Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   solid axle available? ?? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=378937)

turbofreek 09-27-2014 01:55 AM

solid axle available? ??

Been seeing all the huge cost to keep the irs. Is it possible to put a torsion bar solid axle under one of these?? Just seems so much easier and less costly for those who dont road race or autox but want a solid rear to no break or mess up by driving over the road line into the bumped pavement.

I am not an ss owner...but im shopping for one or a 50. I will be drag racing with sticky tires. I will be driving across state to state. Im a family of 4 and a massive gear head with a manual trans crackhead fix in need of that banging gear fix.
With that said. If I can get a solid axle for an ss ill just buy one. If not...well 50 for me. I like to camaro a bunch. Even though the 50 I drove today was more enjoyable...I still lean towards the ss but....its a big butt.. rearend options are crucial here. Ive got a 12 bolt laying around I could cut to fit and add mounts for the 3 link torsion setup. Im just curious if the mounts are there to use that setup??

Synner 09-27-2014 02:06 AM

http://www.moserengineering.com/comp...package-1.html

turbofreek 09-27-2014 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synner (Post 7976081)

Ok so thousands cheaper to have my chassis guy do it. Good to know. That is even without a third member. Just rediculous smh

GFORCE1320 09-27-2014 11:55 AM

More like thousands more to go solid rear.
We priced it out to go solid conversion and it was over 10K by the time you add in brakes, driveshaft and all the little stuff plus the fab work.

turbofreek 09-27-2014 08:54 PM

Why so damn much? Is there no rewr subframe or something? Hoe difficult Is it to make box mounts the the trailing arms and trans mount for the torsion arm?? Cross bar for the shocks/coilovers? Sure appears to be simple enough to me. Im not talking going with a fab 9" and bolt through center. Just an axle and tubed 12 bolt with proper mounting for brakes off a 4th gen or something low cost.

turbofreek 09-27-2014 08:57 PM

How much to upgrade the irs to handle drag racing clutch dropping at 6-700whp turbocharged on a 2 step??? Is there a lot of cost to make this possible??? My end goal is 9.90's regularly and reliable.

Synner 09-27-2014 09:06 PM

Solid axle also requires removal of the fuel tank and a fuel cell run in the trunk with associated plumbing.

It would be far simpler and with way less labor to just put in a good 9" or 12" style center section IRS setup with axles and driveshaft. There are a few camaros in the 8's with an IRS.

turbofreek 09-27-2014 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synner (Post 7977236)
Solid axle also requires removal of the fuel tank and a fuel cell run in the trunk with associated plumbing.

It would be far simpler and with way less labor to just put in a good 9" or 12" style center section IRS setup with axles and driveshaft. There are a few camaros in the 8's with an IRS.

Cost of this? I assume just a center and axles will do. Along with the after market links and arms correct? I dont mind keeping the irs but it must be reliable to handle my intentions regularly without concerns. Is there a way to swap in a terminator irs from a mustang as an alternative? ?

Synner 09-27-2014 09:25 PM

You must do the driveshaft too.
Look at Gforce or DSS websites for pricing. I don't know why you feel you must custom fabricate something. Anything can be made to fit with enough labor but I fail to see the point when excellent solutions exist and its a bolt-on endeavor for an indestructible rear. If all you're looking for is a "project" then have at it, but nothing of the sort is needed to have a trouble free diff.

turbofreek 09-28-2014 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synner (Post 7977280)
You must do the driveshaft too.
Look at Gforce or DSS websites for pricing. I don't know why you feel you must custom fabricate something. Anything can be made to fit with enough labor but I fail to see the point when excellent solutions exist and its a bolt-on endeavor for an indestructible rear. If all you're looking for is a "project" then have at it, but nothing of the sort is needed to have a trouble free diff.

Because having my chassis guy do this same setup would cost me half as much as buying it as a kit. The kit is way over priced for half a housing and some tubing with rodends or not and a set of brakes. Fab 9" housing and axles is beautiful I know cus I have one under my dart. It is not needed for anything south of 1000whp. Braced strange housing 9" with 35 spline axles is well south of 1500. Add in that bolt through billet xd center is another 1700 which this isnt included in that 5 thousand dollar kit. Neither is coil overs that I seen. So another several thousand on top of that 5k kit is ludicrous.
Please tell me im wrong.

Keeping the irs
1200 for axle shafts
12-1500 for suspension parts
Center section s60 is how much more??

H-E 09-28-2014 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbofreek (Post 7977267)
Cost of this? I assume just a center and axles will do. Along with the after market links and arms correct? I dont mind keeping the irs but it must be reliable to handle my intentions regularly without concerns. Is there a way to swap in a terminator irs from a mustang as an alternative? ?

The same 9 inch that's in Marks 6 second vette is In our 7 second 5th gen, the same pieces you would get from us The cars 60ft in the low 1.1xs and 1.2xs..Give us a call we can get you where you want to be ....

Mikes fast ss 09-28-2014 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H-E (Post 7978922)
The same 9 inch that's in Marks 6 second vette is In our 7 second 5th gen, the same pieces you would get from us The cars 60ft in the low 1.1xs and 1.2xs..Give us a call we can get you where you want to be ....

Yours? lol. The car owner is arh/Farks. :facepalm:

The DSS 9" is a bad azz piece. Couldn't be happier with mine.

Irnwkrkev 09-29-2014 04:48 AM

If you haven't started spending yet the solid rear is comparable and I would imagine much lighter.

You would save would a fuel cell and pumps vs. a bolt in high perf. fuel pump.

Add the price of suspension for a 15" wheel kit, brakes for 15" wheels, 9" with axles and driveshaft and you're pretty close to what the moser kit will cost but the moser kit will probably lose a bunch a weight.... the cross members should be moly for the price though...IMHO

H-E 09-29-2014 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikes fast ss (Post 7978940)
Yours? lol. The car owner is arh/Farks. :facepalm:

The DSS 9" is a bad azz piece. Couldn't be happier with mine.

Different screen name.....same ass