Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New Camaro "Outclasses Mustang" (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4071)

camaro5 05-09-2008 06:19 PM

New Camaro "Outclasses Mustang"

This is an excerpt from a post by a blogger named Motor Mouth.

Apologies to Mustang fans... :chevy:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

About the only Ford product worth buying right now is the Mustang, but even then it's outclassed by the Dodge Challenger and upcoming Chevy Camaro. The 'Stang makes due with an ancient live-axle rear suspension and 4.0-liter V-6 with all the refinement of a John Deere.

Even after dropping 80 large for a Shelby-badged GT500-KR, you won't find an independent rear suspension.

As the old adage goes: You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all the people all the time. And with competition getting even tougher in the American car markets, Ford can't make due with sub-standard vehicles anymore.

http://www.independentmail.com/blogs...yopic_product/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ouch!

And there was one of those KR's on Ebay for $151,000 :iono:

:rolling5thgen:

Muscle Master 05-09-2008 06:39 PM

Now to all you chevy fans, do you still want to compete aganist the mustang or you want to give our 2TONs of pure muscle a chance

ihc95 05-09-2008 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muscle Master (Post 68604)
Now to all you chevy fans, do you still want to compete aganist the mustang or you want to give our 2TONs of pure muscle a chance

If it makes you feel better, I honestly think the Challenger is a more worthy competitor of the Camaro than the Mustang:)

The_Blur 05-09-2008 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muscle Master (Post 68604)

I'm willing to say that the Challenger is my biggest domestic concern for the Camaro. If Chevrolet doesn't manage to top Dodge's muscular monster, then GM cannot claim that the Camaro is class-leading. I think the Challenger is a great car but proposterously priced for its release. Had Dodge done a better job of positioning the car for the masses by releasing the SE version immediately, I'd think only good things about its release. Despite my concerns with Chrysler's business decisions, I have a lot of respect for their cars and have strongly considered getting a Charger or Challenger along with the Camaro. I'll definitely give the Challenger a chance.

I must say, though, that the Mustang is vastly outclassed by both competitors, Dodge and Chevy, for the next generation. This makes me feel pretty good about Chevy's growth and Dodge's future prospects.

lil_red_v6 05-09-2008 08:41 PM

a camaro will weigh less (correct me if im wrong) always look better amd out perform the mustang i will give dodge credit there going to be tuff to beat so camaro bring your a game

GhoSSt 05-09-2008 08:46 PM

You forgot to mention that the Mustang looks like hell with a AIWA boombox looking interior designed by Rubbermaid.

Muscle Master 05-09-2008 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lil_red_v6 (Post 68631)
a camaro will weigh less (correct me if im wrong) always look better amd out perform the mustang i will give dodge credit there going to be tuff to beat so camaro bring your a game

and their is still a rumor that is most likely to come true:The SRT8 engine is due for an upgrade, dodge said and they are not that much worried about winning the HP wars but they are scared that they won't keep up with Ford and GM so they are upgrading the 6.1 to a 6.4 Hemi V8 thats suppose to have increased fuel management by 10% pushing 500+ horses I think its true considering Dodge is crazy not stupid, talks about 500+ top dog engines in the maro, stang dodge be crazy to call this a bluff and stupid, this is the phony wars baby: Mustang, Camaro, Challenger

and the 09's are hitting the dealers late this fall, no date yet, and I hope they surprise us with the new engine too, or wate two more years

Mr. Wyndham 05-09-2008 11:00 PM

Sales, and public-impression wise; it's Mustang vs Camaro all the way. The Challenger is geared more towards baby-boomers, and the retro guys more than the general public, imho, to be of any concern.

Performance? Camaro will stomp all over both of them. Think about it: 400+hp, with hundreds of pounds less wieght than the Challenger AND thousands of dollars less moneys! You tell me who's going to win that?
Yep; I'm talking "base V8" vs SRT8; even though they're not even in the same trim level!!!!!!

