Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Camaro in Nascar Nationwide Series next year! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239843)

Ir0nM4n 07-26-2012 07:29 PM

Wow, the posts about the Camaro being ugly really. Its friggen NASCAR those cars never look good, same with NHRA those Camaro's and Mustang's look pretty bad also. Then there are post's about racing bikes, again why? This is not about other race circuits it's about NASCAR focus people. Jebus...

I like the color of the car. I find it nice to have a Camaro on the track competing with Mustangs and Challengers. I don't watch NASCAR too much, though if I did I would root for the Ugly Camaro. I would rather have an UGLY Camaro win then a stupid Malibu. To me it never made logical since to run a seemingly slow production car (Malibu) in a NASCAR race. I never thought of speed when watching the Malibu run around in circles. Even if it won, it still looked fugly. Sure give me the sleek looking NASCAR rendition of the Malibu. Sorry sir all we have is this root beer brown, four door, front wheel drive slower than a grandma car for you. Yea, give me the ugly Camaro over the Sexy Malibu any day of the week.

Sure people can watch other race circuits with these cars, but those races are not nationally televised. NASCAR is nationally televised and weather you like it or not, a win at NASCAR will now equal a win at the Show Room Floor.

SleepWarz 07-26-2012 07:30 PM

The real problem is that Nascar isnt even Nascar anymore. I cant tell you how many times there has been a real race on and all you can get on TV is After Hours nascar crap and stuff nobody in their right mind should care about. And yay the nascar tech gets to go over all the car and make sure that nothing cool or unique has been done to it... How groundbreaking. There is not much to a carbed V8 sir. Lose the celebrity racer focus, rename the series to correctly describe the cars NASBCAR. And my dislike for the series would fade. Its not the racing I dislike, its all the BULLSHIT that comes with it. Why does the world need this pointless personal drama in everything made these days? Even the UFC turned into WWF drama wise.
Who is doing this right?
Aussie v8 supercars. Same sorta premise, but done right.

Joe Remi 07-26-2012 07:33 PM

As a long-silent refugee from the pre-launch Camaro5 forum, and not yet a Gen 5 owner, I find some of your reactions to the nameplate's introduction to NASCAR a little amusing. Some of you seem to be of the impression that "Camaro" is a cult-car few are aware of, and this national exposure is a Super Big Deal. I agree it's cool to have a Camaro in NASCAR, but c'mon people..this is a very popular car with a rich heritage. The country has heard of it.

GRAHL 07-26-2012 07:36 PM

Oh man, that thing is ugly. Takes away all the cool, sleek, high belt-line, chopped-roof look and resembles a cavalier with a camaro nose.

Joe Remi 07-26-2012 07:37 PM

This move makes sense for Chevy and for NASCAR. Dodge has the Challenger coupe in Nationwide, and the Charger sedan in Cup. Same with Ford re: Mustang and Fusion. Now Chevy will have Camaro and the new SS sedan. The last holdout is Toyota, which is in a bit of a bind. Their only RWD coupe is the FR-S. Which is badged Scion in this country. Oops.

VRCamaroSS 07-26-2012 07:40 PM

I am a fan of NASCAR or I should say what it is today NAPCAR wake me with ten laps to go. Daytona and Talladega are a joke to watch completely. Yes the cars are safer but are ugly as hell and the rules are what is killing the sport. Back in the day was better racing when I first got into where they actually looked like real cars.

Ir0nM4n 07-26-2012 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Remi (Post 5350834)
As a long-silent refugee from the pre-launch Camaro5 forum, and not yet a Gen 5 owner, I find some of your reactions to the nameplate's introduction to NASCAR a little amusing. Some of you seem to be of the impression that "Camaro" is a cult-car few are aware of, and this national exposure is a Super Big Deal. I agree it's cool to have a Camaro in NASCAR, but c'mon people..this is a very popular car with a rich heritage. The country has heard of it.

I agree with you :thumbsup:, also add...

It looks like Camaro five is all about a fashion show. Searously, you people actually think a Malibu running around NASCAR is good. Ok, well it makes me laugh, because for one try running an actual Malibu at Daytona... lol.... At least the ugly Camaro's Show Room floor brother can actualy run at Daytona.

Malibu race car = good looking,,,,,, Malibu show room car = WTH :thumbdown:
Camaro race car = not good looking,,,,,, Camaro show room car = :headbang:

So give me an Ugly Duck Camaro any day over a Malibu ...

Fenderaddict2 07-26-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kent2010 (Post 5347440)
Totally agree. Check out The Rolex and Continental series -- they are especially great. Real Camaros running against real Mustangs! Woohooo!

EDIT: I just saw the pics of the NASCAR "camaro" in question -- DAMN that thing is ugly! I'm embarrassed that the Camaro name is on it. Did you see that hideous side view???

:barf: :barf: :barf:

Glad you said it first. I would have been labelled a troll.

Fenderaddict2 07-26-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyvegas (Post 5347532)
Found this.

That looks good.

Ir0nM4n 07-26-2012 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 (Post 5350891)
Glad you said it first. I would have been labelled a troll.

