Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   New cam/longtubes/CAI for road courses (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321397)

Orange Crush 1LE 10-04-2013 01:51 AM

New cam/longtubes/CAI for road courses

3 Attachment(s)
I just upgraded my machine with the following:

ARH longtube headers, high flow cats and cat-back exhaust
Roto-fab CAI
"Track Cam" from Synergy Motorsports (New design, not yet on website. Call them to order it)
Rockers, pushrods, double springs, Etc.
Dyno tune by Synergy

The results were surprisingly good, considering I asked for a cam that was optimized for the beating that engines must endure on road courses. So Rick at Synergy designed a relatively mild cam that won't abuse the valve springs. The lift is high but is less than a typical drag cam, so that if god forbid I miss a shift, my pistons won't become intimately acquainted with my valves :lol:

I'm very happy with the results: 478 RWHP, 445 Ft-Lbs to the rear wheels!

The idle is slightly lumpy, just enough so that there is no question that this bad machine is cammed. It sounds the way a muscle car should. And the complete ARH exhaust system has a nice deep sound. Not as loud as my friend's Borla Atak, but it roars when you get on it. Nearly drone free. Maybe just a touch of drone when cruising at around 1500 RPM, but that's in bog territory and I don't often go there, LOL. Very smooth and well mannered on the street, no bucking or other issues.

I also decided to make it look good under the hood. I've had fast cars before, but the engine bays were always fugly. So this time I went with some Roto-fab engine covers, carbon look intake cover, and and carbon look CAI. Some pieces are painted to match the factory Inferno Orange Metallic paint. Maybe they're not go-fast goodies, but hey you only live once.

UPDATE: I tracked the car at Buttonwillow, and my top speed on the road course went from 113 MPH to 130 MPH. The changes were the engine mods plus new R-compound 315's. I've added a video of the exhaust note below. Click the last link in my signature to see what it sounds like from inside the car, at Buttonwillow :big grin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuLZ5...ature=youtu.be

LS3 SS 10-04-2013 08:08 AM

That's pretty awesome that you finally found a custom grind that will work with your HPDE's and makes good power. Keep us updated on your events.

Birm 10-04-2013 08:28 AM

Congrats man, love the engine bay btw :)

JDP Sales 10-04-2013 11:03 AM

Congrats! Nice numbers!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007

Denis 10-04-2013 11:43 AM

very nice. i was wondering what kind of cams road course guys went with.

1977and2010 10-04-2013 12:33 PM

Nice. I think you'll surprise more than just Boss 302s.

Orange Crush 1LE 10-04-2013 04:06 PM

Thanks guys. The cam is the "Track Cam" custom grind by Synergy Motorsports. He keeps the specifics of his cam designs quiet, but as you can see they work well. I've seen the specs, and it's not as radical as some of the popular bigger cams. If any other track rats want a broad torque band and a cam that will treat your valve springs right on the road course, Rick at Synergy Motorsports is your man.

Orange Crush 1LE 10-04-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1977and2010 (Post 7063262)
Nice. I think you'll surprise more than just Boss 302s.

That's the amazing thing about these Camaros. Such a bargain price, easy and inexpensive to modify, and is competitive with cars much more pricey. A have a friend that I track with that has a GT3 RS and we run about the same lap times, with my Camaro having a slight edge. I will also be running new R compound tires at my next tracking outing, so I'll tell him he had better bring some as well if he wants to keep up :cool:

t&t moyer 10-05-2013 02:27 AM

Very nice numbers! I'll be having a cam done with LTs over the winter and am starting the hunt for the "just right" combination. I'm not into drag racing so maybe I should look into Synergy Motorsports a bit more :) I'm more of a street going back road runner......

Cuda7050 10-05-2013 10:37 AM

When the cam was installed were any supporting components such as springs, rocker arms, lifters or oil pump upgraded? I am curious about Synergies thoughts on the necessity of these upgrades.

SPCBA 10-05-2013 10:50 AM

Nice orange...you def have nice useable power there. Cant wait till next time i see you on road course

Synner 10-05-2013 10:52 AM

Better do springs and trunions for this use/cam unless you want your engine to die. A HV oil pump on a road race car is asking for problems.

Orange Crush 1LE 10-05-2013 02:27 PM

Rockers, pushrods, double springs, sprocket, Etc. were all installed, but no change to the oil pump.

This thing pulls like a rocket. It's hard not to fry the tires. Loving it!

ssmike 10-06-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE (Post 7063948)
Thanks guys. The cam is the "Track Cam" custom grind by Synergy Motorsports. He keeps the specifics of his cam designs quiet, but as you can see they work well. I've seen the specs, and it's not as radical as some of the popular bigger cams. If any other track rats want a broad torque band and a cam that will treat your valve springs right on the road course, Rick at Synergy Motorsports is your man.

Orange, nice numbers! I'm going to be spec'ing a road course cam soon myself, probably at Lethal Racing during the Texas Fest! Did you have Synergy do the install or did you do it yourself? What makes a cam grind more suited to road course use? Less lift more duration? Do you have any videos of the idle sound?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Synner (Post 7065756)
Better do springs and trunions for this use/cam unless you want your engine to die. A HV oil pump on a road race car is asking for problems.

What is it with an HV oil pump that isn't good for road course use? What type of oil pump should be used?