Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Clay Bar'ing your new Maro.. and Zaino'ing Her (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20730)

Embalmer 04-30-2009 02:09 PM

Clay Bar'ing your new Maro.. and Zaino'ing Her

So guys... last weekend I spent 2 days clay bar'ing and zaino'ing like a mad man. Here's what I did:

Dawn Wash
Clay Bar - Zaino wash as lube
Zaino Wash
Z-2
Z-8
Z-2
Z-8
Z-2
Z-8
Z-CS

That took me roughly .... hmm .... like 10 hours? 10 hours over 2 days... something like that.

Anyway... so here's what I think.

Clay-Bar - If your car arrives by Truck, you do NOT need to clay bar your car. I think my clay bar'ing took like 3 tiny specs of something out of the paint - I can't be sure... but that was it. The car was as smooth as a babies butt when I got it..and the time spent clay bar'ing wasn't worth it. So I'm sure most of you will disregard this and clay bar anyway ... don't say you weren't warned that it's a waste of time though ;)

Next...the Zaino stuff...

Z-2 - The first time I used it I used too little. The damn thing says to use a very small amount...but if you use too small of an amount you won't cover your paint. Basically I put a line on the applicator along the finger tip area *(they say a dime size - I just drew a line along the edge for better coverage - about the same amount though)* and worked a 3x3 area. I put a new line of Z-2 on the applicator for every 3x3 area of the car. I ran over the same spot a couple of swipes. You will see haze build up towards the "ends" of your swipes....but may not see it all over your area - I didn't.

If you use the Z-FX like I did, you can buff it off in about 30 mins depending on how much you gouped on. It didn't flake or dust off...it just disappeared when I buffed it. It left a good shine...but on silver it looked pretty much like it did before I waxed it - shiny and new. In total I used about 1.5 oz's of Z-2 for the car and wheels (yes I did the polished alum wheels with it too.)

Next I Z-8'd her. So some people say Z-8 is harder to use than Z-6 and that Z-6 is not a replacement for Z-8. I say - whatever, Z-8 worked just fine. Maybe it's harder to buff or something but you basically spray and immediately buff a 3x3 area - about the same area you Z-2. This is where I noticed a bit more "wet" look from the paint after I Z-8'd it.

So I repeated this 3 times....and did the paint look wetter and wetter?? Umm no not really. It looked the same. Perfect and shiny.

I finished with the Z-CS and it DID in fact look pretty wet after that Z-CS coat. I plan to upkeep the car with zaino washes and Z-8 sprays. The car is new and perfect and I think that you see the "wax" effect LESS with Silver cars...but it does look perfect and beautiful.

SORRY NO PICS!! I'll take em this weekend.....

Yes, that is very unlike me I know...but I'm at work and I suck so there :D

That's my take on Zaino....looks great but it looked great off the truck too... It has been beading up rain pretty well too.... and that's it.

:thumbsup:

Embalmer 04-30-2009 02:25 PM

I'd like to add that I did Z-2 (and Z-8 but really wasn't necessary) my Flat Black Rally stripes.

It did make them darker...permanently. You also need to use a lot more Z-2 on your stripes than you do your paint - and it does take longer to cure. It looks better darker though...and they look great and now they are protected.

Ok...THAT is all :)

D1BADZ 04-30-2009 02:32 PM

Thanks for your experience, :thumbup: I felt the same way with the clay bar, the car was already smooth and free of particles. I personally do not have 12 hours to wax right now so I will wait a few months to wax, the paint is not going to get damaged in 3 months.

Moose 04-30-2009 03:43 PM

I'm looking forward to the pics.! :thumbsup:

Having been a longtime user of Zaino, I agree, clay might not be necessary. But for a little extra cost and time, I'd personally clay then polish. ;)

On a somewhat related note, I took my '99 SS to a show Tuesday night...one guy swore that the paint wasn't "factory", and it took some explanation about Zaino, etc., before he finally believed me. :D

Then later one I was approached again, and remarks about the paint came up; after explaining that it was "factory" and that I got the car to look the way it did using Zaino, I got a couple of new detailing customers. :D

My point is, Zaino is very good. :thumbsup: There are other good products available, but for my money - Zaino. :thumbsup:

Nexus6 04-30-2009 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moose (Post 446960)
I'm looking forward to the pics.! :thumbsup:

