Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Canada (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Alberta Warranty voiding? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365874)

AStrayCat 06-28-2014 12:55 AM

Alberta Warranty voiding?

So, I've got a question before I do my first modification. I've searched this forum for "Warranty" but every post references the United State's Magnuson-Moss Act.

I'm aware that modifying your car always causes warranty issues. But to what extent? If I install an Injen Cold Air Intake, in Alberta, is it purely >Damage explicitly caused by the intake, as actually proven by the dealer and not voiced, is not covered under warranty, but the rest of the warranty still applies, or is it >any modification immediately voids your entire warranty?

I can't seem to find any copy of Alberta or Federal legislation that has wording similar to the Magnuson-Moss act.

NFRNOSS 06-28-2014 01:44 AM

I have a rotofab intake, and yet I just had an oil leak fixed under warranty. They didn't even mention the modified intake.

Still, I don't know for sure what the Canadian warranty rules and regs are.

FitterMike 06-28-2014 11:41 AM

Never had a problem and I have modded every single vehicle I have ever owned 3 of them brand new. I am pretty sure that the same law applies as the US but I could be wrong. I guess what it comes down to is how hard your dealer is to deal with.

mhoskins76 06-29-2014 03:19 PM

You can do any modification you want to your car, as long as it is not what caused the specific problem to your car (and the dealer has to prove it without a doubt), they have to honor the warranty...no questions asked.

If a certain dealer gives you an issue, take it to another one.

AStrayCat 06-29-2014 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhoskins76 (Post 7781404)
You can do any modification you want to your car, as long as it is not what caused the specific problem to your car (and the dealer has to prove it without a doubt), they have to honor the warranty...no questions asked.

If a certain dealer gives you an issue, take it to another one.

I understand that information- but I'm looking for specific Canadian legislation explicitly stating so.

A lot of people quote that bit of law, but all I've been able to find is U.S. Regulation. That won't hold up here.

B-Wild 07-24-2014 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AStrayCat (Post 7781452)
I understand that information- but I'm looking for specific Canadian legislation explicitly stating so.

A lot of people quote that bit of law, but all I've been able to find is U.S. Regulation. That won't hold up here.

I'm not a lawyer but I know from a personal observation you are more than likely screwed. There was a Ford dealer here that was modifying vehicles and putting warranty claims through Ford for aftermarket tuning and modifications when owner had trouble. Ford found out and back charged the dealer, the back charge was big enough that it bankrupt the dealer. :frown:

Long story short, it was the manufacturer that indirectly voided the warranty.