Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   When is the Z/28 available? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288474)

Zedave 04-10-2013 03:10 PM

When is the Z/28 available?

My sales guy is trying to get some info, he told me it's the same old GM crap. Announce it's coming, then nothing. I want to get one for my collection. My cars are only driven a few times a year, I realize I'm going to get bashed for this, but my cars are willed to my grandchildren and must be kept as close to new as possible as long as I'm alive

GoldenBear 04-10-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zedave (Post 6407811)
My sales guy is trying to get some info, he told me it's the same old GM crap. Announce it's coming, then nothing. I want to get one for my collection.

Chevrolet has stated the the new Z/28 will be available in Spring 2014.

Quote:

My cars are only driven a few times a year, I realize I'm going to get bashed for this, but my cars are willed to my grandchildren and must be kept as close to new as possible as long as I'm alive

I don't follow the logic that since your cars are willed to your grandchildren that your cars must be kept as close to new as possible as along as you're alive. Does driving your cars and enjoying them while you're alive prevent you from willing them to your grandchildren?

slomaro3.4 04-10-2013 03:38 PM

^^I think he is looking at them as an investment. A z06 and an SRT8, but it'll be a long time before those start going up in value.

GoldenBear 04-10-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slomaro3.4 (Post 6407901)
^^I think he is looking at them as an investment. A z06 and an SRT8, but it'll be a long time before those start going up in value.

If one wants an investment to will to one's grandchildren, there are many better options than cars.

For example, at the end of 1969 if one had invested $7,200.00, the price a of new 1969 9560 COPO Camaro, in Procter & Gamble, a typical low risk blue chip stock (not a high growth tech stock), and held that stock until today, one would have about $1,074,000. One could buy about 18 new 2013 ZL1s with that amount of money today.

Bomino 04-10-2013 04:01 PM

spring 2014

EB&D 04-10-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomino (Post 6407969)
spring 2014

Heard the same thing at the NYIAS from a reputable source...

Zedave 04-10-2013 05:48 PM

My cars are not investments, simply something I want to pass on. I grew up poor and had nothing and was given nothing, started my own company and now can easily afford whatever I want. I enjoy having them and want my grandchildren to enjoy them as well. BTW spring 2014 is dissapointing, hoping to have one sooner

GoldenBear 04-10-2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zedave (Post 6408367)
I enjoy having them and want my grandchildren to enjoy them as well.

I still don't understand how driving your cars and enjoying them while you're alive prevents you from willing them to your grandchildren and having them enjoy your cars as well?

snapp32e 04-10-2013 06:11 PM

It's not for you or anyone to understand, it's called personal preference. Quite simple in reality.

Zedave 04-10-2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snapp32e (Post 6408470)
It's not for you or anyone to understand, it's called personal preference. Quite simple in reality.

thanks

carman II 04-10-2013 06:46 PM

Q1

Quote:

My sales guy is trying to get some info, he told me it's the same old GM crap. Announce it's coming, then nothing. I want to get one for my collection. My cars are only driven a few times a year, I realize I'm going to get bashed for this, but my cars are willed to my grandchildren and must be kept as close to new as possible as long as I'm alive

At first I wondered why it would take so long but after learning that the Wixom GP build center is being moved to Bowling Green with a scheduled Q1 '14 startup, maybe they need to wait for LS7 engines.

right to travel 04-10-2013 07:05 PM

id say expect the same fun that 2012 ZL1 guys had to apply to waiting for the Z/28

LOWDOWN 04-10-2013 07:11 PM

ZL1 was announced @ Chicago Auto Show '11, in Feb/11, and went into production Q-1 of '12. This ZEE is announced Mar/13 and goes on sale "Spring '14"...similar turnaround timeframe.

GoldenBear 04-10-2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snapp32e (Post 6408470)

If people simply stated what they meant, it just might be quite simple in reality. However, I've found that people quite often don't clearly state what they mean.

If something is a personal preference, then for the sake of clarity and to avoid potential unwanted questions one would be better served by clearly and simply stating it as a personal preference rather than stating it as a logical A requires B claim.

For example one can simply state, "My cars are willed to my grandchildren and I would like my cars to be in near new condition when my grandchildren receive them," instead of using the form, "My cars are willed to my grandchildren, and must (i.e., are required to) be kept as close to new as possible as long as I'm alive."

The first example clearly states a personal preference, while the latter is stated as a requirement without respect to any personal preference.