Having been a longtime user of Zaino, I agree, clay might not be necessary. But for a little extra cost and time, I'd personally clay then polish. ;)

On a somewhat related note, I took my '99 SS to a show Tuesday night...one guy swore that the paint wasn't "factory", and it took some explanation about Zaino, etc., before he finally believed me. :D

Then later one I was approached again, and remarks about the paint came up; after explaining that it was "factory" and that I got the car to look the way it did using Zaino, I got a couple of new detailing customers. :D

My point is, Zaino is very good. :thumbsup: There are other good products available, but for my money - Zaino. :thumbsup:

:word: :headbang:

I will claybar mine regardless,thats just how I am.the good thing though is since you did it right away,you wont have to work as hard down the road.You will notice when you are parked next to the same car in the same color that did not go through all the trouble,that yours will be more vibrant .I cannot wait until i get my car Just so i can have at it with my Zaino.

I say the best way to get to know every single curve,scratch,dent,or chip on a car , is to do a full detail on it. (not that this one will have any ,aside from the curves)

Visual_Perfection 04-30-2009 09:15 PM

Also.. on a light colored car.. especially silver any amount of detailing isn't going to stand out as much as it does on a nice deep, dark color.

Zaino is amazing though, I have used it on my Black Camaro I had, and on my Trailblazer I just traded in and on the Bonneville I have now both of them were light colors and they don't show the results of Zaino like the Black did.. but the protection, long lasting shine, and ease of on/off that zaino provides you just can't beat it in my opinion.

Moose 04-30-2009 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Visual_Perfection (Post 447943)
Also.. on a light colored car.. especially silver any amount of detailing isn't going to stand out as much as it does on a nice deep, dark color.

Zaino is amazing though, I have used it on my Black Camaro I had, and on my Trailblazer I just traded in and on the Bonneville I have now both of them were light colors and they don't show the results of Zaino like the Black did.. but the protection, long lasting shine, and ease of on/off that zaino provides you just can't beat it in my opinion.

:word::thumbsup:

"but the protection, long lasting shine, and ease of on/off that zaino provides you just can't beat it in my opinion."

...exactly! :bow:

b4z 05-01-2009 07:08 AM

Both of my GTOs arrived by rail to SC from Benecia California and had the most crap in the paint i have ever seen.(not an exaggeration). My'04 had so much crap in the paint(rail dust mostly) that I had to use 2 claybars and i put somoe fine line scratches in the paint because my first claybar had all that sh** in it, causing the scratches as i claybarred. I got the scratches out, and both of my silver GTOs are stunning in the light. paint is a million miles deep and the metallics pop off the car.

bobby35ny 05-01-2009 07:40 AM

Embalmer!

If you had to do it all over again, what process would you do?

-bobby

shevyman 05-01-2009 08:12 AM

yeah clay bareing your car when its new is not safe. best bet is a nice coat of real carnuba wax. but if you are like me i will put a layer of hand glaze to make the paint look wet and deep then a nice layer of nxt on it. now that zaino stuff you talk about never heard of it. i stick with what my parents used meguiers

SSOOCH 05-01-2009 08:19 AM

You guys are waxing and using clay bars this soon. I'm an anal bastard but I think that's overkill! The cars can't even be dirty yet! Do you live on dirt roads?

Moose 05-01-2009 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shevyman (Post 448687)
yeah clay bareing your car when its new is not safe.

With all due respect, that comment is not true. ;)

What is "not safe" is failing to knead the clay to a clean area once you've picked up the contaminants.

IMO, you'd want to clay asap to remove any contaminants. Waiting will only allow more to bond to the paint. If you take your time, lubricate the area where you're claying well, and continuously knead the clay to expose a clean area, you'll be fine. ;)

Meguire's also, is a good quality wax/polish. I used to use it before switching to Zaino. IMO, Zaino's protection lasts longer. ;)

Moose 05-01-2009 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSOOCH (Post 448698)
You guys are waxing and using clay bars this soon. I'm an anal bastard but I think that's overkill! The cars can't even be dirty yet! Do you live on dirt roads?

From one "anal bastard" to another, :D, even new cars can pick up contaminants sitting, waiting for shipment, as well as in transit. ;)

I'd do it (clay) for piece of mind. ;)

Sierra 05-01-2009 09:01 AM

im thinking of trying this on my truck buy I read that you need an orbital polisher and that I dont have. And I heard if your not careful you can burn the paint.