Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Oil pump kaput! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280655)

litle88 04-18-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SSCAMARO (Post 6438407)
You may find this hard to comprehend but I no longer get much a kick out of doing wrenching and I don't feel my manliness and pride are being threatened if I choose not to. I'm just not that insecure. Sounds like maybe my gumba may have stepped on your toes a time or two and does not buy in to all your opinions and alleged facts! :laugh:

I can careless about your pride or manliness but it seems like you have a complex and are threatened by guys that actually wrench. I still think you've never wrenched anyways. Ted who lives and works in Rhode Island has never stepped on my toes im in Illinois lol, further more I proved my point to him in the other Melling oil pump thread. Are you going to keep going or will you still be trolling this thread, help/support give some technical insight (I doubt that though) or just sit back in your leather recliner, have your secretary hold your calls for a few, sip on some Starbucks and chill out so you can learn. Lol

litle88 04-18-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFD (Post 6438302)
This is turning into a nightmare. Heads off, just came back from picking up gaskets and bolts but the lifter will not come out of the bore. I'm going back in with the camera to see if the bottom of the lifter is in tact, if so I will try my lifter puller.

Careful with that lifter bore bud!!
Goodluck.

CFD 04-18-2013 12:04 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This sucks. Now I'm wondering if I jumped the gun thinking it was a typical pump failure, the lifter is out but the roller,bearings and pin are missing. The odd thing is the holes in the side of the lifter where the pin presses in are in tact with no visable damage. At this point I'm not sure if the lifter failed taking the pump with it or the other way around. Where as the car never skipped a beat untill it lost pressure I'm thinking the pump failed first but it ran for such a short time I don't see how the lifter would break

Any how, the lifter bore is in good shape and the cam lobe is in tact so I'm going to put it together. I think I may drop the pan to clean it out which means i will be cutting the cross member and fabricating a bolt on one. THERE IS NO WAY ON EARTH I'M GONNA PULL THE MOTOR TO CLEAN THE PAN.

2SSCAMARO 04-18-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by litle88 (Post 6438601)
I can careless about your pride or manliness but it seems like you have a complex and are threatened by guys that actually wrench. I still think you've never wrenched anyways. Ted who lives and works in Rhode Island has never stepped on my toes im in Illinois lol, further more I proved my point to him in the other Melling oil pump thread. Are you going to keep going or will you still be trolling this thread, help/support give some technical insight (I doubt that though) or just sit back in your leather recliner, have your secretary hold your calls for a few, sip on some Starbucks and chill out so you can learn. Lol

My help/support is this: No one should be lulled to sleep in thinking they can throw a melling pump in their modded Gen5 and think there good to go for 200,000 miles like you foolishly stated. The same things that contribute to the demise of the stock pump can also damage the melling. Jacked tunes, running oil weights and types out of specs of the LS, improper installation and/or reinstallation, out of spec temps, high revs on a not fully warmed up engine, foreign particles introduced upstream of the filter while engine is opened up for head work, cam work, etc., running aftermarket oil filters that can cause a higher or lower system pressure and return rate than that of the PF48, running excessively high oil temps for prolonged periods of time, etc. etc. etc. What do you think the difference in cost would be to GM to use the melling pump or copycat pump? Would this price difference added to the sticker price of a Camaro be off putting to customers? What rational do you believe GM has for not making changes to their pump if it is costing them so much loss and giving their brand such a bad reputation?

litle88 04-18-2013 12:29 PM

^^^^said the guy that pays for everything ^^^
And has no clue about anything he's talked about....

litle88 04-18-2013 12:33 PM

CFD good call will you be replacing all the lifters?

Cam inspection is in order? IMHO hoping no other parts got damaged.

Lol at cutting the Kmember!! You sound pissed now.

litle88 04-18-2013 12:36 PM

CFD, if the lifter took a dump and parts went places then they would of not gotten past the pick up screen correct? Because the oil pathway is going up, just saying.

CGT 04-18-2013 01:12 PM

Depends on how small the pieces could have gotten ground up on their way down to the pickup. I dont believe a complete roller off the wheel could pass through the pickup. Itll be interesting to see what is found in the pan.

litle88 04-18-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CGT (Post 6438910)
Depends on how small the pieces could have gotten ground up on their way down to the pickup. I dont believe a complete roller off the wheel could pass through the pickup. Itll be interesting to see what is found in the pan.

True and true

POS Dakota 04-18-2013 02:06 PM

Wow, how the hell did that come apart???
That's a first for me. Usually the lobe is gone, there's metal all over the place, the bearings are shit and the lifter is stuck.

You lucked out!!!! Man I ain't lyin!

litle88 04-18-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by POS Dakota (Post 6439131)
Wow, how the hell did that come apart???
That's a first for me. Usually the lobe is gone, there's metal all over the place, the bearings are shit and the lifter is stuck.

You lucked out!!!! Man I ain't lyin!

He's gotta be Irish! Lol
That would of NEVEF happened to me, the lobe would of seized to the cam if it was me lol.

Mr pogo 04-18-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFD (Post 6438690)
This sucks. Now I'm wondering if I jumped the gun thinking it was a typical pump failure, the lifter is out but the roller,bearings and pin are missing. The odd thing is the holes in the side of the lifter where the pin presses in are in tact with no visable damage. At this point I'm not sure if the lifter failed taking the pump with it or the other way around. Where as the car never skipped a beat untill it lost pressure I'm thinking the pump failed first but it ran for such a short time I don't see how the lifter would break

Any how, the lifter bore is in good shape and the cam lobe is in tact so I'm going to put it together. I think I may drop the pan to clean it out which means i will be cutting the cross member and fabricating a bolt on one. THERE IS NO WAY ON EARTH I'M GONNA PULL THE MOTOR TO CLEAN THE PAN.

one would think anything that got thru the oil pickup screen and pump to jam the relief valve or the lifter wouldve left its mark on the pump rotors.
it might be the lifter collapsed and pounded a bit during the oil psi loss, lost the pin and roller and then siezed from lack of lube.
is the one that failed farthest from the lifter oil gallery supply point?
I would also roll the pushrods on a pane of glass to make sure none are bent.

mikeSS 04-18-2013 03:36 PM

swag

2SSCAMARO 04-18-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by litle88 (Post 6438601)

Quote:

Originally Posted by litle88 (Post 6439185)
He's gotta be Irish! Lol
That would of NEVEF happened to me, the lobe would of seized to the cam if it was me lol.

I've taken your advice and am now learning. I always thought the lobes were already part of the cam and therefore it would not be possible to seize to itself when it is already one unit. Oh well.