Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Southcenter Car Toys trying to rip me off! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249357)

Prime Time 09-10-2012 06:28 PM

Southcenter Car Toys trying to rip me off!

I went into the Car Toys in Southcenter Tukwila Wa today to inquire about a Scosche dash kit for my camaro. when i ask if there is a harness I'd need to purchase to connect to the factory harness or does it come with it. The installer and the sales guy told me that I would need an additional harness to connect the scosche dash kit to the factory harness. That itself is $260 in addition to the $460 for the dash kit. I kind of knew something was sketchy about that after some research i've done and i don't see anything about an additional harness I need to purchase. The installer was like, I don't know if the kit comes with the harness, I think it does not sure let me check. So he checked on the computer and says, "no it doesn't come with a harness, you would have to buy it".

Anyway, with the install, the dash kit, the harness, and the dvd/nav unit (middle line type) would cost me about $2700. I said thank you i'm just looking because I wanted to see what all involves with it. I went home had a chat with a Rep from Scosche and he said that the Camaro dash kit does come with the harness to connect to the new radio unit. All you would need is the antenna adapter and if you want to retain the OnStar feature then there is a module you need to buy ($49.00). then i told him what Car Toys told me and he was like "i don't know why they told you that".

What do you guys think? Anyone has one of these kits installed? Please comment on your experience on how you did the install and pics as well. I'm looking to do the labor myself and screw Car Toys! They thought I was stupid asking questions that they took and try to take advantage of me. I used to work at Good Guys selling Car Stereos. I'm not Dumb!

usnatclee 09-10-2012 06:38 PM

I DESPISE car toys. They tried to charge me $800 for something that I had done at best buy for $300. They are a big rip off!

Renegade 09-10-2012 06:41 PM

Why are they not out of buisness yet? :iono:

Prime Time 09-10-2012 07:23 PM

If i want something done professionally I would go to car toys but would not let best buy do it. Best buy installers don't have the skill and confident to work on a car like a camaro especially the technicality of the installation process that involves with the unit.

again Car Toys are greedy Mr. Know it all type of attitude and they rip you off. My buddy used to manage that Car Toys for several years.

Wabbit 09-10-2012 07:47 PM

In my Saturn, I had a 6-disc changer with a cassette head unit installed. After 6 months, they replace the CD changer, then about 3 months later, it started having the same issue. The manager swapped the changer and deck with no questions asked to another brand when I asked. (This was ~1998 in Federal Way). +1 Car Toys

Had to get the CD deck replaced in my Suburban. Got right to the deck I wanted, got it installed quickly for a reasonable price. They even installed the correct wire harness for my door chime. Best Buy was just going to "cut and splice wires" to make it work and save me $25. (2010 in Federal way) +1 Car Toys

Took my Honda in to get the iPod attachment installed in Bellevue. First they installed the cable in such a way that I couldn't get the lid to my center dash console to open all the way. They then reinstalled it to a better location so I could close the lid. The Manager had told me that a new tab would show up on my nav screen for the ipod controls. Installer says nope. The whole process took 3.5 hours, when I was told they would be done in an hour. (2012 in Bellevue) -1 Car Toys

I will say that everyone I had talked to in both stores were very nice, and tried to help me to my satisfaction. I don't feel like I got ripped off, but I wasn't happy about the way the iPod interface installed.

Prime Time 09-10-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wabbit (Post 5558272)
In my Saturn, I had a 6-disc changer with a cassette head unit installed. After 6 months, they replace the CD changer, then about 3 months later, it started having the same issue. The manager swapped the changer and deck with no questions asked to another brand when I asked. (This was ~1998 in Federal Way). +1 Car Toys

Had to get the CD deck replaced in my Suburban. Got right to the deck I wanted, got it installed quickly for a reasonable price. They even installed the correct wire harness for my door chime. Best Buy was just going to "cut and splice wires" to make it work and save me $25. (2010 in Federal way) +1 Car Toys

Took my Honda in to get the iPod attachment installed in Bellevue. First they installed the cable in such a way that I couldn't get the lid to my center dash console to open all the way. They then reinstalled it to a better location so I could close the lid. The Manager had told me that a new tab would show up on my nav screen for the ipod controls. Installer says nope. The whole process took 3.5 hours, when I was told they would be done in an hour. (2012 in Bellevue) -1 Car Toys

I will say that everyone I had talked to in both stores were very nice, and tried to help me to my satisfaction. I don't feel like I got ripped off, but I wasn't happy about the way the iPod interface installed.

that's what i was kind of hoping them to do. but I guess when they saw someone like myself rolling up in a Camaro, in a dress shirt and a pair of slax looking like $$$$ they took advantage of that. I mean the dash kit they sell for $460, the harness the guy told me is $260 its more than half the cost of the kit itself. Especially when the harness comes with the unit, I was lied to and i confirmed it with Scosche too. I also asked if all of the things that are working now will work with the dash kit and the guy says yes. It's almost like he added some charges for things that comes with the installation itself.

flyer08 09-10-2012 08:02 PM

Sounds as bad as pnr car audio here

bigscarymonster 09-10-2012 08:42 PM

I've heard mixed reviews about them, mostly not good though. I would run away from that place and not go back. I also definitely wouldn't have the head unit in my camaro done at Best Buy. This head unit is just way too integrated that you need to give it to someone you are positive will take the time and effort to make sure everything is perfect.

1BADLS3 09-11-2012 04:39 PM

I've lived in the area for years, and have never been a fan of Car Toys. A long time ago, if you wanted a car stereo done right, you went to Magnolia Hi-Fi, before it was bought out by Best Buy.

With regards to your situation...you can probably get all the parts and do the whole job yourself by ordering it all on Crutchfield.com. Crutchfield has been a great outfit for me over the years...I especially love their speaker adapter harnesses so I don't have to splice factory wiring when putting in speakers.

The guys at Car Toys may not have had to work on a Camaro in a while...a lot of GM cars required a special harness so that the car could retain OnStar functionality (and in certain GM cars, other things like automatic door locks, window operation, door chime noise).