Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   New Camaro Recall - Ignition Switch System / Key Fob (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363441)

NJBourne23 06-13-2014 10:03 AM

I will not be doing this recall since i can't recall a time i was ever so close my knee touched the fob. I DID however remove all my other keys from the FOB just to avoid the extra weight on the ignition switch. It's annoying when you now have too carry "2" sets of keys but easy when you run in a store and throw your fob in the pocket. If they switched to what a lot of cars have today which is the remote/keyless start, I would go and get that which is an upgrade. This is a little pointless since only 3 occurrences occurred

Shift_Rejected 06-13-2014 10:04 AM

That would be the only way I would do it... Where's FBodyFather, we need to get him on it. :thumbup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by taf21979 (Post 7741276)
I like the push button start idea. I had it in my 04 xlr ten years ago why not in 2014

wakespeak 06-13-2014 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS Jett (Post 7741235)
I'm not doing it either. You can "inadvertently" hit a regular key as well. If anything they should make it push button.

+1

If I arrange the seat for aggressive/track driving my knee does touch dangling keys (2). If I sit lower, I have to adjust the wheel down and it blocks out the gauges. That is my only gripe with this car.

BluePhoenix 06-13-2014 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OUTATIME (Post 7741279)
To Chevrolet Customer Svc:

My suggestion is that GM fix the ignition switch itself and make it less prone to being shut off by an outside object (harder to turn by hitting it with your knee) rather than take our nice flip keys away. This is bullshit. I paid for a 2010 model year car with a modern-looking key. I should not have to settle for a 2 part key as part of some "save-face campaign" safety recall.

Exactly.

I look forward to seeing how many people overall are all up in arms over this, to where they can't wait to get their car's in to service to have the keys replaced. Not all 5th gen owners are as level headed as those posting in this thread.

Notice that this recall affects only the Camaro, even though Malibu, Cruze, Sonic, and Equinox all use the same switch blade keys as the Camaro.

joeybsyc 06-13-2014 10:07 AM

Here's what they'll likely want to swap our switchblade keys for.
No thanks.

http://www.michaelhyde.com/assets/im...924205-web.jpg

http://www.shopchevyparts.com/images/22997089.jpg

KILLER74Z28 06-13-2014 10:11 AM

After 5 years of ownership I had this exact thing happen to me three weeks ago for the first time. I was adjusting my seating position (moving my knee up) at 55 MPH and lost power. I quickly realized what happen and turned the ignition back to power and was just fine. I only have two keys on my key fob a house key and my garage key. I’m a bigger guy so when I am using cruise control and resting my right leg in the up position my two attached keys do touch my knee. I’m really not worried about the recall and do not plan on having it performed.

brindleydt 06-13-2014 10:11 AM

I am not really happy about this. We all need to write chevy and make them come up with a different solution. I paid a lot of money for my car as I am sure all of you have and they need to keep it the way we want it.

Muscle Car Lover 06-13-2014 10:12 AM

Come the F on? Really? Is the above picture the key, two pieces? So annoying. How is the dealer going to recode the PASS-III system? Can they do that at the shop or should they be sending out ahead of time for new keys?

Travis64 06-13-2014 10:13 AM

This is one recall i will skip
i sit all the way back and love my key

sstephen17 06-13-2014 10:14 AM

Keeping mine as well.

JR 1 06-13-2014 10:15 AM

There is no way I'm doing it unless somehow the dealer can force it. I have a lot of warranty left so I'm sure I'll have to visit a dealer eventually. I would assume that if they do it they will deactivate or keep the current keys. You could try keeping the spare, but something tells me it would no longer function after the recall work.

This seems like a really stupid recall, especially in light of the Cobalt recall. Remember on those the weight of the separate key fob was said to be the problem so they wanted you to drive with the ignition key only? Now on the Camaro they want to ADD a separate fob? How does than make any sense? :noidea:

AGM 1LE 06-13-2014 10:15 AM

Fug that shit, I hate having more keys than i need on my keychain.
I think they are just trying to CYOA so they dont get sued in the future

OUTATIME 06-13-2014 10:17 AM

There have been plenty of solutions to make it harder to turn a key:

I had a car (don't remember which one) which required you to push the key into the ignition in order to turn it anywhere. It was spring-loaded and as soon as you let go it would lock into place in whichever position you chose. This made it harder to turn without some force, especially if your knee hit it.

I also had a 1989 Camry which required you to actually press a button with one finger in order to turn the key and pull it out of the ignition. Not saying that this should be our solution, but there are many ways to overcome this problem without pissing off all of your customers.