(disclamer: the rumored 6.4 HEMI is a different story. ;))

chevys 05-10-2008 02:55 AM

Not a doubt in my mind the camaro will out class the mustang but will it ever out sell it? Remember, everybody has to make a case to the bean counters and we are at 4.00 a gallon right now. How much of a market will there be in the future for either car?

I could care less about the super duper high powered over priced stang/maro. I care about a working class mans car. The boys at GM better have a hit with the base model to compete with those girls cars cause that is what will save them both. I cant see them competing price wise to be honest.

Two things weight on my mind about the camaro(no pun intended). Will it need Jenny Craig and how much will it cost. We will find out soon enough. Before you write off the mustang keep in mind that 2011 will be the year that it will have a refresh with some significant changes. Im not sure Ford is not smart by holding their cards until then.

LS9CamaroSS 05-10-2008 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muscle Master (Post 68653)
and their is still a rumor that is most likely to come true:The SRT8 engine is due for an upgrade, dodge said and they are not that much worried about winning the HP wars but they are scared that they won't keep up with Ford and GM so they are upgrading the 6.1 to a 6.4 Hemi V8 thats suppose to have increased fuel management by 10% pushing 500+ horses I think its true considering Dodge is crazy not stupid, talks about 500+ top dog engines in the maro, stang dodge be crazy to call this a bluff and stupid, this is the phony wars baby: Mustang, Camaro, Challenger

and the 09's are hitting the dealers late this fall, no date yet, and I hope they surprise us with the new engine too, or wate two more years

I almost want to redirect you to the Charger R/T vs. G8 GT C&D comparo... the 400 hp camaro will give the 2ton plus challenger SRT8 a run for its money and have room to spare... but like dragon said... the 6.4 is a story only the LSA can handle :D

68RS 05-10-2008 06:05 AM

I've read speculation that the Mustang refresh will have independent rear suspension to compete with the likes of Camaro. However, I can't find any sources at the moment. Does anyone else remember hearing this?

Camaro_Corvette 05-10-2008 08:49 AM

I love this article, i have been saying it for years...Ford people just don't know what their missing... as for the mustang, it is getting a refresh in 2011, and for their sake, it better be a good one.

Supermans 05-10-2008 09:22 AM

The new Mustang for sure will have IRS as the older Cobra's had.. Mustang's will always sell well as long as they are well priced and have a multitude of engines and options to choose from. Dodge is playing it smart by releasing early and having a multitude of options to choose from as well. The average consumer doesn't know anything about IRS or build quality so even though Dodge in general simply has poor quality parts, its new Challenger is a very attractive vehicle at a low price for the base model's. The Camaro needs to be priced low enough at the low end to attract as many customers as the Mustang has in order for Chevrolet to make money. Enthusiasts buying the V8's are a dime a dozen with increasing gas prices. There maybe less than 200 Camaro enthusiasts that will be willing to pay over sticker to get one at launch. However having a top dog car that beats out similarly priced vehicles and show's up in magazines beating the competition in times and races will always boost sales of the lower end models that most can afford. Chevrolet being late into the market with the camaro will have to fight off a new re-designed Mustang which has the chance to be able to compete against the Camaro since it will come out a year later..The Pony car wars are back, and hopefully here to stay for many years to come...Heck, the new camaro V6 should be able to beat a 2010 Mustang GT in 0-60 and 1/4 mile times and cost less..If this is the case, Chevrolet should market the hell out this in commercials and get people excited about the V6 being a true muscle car (except it will never be for an enthusiast who wants a V8 like me ;)) Pontiac has a great commercial for the G8..Fastest car under $30,000.. Camaro should have a commercial fastest car under $20,000 if the V6 can be priced that low...

DGthe3 05-10-2008 10:16 AM

To Muscle Master:
The more reviews that I read about the Challenger, the more it seems like it is geared towards the baby boomers who want a new muscle car. Its not for the kids who want to terrorize the streets.

And GM is not worried about a 500 hp hemi. they have several engines that they can just drop in or make tweaks to to get that sort of power.