Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Chevy Camaro vs... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   drove a mustang, hate my camaro now (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219998)

brandonrr 04-29-2012 01:36 AM

drove a mustang, hate my camaro now

APRIL FOOLS! it is actually quite the opposite. i hated the mustang :bellyroll:

i went and test drove a 2012 base model v6 mustang today to compare it with my 2012 base model camaro v6. this was actually convenient for me, since the chevy dealership i got my car from is next door to a ford dealership.

mustang power ratings: 305hp and 280ft lbs of torque with 3453lb. curb weight
camaro power ratings: 323hp and 278ft lbs of torque with 3780lb. curb weight

with the higher torque rating and the lower weight, i figured the mustang would have a little more "get up and go" than my camaro. this test drive's purpose was to see if i was missing out on anything, since i got my camaro without test driving a mustang first. i just fell in love at first sight and had to have my 'maro.
the mustang surprised me with the lack of power it had. it seemed like i was driving a 200hp car, compared to my camaro. i even gave it the gas at very specific RPMs, knowing exactly how my camaro reacts when i punch it at those same RPMs. the only RPM range that the mustang felt even remotely close in power was at about 5500-6000RPM. even then, it still felt weaker.
the lady that was with me for the test drive was very nice and was confident in my drivings skills and could tell i knew what i was doing, so she had no problem with me testing the mustang's limits and having some fun with it. she even commented that it was fun to accelerate "quickly" and takes the turns a bit fast. if only she had gone for a ride in my camaro for comparison.

i don't know how the 2010 and 2011 v6 camaros compare in power to the v6 mustang, but i know for certain that the 2012 v6 camaro completely blows it out of the water. it is night and day. by the way, my camaro is bone stock

some other things i noticed about the mustang during my test drive:

the suspension was less stiff and more plush on the 'stang. better for comfort, but i like the way the 'maro rides better.
i had 2nd gear grind on me twice during the drive and 5th gear grind once.
the handling of the mustang "felt lighter" but wasn't as confident as the camaro by a longshot
the throttle on my camaro is a tad unresponsive, but the mustang is much worse
the exhaust note had a nice, deep growl to it when first started, but once warmed up, was very quiet and sounded a bit...um...economy car-ish
i couldn't get even close to spinning the tires once moving (i didn't try spinning them from a stop out of respect). my camaro can break traction in 1st and 2nd gear if i want to with tcs off.
i'm not gonna lie, the engine did sound smoother and "cleaner" at idle than my camaro, not that it bothers me
somehow, the mustang felt more cramped and less comfortable on the inside. my camaro is surprisingly roomier. even the back seats have more room and are more comfortable in the camaro.
also, the base model mustang does not have bluetooth like the camaro does and the interior is inferior lol

on the other hand, my dad drives a 2011 mustang GT 5.0 and that car is a beast that will effortlessly spin the tires, even in 3rd gear and just has heaps and heaps of power. it still handles worse than the camaro and is much less confident and planted on the ground.

all in all, i was very unimpressed with the mustang in almost every aspect and this experience has only increased my permagrin when i get in the camaro. :chevy:

Stealthpanda 04-29-2012 01:40 AM

Sometimes you will not find grass greener on the other side. Personally, there are only a few mustang colors I like... so that was a big thing for me. That and being disowned by my wife and mother for driving a mustang :iono:. Its such a nice thing that I enjoy my Camaro so much... being family-less seems like it would... suck? :O Cheers.

72MachOne99GT 04-29-2012 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonrr (Post 4883142)

all in all, i was very unimpressed with the mustang in every aspect and this experience has only increased my permagrin when i get in the camaro. :chevy:

Do everybody a favor next time. If you're going to review an automobile, and have nothing positive to say about it, just get to the point.

iUAE 04-29-2012 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT (Post 4883218)
Do everybody a favor next time. If you're going to review an automobile, and have nothing positive to say about it, just get to the point.

+1 :rules:

Brutal SS 04-29-2012 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT (Post 4883218)

He did make a few positive comments. :yikes:Thanks for your comparative opinion OP! :thumbsup:

Stealthpanda 04-29-2012 09:21 AM

Car review and people are in shambles. Hurrrrrrrrrrr....

2010SLVRBULIT 04-29-2012 09:25 AM

nice talking points. Didn't know V6 mustangs were that heavy..

Stealthpanda 04-29-2012 09:51 AM

Oh... error methinks. Almost positive they are 3453... 4353 is something fierce.

Fenderaddict2 04-29-2012 10:38 AM

Secretary's cars both of them. ;-)

Sweet Zness 04-29-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 (Post 4884002)

Now why is this comment funny and acceptable, but my insanely funny V6 Picture was removed?

Seriously, I didn't curse, or overtly be distasteful, nor did I step out of the bounds of decency.

Ive seen way worse TOS breaches going on in threads than my picture.

Stealthpanda 04-29-2012 11:05 AM

You are not a snowflake? :iono:
Mods got you down? :iono:

SlowSS 04-29-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 (Post 4884002)

:sm0:

motorhead 04-29-2012 11:22 AM

You are way off on the weight data that you posted. a V6 Mustang is 3523Lbs and a V6 Camaro is 3741Lb according to Ford and Chevy's websites.

cbass 04-29-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

the mustang surprised me with the lack of power it had. it seemed like i was driving a 200hp car, compared to my camaro. i even gave it the gas at very specific RPMs, knowing exactly how my camaro reacts when i punch it at those same RPMs. the only RPM range that the mustang felt even remotely close in power was at about 5500-6000RPM. even then, it still felt weaker.
I can't speak for a v6 as I test drove a v8 since that is what I was interested in, but I noticed the same thing. It "FEELS" slower. However, it is deceiving. I don't know why it would feel that way, but I assure you it isn't. The speedometer still cliimbs fast. It's just a different feeling. Depends on which one you like.

Quote:

somehow, the mustang felt more cramped and less comfortable on the inside. my camaro is surprisingly roomier. even the back seats have more room and are more comfortable in the camaro.
also, the base model mustang does not have bluetooth like the camaro does and the interior is inferior lol
It is. This one drove me looney when I looked at the stats like rear legroom because they were so close I didn't understand how with interior dimensions almost identical the camaro felt roomier. I thought I was loosing my mind. Alas, I finally found the proof that the camaro is roomier and my sanity has not been compromised nevermind what the numbers say.

Camaro:
http://image.motortrend.com/f/346022...y-interior.jpg

Mustang:
http://image.motortrend.com/f/381922...g-interior.jpg

1. There IS more rear legroom in the camaro. More than the .1 of an inch stats say.
2. The center console on the mustang extends into the rear seat room much more than on the camaro.
3. On the mustang the speakers by the driver and passenger seats pop out and into your leg space. Not so on the camaro.
4. The center console is wider on the mustang and pops into the driver and passenger leg space.

If only the camaro managed to get the hump out from the rear seats like a honda civic, then we would have more space back there.

As for the interior. I only know about the v8 so not sure if the v6 is different, but I disagree with you here. I think the mustang interior is of higher quality in some places. But I don't dislike the camaro's interior and I think people that say it is crap are crazy. I like the interior on the camaro. However, you see the mustang using aluminum in key places where the camaro uses plastic. That gives the mustang interior a slight edge.