Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Autocross classification? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185385)

jazznurse 11-30-2011 11:47 PM

Autocross classification?

Does anyone have any thought on which class the ZL1 will run in? The CTS-V runs F stock, as do most Camaros and Mustangs. Do you think SCCA will see it that way?

Li0nel1234 02-27-2012 08:16 PM

doubtful

The Stig 02-27-2012 08:21 PM

I thought the ZL1 was disqualified from SCCA because of the magnetic ride :iono:

nak3dsnake 02-28-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stieger (Post 4554120)
I thought the ZL1 was disqualified from SCCA because of the magnetic ride :iono:

Correct, no mag ride in SCCA events.

pyr0b0y 02-28-2012 11:12 AM

possibly F Stock in non-SCCA associations (other autocross clubs) or SP

jazznurse 02-28-2012 11:53 AM

This is the reply I received from SCCA last fall:

Hi, Jim,

Let me start by saying, “Wow!” I’m not sure why a member of the North Hills Sports Car Club would send such an email to the SCCA. (However, it would have been nice if you had continued your SCCA membership.)

No one has requested the Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 to be classed for SCCA Solo events. So I’m not sure on what your understanding is based. I don’t think the Camaro ZL1 is even available at this time. The SCCA Solo Events Board (SEB) really likes to be able to physically see a new car model at a dealer before it gets classified, so it may be a while before anyone sees it classed in Fastrack News.

I also do not know of any production car that is not eligible to participate in SCCA Solo events. And certainly not because of the suspension. Now there are some cars that are not eligible for Stock category, but there are other categories in which to participate. There are various reasons for a “factory standard” car to be ineligible for Stock category. One reason could be availability (which will unlikely apply to the Camaro); another could be the sticker price (which I doubt applies either). Preventing a great number of car enthusiasts from participating in SCCA events would not be in the club’s best interests.

I don’t have a crystal ball, but yes, the SCCA plans to allow these cars. If production numbers are very low, the price is really high, etc. may be a factor in a decision. The Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 is in B Stock (BS), so I don’t see a reason to disallow the Camaro ZL1 from the sport.

The Corvette ZR1 is not eligible for Stock category mostly because the Corvette Z06 is very competitive in SS (Super Stock). Raising the bar on the “top” Stock class would probably have the SCCA membership (I can’t speak for North Hills Sports Car Club) up in arms without a major reorganization of the Stock category. And a lot of SCCA members are good with the classes as they are. (I’m not going to say all SCCA members are good with it because that will never happen!) The Corvette ZR1, however, is eligible for ASP – so a Corvette ZR1 driver technically would not be “forced” to the sidelines.

I’ll be glad to discuss this further.

-Doug
Doug Gill
General Manager
SCCA Technical Services
1-800-770-2055
www.scca.com

toilets 02-28-2012 11:58 AM

It better be in fs class. I'm gonna be pissed if I have to change mid season and lose all my fs points now

Rogue Leader 02-28-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toilets (Post 4557332)
It better be in fs class. I'm gonna be pissed if I have to change mid season and lose all my fs points now

Theres no way the ZL1 will be classed the same as a standard Camaro SS. :(

Brad02SS 02-28-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogue Leader (Post 4557355)
Theres no way the ZL1 will be classed the same as a standard Camaro SS. :(

Agreed, based on GT500 being BS (haha- BS) the ZL1 will probably be in B Stock as well.

toilets 02-28-2012 12:40 PM

Son of a b! I'm pulling the zl1 badges off for this season, lol!

adamgl 02-28-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toilets (Post 4557547)
Son of a b! I'm pulling the zl1 badges off for this season, lol!

V6 badges! :sm0: