Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V8 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Here's the damage and the plan to rebuild (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312894)

Supercharged SS 08-13-2013 07:22 PM

Here's the damage and the plan to rebuild

7 Attachment(s)
Since I jacked my other read thread up with a bunch of yahoo's I'll just make a new one. Chances are this will be jacked up again but what else is new!!

They got the motor pulled and torn apart this am. It does look like then when the car hit the limiter hard, the tb closed and forced the nitrous to pack up in the intake tube. When the tb opened back up all the nitrous ran in and was dumped in the first two cylinders it found.

It melted the one piston and started to crack the second. Some of the metal jumped over to the other side of the engine and marred up a piston over there. It also melted some metal into the cylinder wall where the piston was burnt up the worst. After cleaning the metal we found the it did leave an indentation in the sleve. The rest of the engine looked fantastic and still new.

Now what to do. It makes no sense to resleeve this block. That combined with all the machining needed to get it ready just makes financial sense to me. Ted opted to go with an ERL superdeck, stock cubes. The only setback may be the lead time on the block. TBD. The rods I have, Eagle (http://texas-speed.com/p-441-eagle-h...000-bolts.aspx), still look brand new. Not even any bluing. If they, along with the stock crank, check out, they will get reused. We'll need new pistions and that's about it.

The stock heads are fine but will more than likely be milled to bump the compression. The current calculated compression is 9:7.1. I guess Ted is going to dig up the whistle test(?) to get the exact number. So that will get bumped along with changing fuel from 104 to C16 which makes my life easier since the GN is also on C16.

Just add in an LPE nitrous controller and that's about it. It'll be back to the track and see what it'll do.:happyanim:

Supercharged SS 08-13-2013 07:36 PM

Sorry. I meant for this to be in the V8 Forced Induction section. I must still be traumatized from blowing this thing up!

litle88 08-13-2013 07:42 PM

What yahoos? Lol

Sounds like a plan, I'm heading this route fortunately my block is ok! Bent exhaust valve misfortune for me bud. I'm going boost! Fak this NA stuff lol.

Keep me posted on your build bud.

Supercharged SS 08-13-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by litle88 (Post 6894709)
What yahoos? Lol

Sounds like a plan, I'm heading this route fortunately my block is ok! Bent exhaust valve misfortune for me bud. I'm going boost! Fak this NA stuff lol.

Keep me posted on your build bud.

Good luck. I'll try and keep this thread updated with the progress. :D

mlee 08-13-2013 07:50 PM

Yahoooo!!! Thread moved so I can be useful here.

rberns 08-13-2013 07:53 PM

That sucks. Good luck with your rebuild and hope it all comes out the way you want it.

Supercharged SS 08-13-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlee (Post 6894751)
Yahoooo!!! Thread moved so I can be useful here.

Thanks!! When I get some time I'll fill you in about everything in that pm.

Detoxx03 08-13-2013 08:13 PM

ERL block with Callie's rods and crank along with Diamond Pistons.

ToddB 08-13-2013 08:15 PM

Good luck with your car. It was nice meeting you and seeing your car on our vacation in july.

Supercharged SS 08-13-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxx03 (Post 6894874)
ERL block with Callie's rods and alont with Diamond Pistons.

Thanks! I will sent this info to Ted. It's out of my hands now. I'm just doing PR and finance.:facepalm:

I'm assuming coated pistons.

Turbo99 08-13-2013 08:20 PM

So...your TPIS TB closed and caused this? Did I read that correctly?

Rockit_z28 08-13-2013 08:21 PM

Good luck with the rebuild

Supercharged SS 08-13-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbo99 (Post 6894898)
So...your TPIS TB closed and caused this? Did I read that correctly?

It closed because the car broke the tires loose bad at 100' and it revved to almost 7400. It hit the limiter hard and the car shut the tb to protect itself. The car needs to protect it self from the driver more often!

Nothing to do with the TPIS. It's been money all along.

Turbo99 08-13-2013 08:30 PM

LOL, I got it! I was waiting for the slamming shut TB saga to open up on TPIS. Good to hear you have no clue how to lift...lol