Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   How does GM get by with it? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281083)

Abomb1223 03-05-2013 06:53 AM

How does GM get by with it?

Ive been reading more and more threads about the terrible paint on this car of ours and I couldnt agree more. While I maybe only have two chips, they were way too easy to get like the car is painted with dry mud. So why is GM getting away with it? No recall? Can they get enough complaints to change the way this car is painted?? I think we all paid good money for this car and the paint should reflect that!

40years 03-05-2013 07:26 AM

GM's (and ALL auto manufacturer's) hands are tied by the EPA forcing them to use water based paints instead of solvent based which has a lot more durability to it. Water based paints are notorius for their lack of durability in standing up to normal wear and tear.

motorhead 03-05-2013 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 40years (Post 6247262)
GM's (and ALL auto manufacturer's) hands are tied by the EPA forcing them to use water based paints instead of solvent based which has a lot more durability to it. Water based paints are notorius for their lack of durability in standing up to normal wear and tear.

:word:

Although, I can't explain why the paint on my Company vehicle that gets abused seems to hold up better than my Camaro did.

40years 03-05-2013 07:31 AM

I would say that it has a lot to do with the shape of the body and how it sits in relation to the ground. The Camaro sits a lot lower than most cars.

slomaro3.4 03-05-2013 07:38 AM

Quote:

They're just bitter that we aren't all driving around in plug in electrics and hybrids.

40years 03-05-2013 07:43 AM

There is probably more truth to that than we know.

Abomb1223 03-05-2013 07:47 AM

I read somewhere that we have one coat of paint and one coat of clear . . If the paint is weak from being water based then they need to do more coats!

Abomb1223 03-05-2013 07:49 AM

I had my the dealer repaint the hood after I noticed little cracks under the clear and my front bumper has been painted again as well so hopefully they will hold up a little better

LuSe4 03-05-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

So sick of hearing about how fragile GM paint is. All cars built over here are like that. Go onto another forum, I guarantee there will be bitching about paint also! My wife's 2009 Camry looks like it was sand blasted on the front. I don't blame Toyota. When the solvent based paints went away, so did durability!

Abomb1223 03-05-2013 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuSe4 (Post 6247321)

So sick of hearing about how fragile GM paint is. All cars built over here are like that. Go onto another forum, I guarantee there will be bitching about paint also! My wife's 2009 Camry looks like it was sand blasted on the front. I don't blame Toyota. When the solvent based paints went away, so did durability!

And you think this is ok? I understand what happened . . I just dont think its ok. We paid good money for durability!

40years 03-05-2013 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuSe4 (Post 6247321)

I'm not complaining, just responding to the OP's question. My front end looks like it was sandblasted also and I accept that.

SlingShot 03-05-2013 08:05 AM

The problem is that water based paint is not weaker, but it's actually harder than a solvent based paint. When a rock hits a solvent based paint, it just gets marred because it's softer where the water chips.

motorhead 03-05-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 40years (Post 6247361)
I'm not complaining, just responding to the OP's question. My front end looks like it was sandblasted also and I accept that.

Here in lies the the problem. It's the Walmart mentality. We know it's junk ,but we just live with it because it keeps cost down.

Companies know this and exploit it. That's why so many of the things we buy these days suck when it comes down to quality.

Abomb1223 03-05-2013 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorhead (Post 6247375)
Here in lies the the problem. It's the Walmart mentality. We know it's junk ,but we just live with it because it keeps cost down.

Companies know this and exploit it. That's why so many of the things we buy these days suck when it comes down to quality.

Amen!