Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V6 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Why no root style supercharger?? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195531)

bmorecam 01-14-2012 10:10 AM

Why no root style supercharger??

Can anyone explain why no positive displacement blower for our V6 camaro?

Ice Demon 01-14-2012 10:44 AM

I personally would not want to go with a centrifugal blower on my v6. I would prefer a roots type blower :mad0260: unfortunately I think the main reason is because of the tuning problems. Most companys don't want to use Trifecta. Also when the camaro first came out all the companys where focused on the v8 but I hope and pray that companys like Kenne Bell and Whipple will make a kit for our v6.

Mods on v6 are: K&N cai with washer bottle delete, BBK longtube headers with High flow cats, TrifectaTune and muffler delete

cjt037 01-14-2012 11:07 AM

i could see sombody putting a 3.6 kenne bell on a 3.6 camaro.

bmorecam 01-14-2012 11:08 AM

hp tuners is on the horizon so I guess we will find out if is really the tuning. I think another reason why alot of the companies have given up was because of fueling issues, but the fueling is supposedly fixed using brodix heads and two HPFP, and another option I believe is using injectors directly on top of the manifold. All thanks to Tracy.
On the flipside, Vince can do everything another tuner can do with other software...once I did hear that alot of these bigger companies think the v6 camaro is a waste of time though, EFI live one of those.:iono:

I would love to have a KB or whipple on the v6:)

cjt037 01-14-2012 11:10 AM

the fuel issue is not cheap to get around at all tho.

Ice Demon 01-14-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjt037 (Post 4318983)
i could see sombody putting a 3.6 kenne bell on a 3.6 camaro.

Yea that person would probably be me lol

cjt037 01-14-2012 11:18 AM

I would love to see that. hell i be happy with a 2.9 whipple.. but i like my garrett t-4 to.

Ice Demon 01-14-2012 11:23 AM

In about 2yr ill be going fi on my v6 and I want a roots blower period.

Ice Demon 01-14-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC2150 (Post 4319112)
Under hood clearance will be one of the big issues as you need room to have the intercooler between the blower & the heads. Other than that it is just fabbing the lower plenum to work and it can be done. We may look at that in the future with a 1900 but with the turbos and centri systems our plate is kinda full until we get funded and into a larger facility. :thumbsup:

Cool, if you ever need a car for R&D for a roots blower let me know :)

MichaelH 01-14-2012 12:12 PM

yea i would ship my car to you from cali tracy if you did a KB supercharger haha

CamaroDreams07 01-14-2012 03:06 PM

This is what I was always hoping for too

gwbates3 01-14-2012 09:51 PM

:headbang:

calbert1999 01-14-2012 10:33 PM

Probably because of the heat soak from a roots blower on a V6 would increase the IAT's way too much, and even meth wouldn't be able to resolve it.

Most people like the looks of roots blowers, but you'll also notice everybody with a roots blower also need a meth kit, while most folks with ProChargers have no need for meth because there is no heat transfer from the blower to the engine, and the cooling method used on a centri does not use "hot coolant" to cool the blower (to cool the air).

You're best bet for a blower on a V6 most likely a centri or turbo system.

scrming 01-15-2012 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calbert1999 (Post 4321541)
Probably because of the heat soak from a roots blower on a V6 would increase the IAT's way too much, and even meth wouldn't be able to resolve it.

Most people like the looks of roots blowers, but you'll also notice everybody with a roots blower also need a meth kit, while most folks with ProChargers have no need for meth because there is no heat transfer from the blower to the engine, and the cooling method used on a centri does not use "hot coolant" to cool the blower (to cool the air).

You're best bet for a blower on a V6 most likely a centri or turbo system.

Not true at all at all on roots requiring a W/M kit... Simply run a air-to-water intercooler. As for "hot coolant", dump a bag of ice in before you make a pass at the track or BETTER YET, go with the RX Super Chiller thing! LOL! Lots of folks simply run the intercooler without meth. In fact I was just talking to Lidio over at Alternative Auto and he says very few guys are opting for meth and he installs a LOT of roots type blowers. BTW, there is nothing wrong at all with a properly setup meth kit and the power gains can be very impressive!

Also not all centri's are air-to-air.... Vortech uses air-to-water... although i think they do know offer air-to-air. But with water-to-air.. put that nice big reservoir in the trunk and load it up with a big bag of ice! When you are racing in August and the ambient temp is close to 100 degree, that cold ICE WATER isn't so hot! LOL

Thing is roots type blowers have never been that available for the V6s... so don't think it's really the tuning issues... Look at the V6 Mustang. There are already a couple of centri kits out for the new 3.7 but no roots. In the previous 4.0 V6 there was only 1 kit and that was a Eaton from Explorer Express... Took them quite a while to bring that out for the 4.0 in the Mustang... So even if the tuning in the Camaro was simple, not sure we would see a root type blower available...