Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Exhaust uprgade options without voiding Warranty (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170153)

Shesabeast 09-08-2011 03:27 PM

Exhaust uprgade options without voiding Warranty

I want to upgrade my exhaust system without voiding the warranty by needing a tune. Im assuming if you put headers on, it's going to void the warranty. What type of exhaust system is avaible without needing a tune. :mad0259::drinking: Camaro SS. Also, does anyone know if the stock pipes are H pipes or X pipes or neither.

The IOM Ninja 09-08-2011 03:39 PM

Do you have an Automatic SS?

If so then your options are limited unless you tune or are okay with the amplified sound that Active Fuel Management will cause on aftermarket exhaust.

The Stig 09-08-2011 03:40 PM

No catback or axle axle exhaust requires a tune. Headers, probably need a tune but if you're really worried about warranty, get the GMPP exhaust. That won't void your exhaust warranty.

myold88 09-08-2011 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja (Post 3729265)

If so then your options are limited unless you tune or are okay with the amplified sound that Active Fuel Management will cause on aftermarket exhaust.

Solo J-pipes have great sound and NO drone at any RPM. I have the axle backs and their great on my L99 SS.

BowtieBelle 09-08-2011 03:54 PM

According to my dealer, ANY exhaust-- ANYTHING you change from factory on that car-- voids the warranty. That being said, my dealer isn't planning on saying anything to GM about my mods, and if you're friends with yours, they won't either.

shad2009 09-08-2011 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ark5thGenGirl (Post 3729369)
According to my dealer, ANY exhaust-- ANYTHING you change from factory on that car-- voids the warranty. That being said, my dealer isn't planning on saying anything to GM about my mods, and if you're friends with yours, they won't either.

that's a first i heard that...i always thought at least changing out the axle backs wouldn't dio anything...i always thought going long tubes would deff void the warranty...i guess times are changing...glad i'm in good graces with the chevy and ford dealer in the company i work for

most shops really don't mind, it all depends on where you go

BowtieBelle 09-08-2011 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shad2009 (Post 3729391)
that's a first i heard that...i always thought at least changing out the axle backs wouldn't dio anything...i always thought going long tubes would deff void the warranty...i guess times are changing...glad i'm in good graces with the chevy and ford dealer in the company i work for

most shops really don't mind, it all depends on where you go

Yeah, they made their warranty a little more explicit around the time they changed the powertrain warranty to include the water pump and a few other items. Give a little, take a lot. :mad0259:

The Stig 09-08-2011 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ark5thGenGirl (Post 3729369)

OK, I just want to do some clarification here so that people don't start flipping out. Modding any part (exhaust, CAI, headers, TB, etc) only voids the warranty for that ONE part. The only way they can void your whole warranty is if you tune. That being said IF [the dealer] can prove that the modded part is what caused the problem then they can deny you warranty work. Being denied warranty work is not the same as having a voided warranty.

Shesabeast 09-08-2011 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja (Post 3729265)

manual

cab2g 09-08-2011 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stieger (Post 3729445)
OK, I just want to do some clarification here so that people don't start flipping out. Modding any part (exhaust, CAI, headers, TB, etc) only voids the warranty for that ONE part. The only way they can void your whole warranty is if you tune. That being said IF [the dealer] can prove that the modded part is what caused the problem then they can deny you warranty work. Being denied warranty work is not the same as having a voided warranty.

this pretty much sums it up. Tunes void the powertrain warranty because they have the potential of affecting any component of the powertrain, from o2 sensors to rpm shift points to air/fuel ratios on the intake side... But if you for example buy shorty headers and they do not cause your car to create a check engine light, you most likely will not have any trouble getting your mufflers replaced if say they fill up with water and rust through in the first few years.

But what I would recommend is asking your dealer if they will honor the warranty on the rest of your exhaust if you only modify one part and that part did not clearly cause the other parts to malfunction. A lot of dealers are afraid of the GM hammer, but a lot also have common sense and will do repair work if it doesn't appear your mods caused the part in question to malfunction.

Apex Motorsports 09-08-2011 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stieger (Post 3729445)

+1 Here is some good reading from our blog on the relationship between modifying your car and warranty law. Dealership service departments say a lot of things but there is federal law on the matter.

Will This Mod Void My Warranty?

Will A Tune Void My Warranty?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shesabeast (Post 3729183)
I want to upgrade my exhaust system without voiding the warranty by needing a tune. Im assuming if you put headers on, it's going to void the warranty. What type of exhaust system is avaible without needing a tune. :mad0259::drinking: Camaro SS. Also, does anyone know if the stock pipes are H pipes or X pipes or neither.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shesabeast (Post 3729460)
manual

It is good to see some more members from The Ville! :thumbsup:

Any of the cat backs or axle backs available will not have any warranty implications or require a tune. Once you go forward of the cats is when you start running into those kinds of issues. We are big fans of Borla and Stainless Works. The two links are videos we shot with some of the other locals.

dshep214 09-08-2011 06:01 PM

Solo performance has a good cat back system for the ls3's. I have a Mach-x on my Ls3 and it sounds great.

Juiced1 09-08-2011 06:31 PM

If you're worried about your warranty stay away from long tubes. Get some high flow cats for the time being if you want to add some horsepower and if you need some more volume add a catback to go with it. You can always sell the high flow cats on the board when you're ready for headers.