No one should ever be called a troll over the truth. On a different note, If you watch NASCAR, now is not a good time to continue. Reason is the ugly Camaro is going to be stomping all over the Mustang. Thus, the Mustang sales just took a nose dive.

dont freak out heathly competition is good... :thumbup:

Fenderaddict2 07-26-2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bertha II (Post 5350131)
Just another example of why the stands at NASCAR races these days are just about half full and the tv ratings are just a fraction of what they once were. No wonder the Chevy execs did not agree to use the Camaro nameplate in NASCAR when the gen 5 came out a few years ago. Make the race cars look like they do when they come from the factory! That is what built the sport years ago....

I was a NASCAR devotee from the Pearson/Petty days right up until the debut of the "sticker" cars. Love the German touring cars, they look like Bimmers, Mercs and Audis even if they are fully caged cars underneath. Face it real Musclecars are the true evolution both exist in Germany now.

Joe Remi 07-26-2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MINI HLK (Post 5350931)
No one should ever be called a troll over the truth. On a different note, If you watch NASCAR, now is not a good time to continue. Reason is the ugly Camaro is going to be stomping all over the Mustang. Thus, the Mustang sales just took a nose dive.

dont freak out heathly competition is good... :thumbup:

Camaro and Mustang sales will have nothing to do with a NASCAR support series of spec cars with different graphics on their grilles, watched through a beer haze on a Friday night or Saturday afternoon. Nationwide is won by RCR, Roush Fenway, Joe Gibbs Racing, Penske Racing, and maybe KBM or Turner on a good day. With Elliot Sadler, Ricky Stenhouse, and whatever contingent of Cup drivers show up. The general public may have a general sense that Chevy, Ford, Dodge, or Toyota won the race, but the actual model is completely lost on them. NASCAR is a personality/team-driven series.

Carls2SS 07-26-2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CUONCRS (Post 5347401)
So it's a generic tube frame car with stickers that resemble Camaro lights? Hard to get excited about that kind of "racing". Let's go back to cars right out of the showroom, throw some numbers on them and a cage in them, and let them battle it out! That's what I would watch.

:laughabove: This

GDANESS 07-26-2012 08:17 PM

Quote:

So it's a generic tube frame car with stickers that resemble Camaro lights? Hard to get excited about that kind of "racing". Let's go back to cars right out of the showroom, throw some numbers on them and a cage in them, and let them battle it out! That's what I would watch.

what he said

Angrybird 12 07-26-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 (Post 5350947)
I was a NASCAR devotee from the Pearson/Petty days right up until the debut of the "sticker" cars. Love the German touring cars, they look like Bimmers, Mercs and Audis even if they are fully caged cars underneath. Face it real Musclecars are the true evolution both exist in Germany now.

I will agree the rules have killed NASCAR as we knew it. They screwed it up two ways. One trying to cut costs to the teams by standardizing parts. Two by making the cars all alike to equalize the cars in the name of competition. The safety changes were brought on by the loss of several top named drivers in a short period of time, ending with the death of Dale Earnhardt. Now not only are the cars safer so are the tracks themselves. It is time in my opinion to give more of the decision making on the car designs back to the manufacturers. Go back to having to use factory sheet metal. Make the noses with grill openings as are on the production cars. No taping over grills. Use smaller spoilers and air dams. Leave all the safety innovations as they are today. This will put the driving back on the drivers hands and not so much aero. It may play havoc on the racing for a while until the drivers learn how to drive the old way. This will accomplish 2 things, it will slow the racecars until manufacturers design more aero efficient race cars. Then that will lead to better street cars. That way us as consumers will be the real winners.

DanSS24 07-26-2012 08:29 PM

man you guys are hard to please...:rolleyes: :iono: :D

Dan @ Pro Custom Products 07-26-2012 08:38 PM

Ricky Bobby ? :iono:

cheyboyjr 07-26-2012 08:42 PM

I'll look forward to seeing the Camaro next season. It could look better, but it's Nascar.

EdRedCamaro2 07-26-2012 08:44 PM

I am a NASCAR fan, and I am glad the Camaro has finally made it into the Nationwide Series, but man, that thing is fugly. :barf:

The Camaro Pace Cars have looked gorgeous out on the circuit, with some sweet paint schemes.:thumbsup: The one-size-fits-all NASCAR proportions simply do no justice to the Gen5 Camaro. Slapping some headlight and grill decals on a template race car does not evoke the true beauty of our car or even the Mustang. :thumbdown:

dmax86 07-26-2012 08:44 PM

:thumbsup:

stratman2SSRS 07-26-2012 09:06 PM

AWESOME!!!

Modern Muscle 07-26-2012 11:18 PM

Quote:

I agree and it is already being done. Check out Grand Am Racing (broadcast on Speedvision). I went to the Watkins Glen race in NY. There are 2 series: Continental Tire Series which are showroom cars with roll cages pretty much then the Rolex Series which are purpose built race cars. TRUE racing.

I enjoy and love NASCAR and am happy to see Camaro represented there but Grand Am is so much better.

LimaCharlie 07-26-2012 11:35 PM

Cool to see they brought the Camaro name to NASCAR. People who complain about the dimensions are just not familiar with modern NASCAR. The cars are not based from production cars and they have to adhere to strict body sizes/dimensions. Has anyone seen the Mustang in the Nationwide NASCAR series? Proportions are worse than this new Camaro body.

Fiveg56 07-26-2012 11:56 PM

HOW ABOUT A LUMINA???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhUhuDW_jOw

DanSS24 07-27-2012 12:37 AM

Man...I used to watch this movie over and over. Awesome movie at the time. I wish they would make it again with the current vehicles and drivers.