Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   So... MRT Exhaust Version 2.0 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50018)

scrming 10-31-2009 09:32 AM

So... MRT Exhaust Version 2.0

Well, I got a call from Scott at MRT the other day. He wanted do do a little more experimenting. I had the day off yesterday so I went down to MRT.

Scott's been in the automotive business for a very long times and knows everyone's tastes are different, especially when it comes to exhausts. So to that end, Scott wanted to offer us Camaro owners a system with a sound that was a bit more subdued... a more refined performance sound...

So with that in mind and based some of the comments and feedback, Scott wanted to try and improve on the original Scrming's Axle Back system... He wanted to come up with a setup that would cut down on the rasp, be better behaved in the 2000 RPM range, that was tame while you were cruising, yet be aggressive when you WANT IT TO BE! Think of it as a Street Performance version...

I'm going to hold off posting my opinions and thoughts so people can give it an unbiased listen... grab your head phones guys!

And for reference, here is the original Scrming's Axle-Back

I know the first thing you guys will want is some in cabin video... I didn't have time to get that yesterday so I will try to get out and do that today...

Ok.. disclaimer... this setup is still in the very early stages.... still working out the details.. I just wanted to share... LOL!

**** UPDATE 11/21/09 ****

Pricing has been set! MRT Ver 2.0 will retail for $549, however like Ver 1.0 MRT is setting an introductory price of $499!

Version 2.0 is now on the MRT website!
http://store.mrt-direct.com/91a177.html

http://www.johnnystacks.com/gallery/d/10892-1/ver2.jpg

For questions you can contact Kim either by phone at (734) 455-5807 or e-mail at kim@mrt-direct.com

rolnslo 10-31-2009 09:52 AM

The new video is marked as Private on Youtube. Can't watch it.

scrming 10-31-2009 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolnslo (Post 1114944)
The new video is marked as Private on Youtube. Can't watch it.

D'oah! :facepalm: Epic Fail... LOL!

Try it now!

rolnslo 10-31-2009 09:59 AM

I like the new setup. Not as quite as "harsh" (if that's the right word) as the original version. Sounds good!

FISHTAIL 10-31-2009 11:17 AM

Great Job John. :thumbsup:

It sound allot more to what I'm looking for. As long as there is no drone I'm really digging this. I was leaning towards the magnaflow or the Corsa but with the cheapest one of the two starting at almost $1,200 It's a hard pill to swallow.

What will be the price for this set up?

drivingincamaro 10-31-2009 11:25 AM

oh man bookmarked :D that sounds killer :thumbsup:

FISHTAIL 10-31-2009 11:26 AM

Is this an axle back or a cat back?

BigBOSS 10-31-2009 11:28 AM

Sounds good! Any idea what brand the mufflers/resonators are?

scrming 10-31-2009 11:33 AM

Thanks, guys!

Yes, this version is "less harsh" and more "subdued"... it definitely is not as loud... With the first setup you could very easily hear my car start up from the back side of the house... with this setup you cannot...

As for pricing... Not sure... Wish I had more info on that... but I will be sure to post more info on it as it becomes available!!!

Also... editing some in-cabin video right now!

scrming 10-31-2009 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FISHTAIL (Post 1115311)
Is this an axle back or a cat back?

This is still an axle-back..

It's basically a resonator but to me it looked kind of like a straight-thru muffler ... :iono:

As for the rest... Scott asked me to keep it a bit more under wraps for now...

Mojave 10-31-2009 11:46 AM

You can bet it will be WAY cheaper than Borla and Corsa plus it supports a great member of Camaro5.

I actually like both sounds ,but guess my wife would appreciate it not being heard from a house away. LOL

67MellowYellow 10-31-2009 12:00 PM

It would be interesting to hear a drive by without getting on the throttle so much just to hear how more normal driving sounds. It seems pretty loud in the vids except at idle. Good tone though and the rasp seems to be under control.

buddylok 10-31-2009 01:07 PM

I like the 2.0 sound ! :)

Xanthos 10-31-2009 01:16 PM

Sounds really good!