Of course, one can simply ask one's question without adding any information unrelated to one's question and be more likely to avoid any unwanted clarifying questions. What's the reason to announce to those on this forum that one grew up poor and was given nothing and can now afford whatever one wants?

Blueclyde 04-10-2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomino (Post 6407969)
spring 2014

Which means as long as shipments occur prior to 6/21/14 it's technically still spring. Expect validation to take the maximum with the potential for some issue requiring additional work. Expect production to start later than you anticipate. Expect an extended QC hold prior to shipments. All of this is totally normal.

Everybody should adjust their expectations now so there's no complaining next March/April/May.

90503 04-10-2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenBear (Post 6408723)
If people simply stated what they meant, it just might be quite simple in reality. However, I've found that people quite often don't clearly state what they mean.

If something is a personal preference, then for the sake of clarity and to avoid potential unwanted questions one would be better served by clearly and simply stating it as a personal preference rather than stating it as a logical A requires B claim.

For example one can simply state, "My cars are willed to my grandchildren and I would like my cars to be in near new condition when my grandchildren receive them," instead of using the form, "My cars are willed to my grandchildren, and must (i.e., are required to) be kept as close to new as possible as long as I'm alive."

The first example clearly states a personal preference, while the latter is stated as a requirement without respect to any personal preference.

Of course, one can simply ask one's question without adding any information unrelated to one's question and be more likely to avoid any unwanted clarifying questions.

Or one could simply answer the basic question, and mind one's own business as well....

Bad@ssCamaro 04-10-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOWDOWN (Post 6408695)
ZL1 was announced @ Chicago Auto Show '11, in Feb/11, and went into production Q-1 of '12. This ZEE is announced Mar/13 and goes on sale "Spring '14"...similar turnaround timeframe.

That's going to be one short production run :confused0068:

GoldenBear 04-10-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90503 (Post 6408749)
Or one could simply answer the basic question

Which I did in my initial reply.

90503 04-10-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenBear (Post 6408776)
Which I did in my initial reply.

lol...No worries, brother..lol...I think what we are gonna see is a lot more "new guys" (see post counts) who are eye-balling these cars...And folks of lifestyles and means that will make your head spin...lol...I'd just cut 'em some slack and not scare them off...lol...

LOWDOWN 04-10-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro (Post 6408754)
That's going to be one short production run :confused0068:

Gen-5 Z/28s will build from Q2/14 to Q2 or Q3/15, for a total run of roughly 14-18 months, spread over 2 Model Years ('14-'15).

This relatively short run is a contributor to the likely price point of the car. All those component and development costs have to be borne by a smaller number of end products...

Gen-6 Camaro will arrive Q3 or Q4/15 as a Model Year '16 car.

FINALLYSATISFIED 04-10-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Dealerships don't know anything about the car. They have some sort of meeting in the next 9 days or something like that to discuss the car, etc. I saw dates going around. I don't think telling us about your collection will speed up the process. You have to wait just like everybody else unfortunately.

FINALLYSATISFIED 04-10-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zedave (Post 6408367)
My cars are not investments, simply something I want to pass on. I grew up poor and had nothing and was given nothing, started my own company and now can easily afford whatever I want. I enjoy having them and want my grandchildren to enjoy them as well. BTW spring 2014 is dissapointing, hoping to have one sooner

Started from the bottom now we here...

Zedave 04-11-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED (Post 6408976)
Dealerships don't know anything about the car. They have some sort of meeting in the next 9 days or something like that to discuss the car, etc. I saw dates going around. I don't think telling us about your collection will speed up the process. You have to wait just like everybody else unfortunately.

This is a car forum, is it not? I'm talking about cars.
I stated that I want a Z/28 for my small collection and to pass down, everyone that has more than one car states it in there signature, are you this way with others that have multiple cars:der:

LOWDOWN 04-11-2013 01:22 PM

ZEDave, if you're calling your Canadian Chev dealer, they'll be even further in the dark. There's a rumble that the Z/28 may be scarce/unavailable in Canada, like the coming SS Sedan which WON'T be offered in Canada direct from GM...

LOWDOWN 04-11-2013 01:45 PM

BTW, folks, with 3000+ dealers and 5-25 salespeople per store AND a probable scarcity of Z/28s over the roughly 15-18 month build cycle, the "average" Chev salesperson will wisely concentrate their time and interest on Cruzes and Sonics and Silverados and...

