Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V8 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Supercharger or turbocharger (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2933)

Emu the Foo 02-24-2008 04:44 PM

Supercharger or turbocharger

Are you going to supercharge your camaro or turbocharge it? also what other after market parts will you add. as for me, supercharger, headers and an x-pipe. not sure not mufflers but will have to see how it sounds.

Emu the Foo 02-24-2008 04:46 PM

and i forgot a CAI. but i need the money first

Mr. Wyndham 02-24-2008 05:42 PM

We've got a nice modifications thread already in full swing here:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1655

but I'll leave this thread separate as the poll attached deals solely with Forced Induction...

Mindz 02-24-2008 06:02 PM

Several quotes from another thread. Here's my response.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindz (Post 42349)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 09'Z28 (Post 42343)
fair enough but do you really want to be the guy driving a Camaro with a turbo spooling up under the hood

You can bet your ass I will be slapping a T6 or so under my v8 vert's hood.

V8 bellow + hissing > V8 Rumble and belt whine.

Think of it as an aircraft carrier catapult.

Lock and Load.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindz (Post 42352)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TAG UR IT (Post 42350)
No kidding. Hearing that whine when you pull up to someone....boy, is it cool.

Turbo hiss:

Blower whine:

To sum it up. Turbo for me, hands down. Just gotta wait for the warranty to be up. :5thgenvert:

MCPOAJ 02-24-2008 08:32 PM

Supercharger for me its more American

WillInThe04Ranger 02-24-2008 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCPOAJ (Post 47026)
Supercharger for me its more American

QUoted for truth there haha Supercharger to me reminds me of an american muscle car,

Turbos remind me of imports and although some will use a play on words that it is being its made at GM of Canada ..... leave the turbos for honda and all the other imports.

P.S. - No matter where you get it, it's still AMERICAN LOL

Mindz 02-24-2008 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillInThe04Ranger (Post 47030)
QUoted for truth there haha Supercharger to me reminds me of an american muscle car,

Turbos remind me of imports and although some will use a play on words that it is being its made at GM of Canada ..... leave the turbos for honda and all the other imports.

P.S. - No matter where you get it, it's still AMERICAN LOL

Ferrari, lambourghini (audi/ford), Audi(ford), Bugatti, Mercedes, Chevy, Dodge, all have used Turbos in stock cars.

How American are turbos again? :thanks:

WillInThe04Ranger 02-24-2008 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindz (Post 47034)
Ferrari, lambourghini (audi/ford), Audi(ford), Bugatti, Mercedes, Chevy, Dodge, all have used Turbos in stock cars.

oooooooo shot me down lol, you have a point but in my opinion superchargers are it!

MCPOAJ 02-24-2008 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindz (Post 47034)

but they don't use turbo's in top fuel dragsters and chevy alone has more supercharged car's out right now then turbo they have the vette, cobalt, and (possibly in the future) the camaro

DGthe3 02-24-2008 09:40 PM

Well, while it is true that superchargers were first used in cars by germans, and GM produced the first car with a turbocharger in the 50's, the impression is still that superchargers are more american than turbo's. perhaps is because of their use in top fuel dragsters and muscle cars. I doubt that I will add either a turbo or a supercharger to my Camaro but if I had to choose I would pick a supercharger. It just feels right, ya know?
There are advantages and disadvantages to each, and most of those problems can be worked around a bit.

But I won't be taking my car to the track except to see just what it can do. Rarely will I take it to the limits that it will have built into it. I won't feel the need to extend those limits. Anything that I will do will be relatively cheap and easy. Spending a few thousand on a supercharger doesn't quite fit into any of that. But for those that want a car thats even more badass than the Camaro already is, go for it. I want to hear what kind of numbers you guys get from it. And also your 'kill tally' :burnrubber:

Jeff 02-24-2008 09:47 PM

Supercharger all the way

Mr. Wyndham 02-24-2008 10:15 PM

I don't think either is more american than the other. I just like blowers better than the hairdryers ;). Where I see the import argument come into play is when you have more turbo than engine.:D

Gatecrasher 02-25-2008 12:27 AM

Chrysler built more turbocharged cars than anyone.

The_Stache 02-25-2008 12:54 AM

Supercharger,

Twinscrew whipple to be exact...

Dependable, safe, features, moddablility, and just plain raw power.