Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Wheels/Tires (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   2013 ZL1 Wheels - anyone else have problems (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252996)

Skylane765 11-12-2012 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nailn it (Post 5638527)
I have the same issue with my black rims, obviously some kind of paint method issue. Looks like yours have the same issue. Where yours appear stained mine show bare metal. My guess is that those spots are where they missed the clear coat. I haven't done anything about it. Can't see it from a distance but if you get up close you can easily see it. All of my rims have it. Some worse than others.

I have the same issue, but it is not a big deal to me. I will just drive the car, driving one time gets break dust on most wheels so I am not worried about it.
It is not worth my time trying to take the car in and mess with other people work on the car. The car is not that much of a exotic car, it was built on a assembly line.

Skylane765 11-12-2012 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OVERPAR73 (Post 5801390)
The brake dust is out of control!! I have to clean the wheels after every drive to and from work, about 10 miles. The wheels start to look black, very dark and the dust is very hard to clean off! Do I need to go to ceramic pads to prevent all this dust? I also have several areas that look very thin with the polish on the wheels!

So why do owners worry about the little paint missing in a hard to see place? If brake dust is always over them.

Skylane765 11-12-2012 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobZL1580 (Post 5659918)
Brandon, what do you think of that?

I just got my car a few days ago and paint is thin around the lugs, but it hard to see.

alyssasdad 11-13-2012 05:55 AM

Well I had 3 of my wheels replaced by the dealer because of this problem. My service manager called me when they came in. When I got there and looked at them,they were better, but still not 100% perfect. There were still little places around the lug nut holes. Not near as many or as bad. I just said, "screw it",put em on!! This car is not going to be perfect nor is it going to stay perfect. If you drive it, sh1t happens!! My local dealer has 5 ZL1s right now. Two of them have the silver wheels and both of them have these same little places around the lug nut holes. Just thin paint from the wheel factory,Plain and Simple. So if some of you want to keep fighting the good fight until your cars are 100% perfect....I salute you!!!!:respekt: But for me,mine is close enuff!!! Im going to enjoy it instead of spending all my time at the dealer:thumbsup:.

Skylane765 11-13-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alyssasdad (Post 5803236)
Well I had 3 of my wheels replaced by the dealer because of this problem. My service manager called me when they came in. When I got there and looked at them,they were better, but still not 100% perfect. There were still little places around the lug nut holes. Not near as many or as bad. I just said, "screw it",put em on!! This car is not going to be perfect nor is it going to stay perfect. If you drive it, sh1t happens!! My local dealer has 5 ZL1s right now. Two of them have the silver wheels and both of them have these same little places around the lug nut holes. Just thin paint from the wheel factory,Plain and Simple. So if some of you want to keep fighting the good fight until your cars are 100% perfect....I salute you!!!!:respekt: But for me,mine is close enuff!!! Im going to enjoy it instead of spending all my time at the dealer:thumbsup:.

I understand owners wanting thing perfect, but it is not that big of a deal if the blemish is on the wells for the lug nuts.
I rather drive and work on my car myself. If given new wheels, then the tires have to be taken on and off, that is just more chances of some other thing to go wrong.

JustGeorge 11-19-2015 09:16 AM

Brandon, are you on here?

I have the same problem with my wheels on my 2012 ZL1 that has 6k miles. The car has never been driven in the rain let alone snow. It is a fair weather weekend ride. In fact the car is about to go into winter storage. The only cleaner I use is the car wash soap.

On Oct 30th I took my car back to the dealership to report the wheel problem (all four are affected). The service manager came out and took a look. He went into the shop and came back with wheel cleaner. When he used the cleaner on the wheel it actually made it worse.

He then took pictures and said he would be contacting Chevy. I have not heard another thing about this issue. How long does this process take?

I bought the extended warranty with the car and had no issues with the car.

My thoughts are if the wheels look this poorly at 6k, what will they look like at 12k? The wheels are clearly defective. This has not happened to any of my other cars.

Mpsmith1 11-23-2015 08:35 PM

Please let me know when you hear back from Chevy. I have the same issue with my wheels, but my dealer wouldn't even bring the issue up with them.

Good luck to you!

Hicompression 11-26-2015 06:40 PM

Hard Water Deposits/Staining

The problem I have encountered with my ZL1 wheels is that when driving through rain or after washing the car, water tends to stay in the lug nut holes unless you use a paper towel to wick/absorb it out. If left in the holes, the water evaporates, leaving a hard layer of mineralization, brake dust and staining. This discolors the silver paint in the hole around the lug nut and is very hard to clean. I just live with it.

Squatch 12-30-2015 02:26 PM

My wheels are the same around the lugs, but also on each spoke its pitting. its pitting really bad on the inside lip of the rim (that cant be seen very well). I asked GM, and they took pics and forward to Chevy, but they said it was just road debris causing the damage.
I'm to the point of getting them powder coated black now. I have the optional white/chrome (whatever color they are) wheels.

