need is an electronic device that attaches to the gas peddle and feeds a static signal to the computer until you release the clutch.

Mr Twisty 12-05-2008 07:19 PM

Even with the 6...If you pop the clutch and floor it you'll still probably spin too much to get a good 60' time. Gonna take some feathering.

CamaroSpike23 12-05-2008 08:15 PM

the only thing you could do is program the cpu so that it would only allow the t/b open a certain % to hold rpm, then pop it loose to go WOT

but for a physical stopper, i wouldnt.

headpunter 12-05-2008 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XanthosV6 (Post 209814)
- Xanthos

in reality it means you need to know how fast to floor it. you need to know how fast to punch the accelerator without breaking the rear loose

CamaroSpike23 12-05-2008 09:09 PM

auto trans, stall converter, trans brake. enjoy.

Xanthos 12-05-2008 09:34 PM

Yeah, except for the fact that I haven't ever enjoyed driving an automatic car - even my buddy's 2002 SS. Manual only for me.
- Xanthos