In otherwords, the likelihood of the "average" Chev salesperson actually making a commi$$ion from the sale of a ZEE is almost the same as winning PowerBall...sadly...

OldScoolCamaro 04-11-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOWDOWN (Post 6411773)
BTW, folks, with 3000+ dealers and 5-25 salespeople per store AND a probable scarcity of Z/28s over the roughly 15-18 month build cycle, the "average" Chev salesperson will wisely concentrate their time and interest on Cruzes and Sonics and Silverados and...

In otherwords, the likelihood of the "average" Chev salesperson actually making a commi$$ion from the sale of a ZEE is almost the same as winning PowerBall...sadly...

...and in all probability being able to obtain one will fall into a similar odds catagory.......let the chase begin.

Zedave 04-11-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOWDOWN (Post 6411681)
ZEDave, if you're calling your Canadian Chev dealer, they'll be even further in the dark. There's a rumble that the Z/28 may be scarce/unavailable in Canada, like the coming SS Sedan which WON'T be offered in Canada direct from GM...

Yikes, I hope I can get one.

LOWDOWN 04-11-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zedave (Post 6412194)
Yikes, I hope I can get one.

Might wanna poll your nearest dealer(s) in Flor-Ida...just a thought...

willhe64 04-11-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOWDOWN (Post 6411773)

Same as the odds of an Average Salesman actually caring whether or not he puts you in the car you want instead of making as much money off you as he can for the least amount of effort.

G8GT4now 04-11-2013 05:42 PM

Hey Zedave, please adopt me as one of your grandchildren!

I promise to keep the cars in mint condition.

james347 04-11-2013 05:51 PM

Soon. Keep trying.

14pilot 04-11-2013 09:06 PM

I would run from a sales guy at any dealership.

As there maybe only be a few hundred (how about 602 built to honor the 602 1st run for 1967?) to a couple thousand made, anyone determined to get one needs to get with the right Dealership. One that has a real shot at getting an allocation.

I would skip sales guys and go straight to the fleet sales manager and work directly with him. The fleet managers I've dealt with over the years play it straight. I've never had any issues buying this way.

Ok, the fleet manager is still a sales guy, but likely the most experienced sales guy at the dealership. He knows exactly how to put your deal together, and he is very unlikely to jerk you around. You can still expect him to be in the position of having to pass the dealership's high demand price premiums on to you.

b4z 05-05-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenBear (Post 6407964)
If one wants an investment to will to one's grandchildren, there are many better options than cars.

For example, at the end of 1969 if one had invested $7,200.00, the price a of new 1969 9560 COPO Camaro, in Procter & Gamble, a typical low risk blue chip stock (not a high growth tech stock), and held that stock until today, one would have about $1,074,000. One could buy about 18 new 2013 ZL1s with that amount of money today.

When I think about all the money I have blown on cars I hate to read stuff like this. My mom bought $5000 worth of Exxon stock in 1978. Iirc it was $3.21 share and 16Xx shares. In 2006, the year before she died she had 9600 shares worth over $800,000. All in 28 years. Crazy stuff, it just kept splitting and she wouldn't sell any because she didn't want to pay the capital gains off the $3.21. Frugality has its rewards.

14pilot 05-05-2013 02:04 PM

True, but you can't do a burn out with stocks - LOL !!!

oldfriend 05-05-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b4z (Post 6507615)
When I think about all the money I have blown on cars I hate to read stuff like this. My mom bought $5000 worth of Exxon stock in 1978. Iirc it was $3.21 share and 16Xx shares. In 2006, the year before she died she had 9600 shares worth over $800,000. All in 28 years. Crazy stuff, it just kept splitting and she wouldn't sell any because she didn't want to pay the capital gains off the $3.21. Frugality has its rewards.

Can you do the numbers on the , lets say AAPL.
Oh but on the other hand I am sure that someone somewhere lost his shirt , many times over , on the option buying the car or the stock
It can and will go both ways

b4z 05-05-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldfriend (Post 6507634)
Can you do the numbers on the , lets say AAPL.
Oh but on the other hand I am sure that someone somewhere lost his shirt , many times over , on the option buying the car or the stock
It can and will go both ways

I used to buy a new Z28 every year on $5 hr. bought 5 in 5 years.
I don't even want to think about apple.
It is actually kind of a sad story. My dad had polio and always wanted to,go to England. A lot,of fear about not having enough money so they never did anything, went anywhere or spent any of it.