I still prefer the original kit though - I'm assuming its still going to be sold?
- X

scrming 10-31-2009 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojave (Post 1115393)
You can bet it will be WAY cheaper than Borla and Corsa plus it supports a great member of Camaro5.

I actually like both sounds ,but guess my wife would appreciate it not being heard from a house away. LOL

I really like both versions too!

I like the louder, more aggressive growl of the first version. When you rev it, it definitely has a more harsh, in your face kind of attitude... But I also like the newer version with the more refined sound! And I'm sure my wife appreciates it being noticeable quieter too!

So... it's great to have choices!

scrming 10-31-2009 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanthos (Post 1115751)
Sounds really good!

I still prefer the original kit though - I'm assuming its still going to be sold?
- X

Yes, that is was Scott was talking about yesterday... Different sounds for different folks!

Xanthos 10-31-2009 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrming (Post 1115773)
Yes, that is was Scott was talking about yesterday... Different sounds for different folks!

Awesome! Are you planning on swapping over permanently, or are you going to be running the original kit still?

I'm waiting to be able to hear the original kit with a set of those JBA shorties bolted on. The shorties should lower the pitch just a hair, which in my opinion is all it needs to be perfect. :w00t:
- X

scrming 10-31-2009 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67MellowYellow (Post 1115447)
It would be interesting to hear a drive by without getting on the throttle so much just to hear how more normal driving sounds. It seems pretty loud in the vids except at idle. Good tone though and the rasp seems to be under control.

I will try to get some normal driving video soon... Today however we are having like 20 MPH winds with 30 MPH gusts! So all you are going to hear is the WIND! LOL

scrming 10-31-2009 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanthos (Post 1115780)
Awesome! Are you planning on swapping over permanently, or are you going to be running the original kit still?

I'm waiting to be able to hear the original kit with a set of those JBA shorties bolted on. The shorties should lower the pitch just a hair, which in my opinion is all it needs to be perfect. :w00t:
- X

Think I'm going to stick with the new version for now! I know my neighbors will like that!!! I go to work at 5:30am! LOL

Xanthos 10-31-2009 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrming (Post 1115791)
Think I'm going to stick with the new version for now! I know my neighbors will like that!!! I go to work at 5:30am! LOL

Pfft. I leave for work early too. I just don't care what the neighbors think.

The other day I was cooking chicken on my indoor grill at 1 AM and I set off the fire alarm... And I live in a condo, which is only a little better than an appartment. :facepalm:
- X

scrming 10-31-2009 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanthos (Post 1115800)
Pfft. I leave for work early too. I just don't care what the neighbors think.

The other day I was cooking chicken on my indoor grill at 1 AM and I set off the fire alarm... And I live in a condo, which is only a little better than an appartment. :facepalm:
- X

I live across the street from a Judge... needless to say I do care what HE thinks! And of course with the original version I would occasionally wake the wife up when I would start my car... Trust me... if Moma's not happy, nobody's happy! LOL!

Xanthos 10-31-2009 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrming (Post 1115847)
I live across the street from a Judge... needless to say I do care what HE thinks! And of course with the original version I would occasionally wake the wife up when I would start my car... Trust me... if Moma's not happy, nobody's happy! LOL!

LMAO! :bellyroll:

Good thing I'm single.
- X

scrming 10-31-2009 01:55 PM

Some in-cabin video...

Xanthos 10-31-2009 02:03 PM

Very impressive! Especially the drop in interior resonance.

I still prefer the original though.
- X

acehole 10-31-2009 02:09 PM

Got to admit when i heard the first one i was like no way...but that sounds great...

97one 10-31-2009 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrming (Post 1115785)
I will try to get some normal driving video soon... Today however we are having like 20 MPH winds with 30 MPH gusts! So all you are going to hear is the WIND! LOL

Sounds good...:thumbsup:

OK, How about the drone from 2k to 3k compared to the orig. system ?

:chevy:

scrming 10-31-2009 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97one (Post 1115955)
Sounds good...:thumbsup:

OK, How about the drone from 2k to 3k compared to the orig. system ?

