Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Turbonetics guys dont waste your money!! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245688)

ParkerB57 08-22-2012 11:37 PM

Turbonetics guys dont waste your money!!

So sense installing the kit at the end of July I have had the car dyno tuned by two different shops. I was a DUMMY and never simply had a base line done with the Turbonetics canned tune.

$500 charge number 1
The first place did a custom tune and the car made 515whp and 515wtq, however the dyno graph was wavy from losing spark up top.

$550 charge number 2
Took it to another shop to have them fix the waviness in the tune and the car made 620whp and 580wtq. The guy changed the stock plugs to msd plug wires. However he also turned off all the knock sensors and tuned the car to run a 12.0-12.5 AFR which he swore was just fine, and to go "hang her guts out at the track."

Well I didn’t trust this tune at all not to mention the terrible job they did putting on my pedders suspension so I luckly got most of my money back when i discovered the terrible work and the unsafe tune.

$300 charge number 3
Mike Norris got his lab top out and did a quick and dirty tune on the mobile dyno at the Camaro fest to make the car safe enough and be able to run the autoX and drag. The car made 490whp and 500wtq.

SO I get to Colorado and I find a great shop and setup a baseline dyno tune. The car was still knocking a bit at the top end so I changed to a slightly colder plug then came with the Turbonetics kit. At the shop today before I put it on the dyno I uploaded the Turbonetics tune back into the car.

Threw it on the dyno and it made 512whp 532wtq. This is on 91 octane, 91F, 23.91 in-Hg, 5% humidity and over 6000 feet of altitude. The graph is super smooth and the car feels great again. Only mods to factory Turbonetics kit is colder plugs and msd plug wires.

I feel like a giant idiot for not trusting the Turbonetics tune and at lease seeing what it could do.

Take my word for it if your NOT looking for crazy amounts of power, just simple awesome super reliable fun, don’t waste your money on the paying for a tune.

Just my opinion

Ben

Jessika 08-23-2012 12:27 AM

This is a great post. People are quick to knock the manufacturer tunes.

I am glad your story ended up well, I thought it was going to be a 'blown motor' thread.

K32 Camaro 08-23-2012 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessika (Post 5480831)
This is a great post. People are quick to knock the manufacturer tunes.

I am glad your story ended up well, I thought it was going to be a 'blown motor' thread.

+1

Now turn up the boost to 30 and make it so.

grocerygetter 08-23-2012 07:07 AM

Cool.

Mike Norris 08-23-2012 10:42 AM

Glad I could help Ben and get her safe for the event at least, but I never did catch up with you to get the funds from ya. You can call me if need be at 407-616-2518.

Let me know and talk to you soon.

Mike Norris

ParkerB57 08-23-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Norris (Post 5481922)
Glad I could help Ben and get her safe for the event at least, but I never did catch up with you to get the funds from ya. You can call me if need be at 407-616-2518.

Let me know and talk to you soon.

Mike Norris

Yeah Im real sorry buddy I dropped the ball on that one, calling you now.

Ben

Pro Stock John 08-23-2012 11:21 AM

Maybe a moderator could revise the title, I read it like "don't get their turbo kit!"

JLE58 08-23-2012 11:22 AM

Yeah I thought the same thing John.

ParkerB57 08-23-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynosteve (Post 5481384)
The Turbonetics base tune is very good especially for the 91 octane, great to see you enjoying your car.

Steve I want to thank you and your guys for the support they gave me, I called your shop a few times while I was installing the setup and they were very helpful and quick to help me even though I wasnt a paying customer. HUGE :headbang::clap: to RDP for that.

Ben

ParkerB57 08-23-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John (Post 5482087)
Maybe a moderator could revise the title, I read it like "don't get their turbo kit!"

I guess I should have added dont wast your money on TUNING, opps

outlawprostreet 08-23-2012 06:01 PM

Thanks for sharing your experience Parker! I've got the stock Turbonetics tune right now also. 11.0-11.2 a/f ratio on my wideband and I like the safety net of being tuned for 91 since i run 93. Have you gone to the track yet?

jordan 572 08-23-2012 10:29 PM

I had ran the canned tune with the turbonetics kit and read richer than 10.0 on my afr gauge. I expected rich since it was a canned tune but not that bad, it was so rich it would cut out sometimes. Ted tuned my car just through data logging and it feels way better than the canned tune, a lot better. Still have to hit the dyno to finish the tune but Ted is the man to go to for sure. Another happy jannetty racing customer.