Travis104 12-30-2015 02:59 PM

I also had issues with this. When I took my car to the local dealer, they told me the wheels were aluminum and not painted...it went downhill from there and they said they would not replace the wheels. I found a 2014 with more options and black wheels, so I went that route. I do have a brand new polished zl1 rear wheel for sale if anyone is interested. Still in the box from gm, has never had a tire on it.

hammdo 12-30-2015 03:13 PM

I had mine powder coated. Of course I bought mine second hand. I did have to make sure I dried the around the lug nut area to keep from spotting. The factory coating was very thin.

Really like the difference...

Before:

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/...ps75ff752c.jpg

http://accelerationtech.com/photos/2...20(Custom).jpg

After:

http://accelerationtech.com/photos/z...818_164120.jpg

http://accelerationtech.com/photos/z...818_164141.jpg

-Don

2014CamaroZL1 01-04-2016 02:07 PM

Nice !
They look similar to mine.
Powder coated anthracite, face machined, and power coated clear.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=426333

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/l.../DSC01884a.jpg

lbls1 01-04-2016 02:16 PM

For a long time I have wondered what the OEM SSX wheel would look like with a polished/Machine Faced texture. I am on the fence about doing this wheel mod to a set of SSX's and mounting it to my ZL. Your pics look good post 86.

cybercoaster 01-06-2016 11:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I also powder coated mine.

SSallday 01-06-2016 10:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone, I've noticed some staining and other unwanted spots on my rims especially in the lug nut area. I went to my local Chevy dealer today and the service manager told me that GM would not replace my rims. He explained to me that the spots in the lug nut area could have possibly came from a brush or something so GM definitely wouldn't be able to help me. I've tried Purple Power, all-purpose cleaner, and bug and tar remover but none of them seem to take the stains out. Should I consider trying another dealership in the area? Did anyone have any luck getting the stains off their rims by using a different product?

lbls1 01-07-2016 09:07 AM

I have had common stains like that but I have had no trouble getting the stains out. I sometimes use Blue Magic Polish fore my polished and coated wheels, and it has been good at getting oxidation off of the surface. I had a spot on my rear wheel which looked like a small paint chip. I also took it back to the dealer for them to look at it. I got the same response that "The dealer would likely not do anything unless my wheels were peeling or showing excessive damage". For now I'll just keep an eye on things. The other problem is that the ZLs wheels get very dirty very quickly, so it can be hard keeping them clean all the time.

glc55 01-07-2016 12:55 PM

I powder coated mine black

Dusk 2SS 02-23-2016 06:44 PM

Could this be the same issue? 2013 dusk with around 35k miles on it.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...pseavlnfz6.jpg

SSmokey 03-02-2016 12:23 AM

My ZL1 has 20,000 miles and the wheels are peeling around the lugs quite a bit. Has anyone had luck getting the wheels warrantied? I don't see how this is a major issue with many sets of wheels.

JustGeorge 05-12-2016 10:58 AM

Just a Quick Update

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mpsmith1 (Post 8752668)
Please let me know when you hear back from Chevy. I have the same issue with my wheels, but my dealer wouldn't even bring the issue up with them.

Good luck to you!

After I brought the Camaro out of winter storage, I contacted the dealer to give him the go ahead to order the new wheels. After a few weeks he contacted me that they were in.

I made the appointment to have them swapped out with the old ones. After several hours of waiting I called for an update. He informed me that the new wheels were marked about the outer edge. He washed and then tried to buff the imperfections out, but to no avail. He knew if he wasn't happy with them, I certainly would not be either.

So, I brought the car back home. Now waiting again for 4 new wheels. He said the fronts are in stock, but the back ones are on back order.

jayno20 05-12-2016 12:16 PM

I had issues with my stock black wheels with the paint being thin and very easily scratched/marked up. I took them to a local powder coater and the matched the satin looking stock color and they look 100 times better. Only cost me 340.00 for all 4 rims.

Mpsmith1 05-13-2016 12:08 PM

I checked at one place near my house www.gatewaypowdercoat.com. They charge $450 for four wheels (delivered to them without tires on them), +$100 if the tires are on them, and an extra $250 if you deliver the entire car to them. Ugh.

Mpsmith1 05-25-2016 10:09 PM

I thoroughly cleaned and waxed my wheels this weekend. It doesn't change that the interior barrel looks bad, but I don't notice it as much when the spokes look awesome!!

bobby35ny 05-25-2016 11:02 PM

Fully polished and then clear powder coated in my sig.
-Bobby

2013ZL1FUN 05-26-2016 07:07 AM

Mine look bad also. The lug area deteriorated quickly after getting my car. I think the brake dust is eating the finish and/or wheel surface.