:chevy:

Really didn't notice it drone... I would say overall it's a quieter system with a very noticeable improvement in that 2000 RPM heavy resonance range...

marley. 10-31-2009 02:52 PM

Scrming I would have to say I like the first one a lot better. But I am young and I like drone and I like loud pipes. haha I want my neighbors to hear me start it up and I want people to hear me coming. lol. I think the original system sounds a lot stronger. The second one sounds really good too but not as loud as I would like. It sounds the way the car should sound stock. PS I get my MRT 1.0 installed Wednesday! Just waiting for different tips to come in.

scrming 10-31-2009 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marley. (Post 1116104)
Scrming I would have to say I like the first one a lot better. But I am young and I like drone and I like loud pipes. haha I want my neighbors to hear me start it up and I want people to hear me coming. lol. I think the original system sounds a lot stronger. The second one sounds really good too but not as loud as I would like. It sounds the way the car should sound stock. PS I get my MRT 1.0 installed Wednesday! Just waiting for different tips to come in.

Thanks for the feedback!!!

Yep, Scott and I talked about this yesterday... I really shouldn't be calling things Version 1.0 and Version 2.0.... But I'm a computer geek by trade so that's how I think... LOL!

It really needs to be more like the Race version and the Street version! LOL!

So it really will be two different systems offering different sounds for different people/tastes!

Keep me posted on your install!

scrming 10-31-2009 02:58 PM

Ok... here's a bit more from the cabin... this was yesterday during the initial test drive...

tradosaurus 10-31-2009 03:24 PM

I installed the version 1.0 axle back on my new Camaro this morning.

Installation was a bit tricky as the instructions said 3 1/2" from muffler and it seemed like I needed 3 3/4".

Also maybe I need to scoot the end of the muffler back a bit so the tips stick out a bit further as I'm getting some black crud on the back of my bumper from the mufflers.

The sound is louder than I would have imagined at startup but settles down once it idles.

I will probably put some insulation in the back of the trunk to deaden the sound as it does get a little loud for me during acceleration.

Additionally the stock mufflers are indeed heavy. Getting rid of these ought to increase the MPG.

All in all a good buy for a good system.

francone13 10-31-2009 04:38 PM

Sounds good but i like the first one better are both going to be available?

scrming 10-31-2009 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by francone13 (Post 1116572)
Sounds good but i like the first one better are both going to be available?

Yes, based on the discussion I had with Scott yesterday, MRT will offer both versions. The more aggressive, original Scrming's Axle-Back and a more refined, but toned down version 2.0. At least that is my understanding...

CatiaJockey 10-31-2009 06:47 PM

Thanks for the video's, I was sold on version 1, but daymn.... version 2 sounds awful sweet! Please keep us updated with availability and pricing.

Beauwulf 10-31-2009 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanthos (Post 1115780)

- X

You won't have to wait too long for that mod.... JBAs are on the menu for mine....

Beauwulf 10-31-2009 07:23 PM

Sounds like V2 has a back pressure problem in the midrange. There's a bit of a burble at about 4-5K sounds like. Bet your losing some torque there.

The sound is better as far as the 2K resonance goes. The misses should be happier.

I just did the Airaid intake on mine and the 2K vibration seemed toned down a bit. I'm hoping it will stay that way when the PCM "re-learns" the airflow.

Xanthos 10-31-2009 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beauwulf (Post 1117220)
You won't have to wait too long for that mod.... JBAs are on the menu for mine....

Awesome!

Video video video!
- X

scrming 10-31-2009 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatiaJockey (Post 1117132)
Thanks for the video's, I was sold on version 1, but daymn.... version 2 sounds awful sweet! Please keep us updated with availability and pricing.

Will do!!!

Scott is heading out to SEMA tomorrow and will be out of the office all next week...

The_Blur 10-31-2009 09:06 PM

That new one has a very powerful but very passive tone that will probably cover everyone that the simply loud exhaust wouldn't satisfy. You've got very easy to sell products there.

JesseJames 11-01-2009 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beauwulf (Post 1117260)
Sounds like V2 has a back pressure problem in the midrange. There's a bit of a burble at about 4-5K sounds like. Bet your losing some torque there.

Sounds like it may, but does it?