GM, you are showing us that you're lazy and scared of engineering a better solution than what you've given us.

OUTATIME 06-13-2014 10:17 AM

Blahhh double post. Didn't ask for that!

2010Camaro1ss 06-13-2014 10:18 AM

I will pass on this recall.

SSteven 06-13-2014 10:18 AM

I'll switch if the chip is in the key rather than the FOB.

It depends on if they put the chip in the key or the fob itself in the recall offering. Currently, the chip is inside the FOB itself rather than the inside the key.

I have an alarm on mine, so I have to carry around 2 FOBs if I want the full alarm functionality (1 mile range). If they put the chip in the key, I can leave the GM FOB at home and only need to carry my viper FOB.

Camaro_Corvette 06-13-2014 10:19 AM

This reminds me of back in the day of 2008+2009 when I demanded push button start for the Camaro. Guess they should have listened...

fgg60 06-13-2014 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR.Sarge (Post 7741064)
Yeah NOT happening! Unless it's changing to a Push-to-Start system, I will keep my flip key. That's a downgrade, so not happening.

+1 !! :amen:

RB43TD 06-13-2014 10:21 AM

No thank you. I'll be keeping my fob. Been driving it this way for four years and hasn't happened yet.

ENV US 06-13-2014 10:21 AM

I am not interested in doing this unless they change it to a push button start system. I don't need a fob with a separate key in my pocket. I think we should all patition GM to come up with a better (more contemporary) fix. Maybe we should all send an email to Fbodfather to come up with a better fix.

Retro69 06-13-2014 10:22 AM

No thanks Chevrolet. You guys need to get a corporate back bone and stop cow towing.

z28man2 06-13-2014 10:22 AM

GM Ignition Recall

Just an FYI to Everyone

Date: June 12, 2014

Subject: Stop Delivery Order

GM Reference Number 14294

Models: 2010-2014 Chevrolet Camaro

To: All Chevrolet Dealers

Attention: Dealer, Dealer Principal, General Manager, General Sales, Manager, New Vehicle Sales Manager, Used Vehicle Sales, Manager, Parts and Service Director and Service Manager

STOP DELIVERY ORDER

Effective immediately, stop the delivery of all 2010-2014 model year Chevrolet Camaro vehicles currently in transit to dealers as well as those already in new and used vehicle inventory for an ignition key issue. According to GM records, the total number of involved U.S. vehicles currently in new vehicle inventory is 34,233.

All 2010-2014 model year Chevrolet Camaro vehicles that are in dealer inventory (new and used) must be held and not delivered to customers, dealer traded, or used for demonstration purposes until further instructions are received.

Instructions for releasing the involved vehicles from this stop delivery will be provided in the near future.

Please do not call GM Technical Assistance.

END OF MESSAGE

GM CUSTOMER CARE AND AFTERSALES

tjk_art 06-13-2014 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toti (Post 7740958)

“Discovering and acting on this issue quickly is an example of the new norm for product safety at GM,” said Jeff Boyer, vice president of GM Global Safety.

5 years later... :bow: good looking out GM

abaucom21 06-13-2014 10:22 AM

I intend to keep my switchblade key fob. The weight is going to be the same for a separate key and hanging fob as is the switchblade key fob. My knee doesn't get close to fob and I don't attach any other keys on the fob key ring. I keep home keys on a separate ring, office keys on a separate ring. Fear is if I loose one set of keys I don't loose all my keys.

What I don't understand is the switchblade key fob has become common in the auto industry, why only Camaro's? If anything I would think a fob hanging from a separate key would be easier to bump or move around when driving (I have a separate hanging fob and key for my 1998 Riviera and my knee never hits the hanging fob when driving). Think there is more to this recall then released to the press as it is going to be very expensive for GM to change out keys and fobs for 511,528 Camaro's. Seriously, why can't they design an ignition switch that locks the key into place when you turn the key to start the car?

My guess would be if you take your auto in for service, they can not change anything without the owners permission. The auto belongs to you, not GM. However, in the future if you plan on selling your Camaro, most likely the recall issue will have to be fixed. I could be wrong, if in fact this is a safety issue, GM would be required to replace the switchblade key fob even ten years from now with no charge to the 'original owner'. However, if you receive the recall notice, don't get it fixed, doubt you can later claim damages.

TAG UR IT 06-13-2014 10:22 AM

And again....from the beginning...what did I say???

PUSH BUTTON START

Sounds like a much better idea NOW doesnt it, GM!!!

SMH!