Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   getting used to shifting on the ls3 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350367)

CamaroRS2011 03-31-2014 01:11 PM

getting used to shifting on the ls3

I just got an ls3 SS last week after trading in my 2LT RS. The old one was an auto, but the new one is manual, which I love, but I keep having one problem. My shift into second keeps grinding if I try to shift pretty quickly. I am used to just pulling straight back to get into second but it seems to want to go back and to the left. Has anyone else had this problem? Just curious if it is common or just me or my car? thanks in advance

Quick 03-31-2014 01:16 PM

Every time you grind a shift you are damaging the synchronizers.Eventually it will not go into gear at all...avoid the grind or transmission rebuilds are in your near future.

nyrfan 03-31-2014 01:17 PM

I don't have an LS3 but I've read many posts where people talk about the "2nd gear grind".

Look here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=2nd+...ww.camaro5.com

Jims Mongoose 03-31-2014 01:20 PM

Not that I've noticed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroRS2011 (Post 7541157)
I just got an ls3 SS last week after trading in my 2LT RS. The old one was an auto, but the new one is manual, which I love, but I keep having one problem. My shift into second keeps grinding if I try to shift pretty quickly. I am used to just pulling straight back to get into second but it seems to want to go back and to the left. Has anyone else had this problem? Just curious if it is common or just me or my car? thanks in advance

Unless something is wrong with the shift gate it's straight back.

Remember when you are out just shifting slowly trying to make the shifts smooth and slipping the clutch to do so, you can get into bad habits.

The leg extension for the clutch will not require you to put the clutch all the way to the floor for slow shifting, but when going quick, you have to get that clutch pedal most of the way down. Like you are trying to put your foot through the floor. Especially true if you are barely letting up on the throttle or not letting up at all ( what some call power shifting).

That's why I sometimes practice faster shifting even though I am not at WOT. Gets your muscle memory into a rhythm.

Set up seat so that you get full extension and can bottom out clutch pedal when you need to.

Just my 2.345 cents:iono:

Jim

CamaroRS2011 03-31-2014 02:23 PM

Thanks for the link to that thread! I guess it's not just me but I wish I was the problem, not the car...

Chevy_cowboy 03-31-2014 02:32 PM

Don't get in a hurry until you get used to it a bit. I've been driving sticks all my life but they're all a little different. Once you get smooth and have the muscle memory down, then you can go for fast shifts.

skipinminn 03-31-2014 03:51 PM

reember the Skip shift thingy. buy a skip shift elmanator :)

CamaroRS2011 03-31-2014 03:56 PM

It doesn't have skip shift anymore. This isn't caused by letting out the clutch too early or not letting off the gas it just happens when the rpms are 3000+ or something like that. And only in second

Chevy_cowboy 03-31-2014 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skipinminn (Post 7541582)
reember the Skip shift thingy. buy a skip shift elmanator :)

that wont cause a grind, just locks you out of 2nd. I've got a eliminator but haven't put it on, the only time I've ever seen it trigger the 1-4 message is when I was trying to make it happen. Seems like unless you drive like a grandpa it never pops up.

Jims73z 03-31-2014 06:09 PM

Most likely used car problems. Maybe have a trans shop drive it, you may just need to live with it or it could be a clutch issue.

TigerFA 03-31-2014 06:11 PM

Some Questions in front:

1. is your car new?

2. How cold?

3. Do you give her time to warm up?

4. First time Manual ever?

Will give you some advice learnt manual shift since my driving time and just got MY2014 in January during winter, keep cool its probably just an operating mistake. ;)

CamaroRS2011 03-31-2014 06:18 PM

Car is not new, roughly 42,000 miles. It has the clutch and flywheel from the ls9. Happens both cold and warm. First daily driven manual but I have driven manual before and not had this issue, but the other cars were not camaros.

steakmaker 03-31-2014 06:22 PM

I wonder if this is the "SS" we were told about in another post where the repo man beat the sh-t out of the Camaro,before delivered for auction resale.

Dupree878 03-31-2014 06:41 PM

I vote that whomever put those 42k miles on it was a crappy driver.
Mine is finicky in second when cold, and occasionally when 'performance' shifting, but it still goes in-just hard