Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Mods for a good 1/4 mile? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316883)

Snidely Whiplash 10-21-2013 10:50 PM

Gears and drag radials are the quickest way to a lower ET without the engine wear of the laughing gas. If you're running an automatic transmission, a change of torque converters would help the lower 3.91 gear launch the car. The 3.91 gear will not let your stock converter flash into the torque curve as quick the stock gears.

IneedAZ 10-22-2013 07:33 AM

Personally i would not do drag radials til last...Lighter wheels for racing yes, but not the tires as u will find you dont spin now and are unlikely to have a problem with traction with most mods with an Automatic. I just ran at the track saturday with a 100shot of nitrous and using street tires and 3.91 gears and still didnt have a traction problem. The Vredestein tires do a good job..Use the money towards something else

fsusmithc2 10-28-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 (Post 6987011)
I happen to have a brand new set of 3.55 auto v6 gears for sale in the classifieds... ;) ;)

Do you now? Hmm. ;)

Well 3.55 is better than 3.45 I suppose. Doesn't shift the peak hp/tq numbers as much and is probably more of a compromise between the stock 3.27 (or less for 2LS peeps) and the better 3.91.

Still have to do an SS or 1LE swap to get LSD/posi though correct? Gears are great but if only one wheel spins, you're still not doing a burnout. That's why I've been sitting on the edge of the water box to do mine now instead of rolling past it (yes nannies are off).

lscamaro 10-28-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fsusmithc2 (Post 7134823)
Do you now? Hmm. ;)

Well 3.55 is better than 3.45 I suppose. Doesn't shift the peak hp/tq numbers as much and is probably more of a compromise between the stock 3.27 (or less for 2LS peeps) and the better 3.91.

Still have to do an SS or 1LE swap to get LSD/posi though correct? Gears are great but if only one wheel spins, you're still not doing a burnout. That's why I've been sitting on the edge of the water box to do mine now instead of rolling past it (yes nannies are off).

I think deciding what gears you're going to go with is more of a personal choice. As many have said, the 3.91 gears increase the fun factor a bunch, which I can definitely see. They also increase city MPG and barely decrease highway MPG. If you're a big highway driver, you might not want to sacrifice MPG but if you're a city driver, the gain in MPG and gain in "fun factor" are both big pluses. I will say that if you're going to do the conversion for the LSD I would personally go ahead and do the 3.91 at the same time, even though I'm a big highway driver, you might as well do it all at once. Just my opinion.

Camaros & Coffee Norcal 10-28-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinWithrow (Post 6982182)
I've heard some people say that a 3.91 gear won't help anything.. what would it help? and what kind of drag radials do you suggest?

if ur an m6 don't do drag radials on stock axles. i have be wanted by many members on here not to do it until i upgraded my axles. I'm taking their advice n not learning by trial and error.

fsusmithc2 10-28-2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lscamaro (Post 7134998)
I think deciding what gears you're going to go with is more of a personal choice. As many have said, the 3.91 gears increase the fun factor a bunch, which I can definitely see. They also increase city MPG and barely decrease highway MPG. If you're a big highway driver, you might not want to sacrifice MPG but if you're a city driver, the gain in MPG and gain in "fun factor" are both big pluses. I will say that if you're going to do the conversion for the LSD I would personally go ahead and do the 3.91 at the same time, even though I'm a big highway driver, you might as well do it all at once. Just my opinion.

I'm definitely more city than highway so going all the way is really the best choice, I agree. My bank account, on the other hand, has objections. :rolleyes: