Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   USA - Mid-Atlantic (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Catch Can Help (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300551)

SS4Fun 06-07-2013 02:53 PM

Catch Can Help

OK............. I know it's been discussed to death. Wanted to get some info from local folks about "the catch can". Those that have one and maybe they wished they had something else? Also, if you know me............. I want something that works and looks good!!!!!! Appreciate your input :pop2:

james347 06-07-2013 05:20 PM

I ended up with Elite Catch can. You can get it a few different colors. The screw off bottom makes it easy to empty. Comes with a few mounting bracket options. Has a nice compact size and does the job well. Get the chrome fittings for a better look as well.

JDP Sales 06-07-2013 06:11 PM

Sorry I'm not local, but I'll still give my opinion.

I personally prefer the Elite Engineering catch can due to the draining/emptying method. Being able to physically unscrew the bottom of the can and pour it out like a cup is more convenient than having a hose and valve to drain. Not to mention the Elite can is readily available rather than waiting 6-8 weeks for the RX catch can. The only perk that would push me toward the RX can are the custom color options.

Please feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions. We have the Elite Engineering catch cans in stock with free shipping and upgraded nickel plated fittings at no extra charge. Have a great weekend! :thumb:

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007

SC2150 06-07-2013 06:51 PM

Hey Tracy, Just wanted to thank you, and everyone at RevXtreme. I bought a catch can from you, for my 2005 CTS. Well since installing it i'm not consuming any oil anymore. I've had a close eye on the oil level since i have installed it and it hasn't used a drop. I don't know how or what that catch can has done to prevent the oil consumption. (I've read your tech tips article and understand the concept of how a catch can work.) I guess i am just baffeled that it something so simple like that could work.

Anyway just wanted to thank you. I was at my last wits end with this car and was about to put it back on the market, after the dealer replaced two motors under warrenty.

I'll be purchasing another catch can from you in the future. I have a 2000 Camaro SS that is getting a turbo as we speak, as a fun project street car.

But thanks again. It was definetly worth the wait.

Gabe Moulden

SS4Fun 06-08-2013 01:43 AM

Thanks................. I appreciate the info:hail:

whaler 06-10-2013 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS4Fun (Post 6642205)
OK............. I know it's been discussed to death. Wanted to get some info from local folks about "the catch can". Those that have one and maybe they wished they had something else? Also, if you know me............. I want something that works and looks good!!!!!! Appreciate your input :pop2:

Same here, it is down to the Elite or RX catch cans for me. The hiss reported by some scares me a bit thought, but not enough not to get one.

Here is an Elite vs. RX thread, mostly opinions, but the forced induction seems to favor RX:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190270

Miss Thing, trivia for you as to where you've see my car before.

Twoblindsheep 06-10-2013 09:49 PM

to me.. i doesnt matter which one you have.. they are both good for the car.. i have the RX catch can.. actually bought it before i traded in my 2LT for the 2SS.

dorfmac 06-10-2013 09:53 PM

I have RX. Don't know how worthwhile it is, but people swear by it to the point that I just assumed my car would explode if I didn't put one on ASAP....

Don't know how I drove around in other cars for all those years without one...

thirdgenbum 06-10-2013 10:36 PM

i like this one
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...atch-Can-2.jpg

45thCamaro 06-10-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thirdgenbum (Post 6655388)

Lol.

I have the elite can. I bought from JDP. I also made a video of the catch can install on the LFX engine. I just happened to check the other day, there is a nice amount of oil I that thing. If the oil isn't suppose to be traveling through the hose, I can't fathom why it wouldn't be an option from the factory.

SS4Fun 06-11-2013 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whaler (Post 6654692)
Same here, it is down to the Elite or RX catch cans for me. The hiss reported by some scares me a bit thought, but not enough not to get one.

Here is an Elite vs. RX thread, mostly opinions, but the forced induction seems to favor RX:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190270

Miss Thing, trivia for you as to where you've see my car before.

Appreciate the info..................... but where the he!! did I meet you? :bonk:

SS4Fun 06-11-2013 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dorfmac (Post 6655214)
I have RX. Don't know how worthwhile it is, but people swear by it to the point that I just assumed my car would explode if I didn't put one on ASAP....

Don't know how I drove around in other cars for all those years without one...

Your response doesn't surprise me!! But I agree.......... I just want one now!!!:clap2:

SS4Fun 06-11-2013 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thirdgenbum (Post 6655388)

OK....... your funny!!!! :faint:

SC2150 06-11-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS4Fun (Post 6656087)
OK....... your funny!!!! :faint:

Actually, the one in this picture will work as well or better than 90% of the ones on the market. Most are just empty containers with fittings attached, but are far to small so even the condensed droplets much get pulled right through. the size of this is large enough to out perform even some of the big names believe it or not. Years ago as a joke, we took a beer can and added 2 fittings and it worked as well as most.

RX, Elite, and Saiku Micchi are about the only ones that work real well.

:headbang:

thirdgenbum 06-11-2013 11:29 AM

that's just it. they're all the same. buy the one you like the best, or fits your budget the best. don't make a mountain out of a mole hill, lol. it's just not that serious. there is no HP to be gained with one of these cans btw. it's merely to keep your currently clean running engine, running clean. a proper baffle under the fresh air intake side of the pcv system would make this catch can basically irrelevant.

whaler 06-11-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS4Fun (Post 6656082)
Appreciate the info..................... but where the he!! did I meet you? :bonk:

Close, very close...no more hints other than the pictures...;)

Leaning towards Elite...

whaler 06-11-2013 12:14 PM

OK, enough reading...just ordered the Elite can from JDP Motorsports (Elite Oil Catch Can for the V6), on sale for $155 plus free shipping. Went with black. Looking forward to getting it on before the car even hits 2K miles.

SS4Fun 06-11-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whaler (Post 6657047)
Close, very close...no more hints other than the pictures...;)

Leaning towards Elite...

OMG.............. I know who the he!! you are!!!!!! That's not fair......... I've been "here" forever!!!!!! :sm0:

SS4Fun 06-11-2013 01:27 PM

Going to wait to see what we find out at GM Nationals......... hopefully, we can just buy the "thing" there......... and be done. :nod:

BLU DUCE 06-11-2013 02:45 PM

I have the Elite on a 2010 LS3, & Rx on 2011 1 ss/rs L99. Bought them both from JDP motorsports. To me these 2 are the top of the line. You have such a great looking car. I would get 1 powder coated color of car,W/braided lines. If you want 2 see it mounted & lines check my build.

JDP Sales 06-11-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whaler (Post 6657149)
OK, enough reading...just ordered the Elite can from JDP Motorsports (Elite Oil Catch Can for the V6), on sale for $155 plus free shipping. Went with black. Looking forward to getting it on before the car even hits 2K miles.

Hey, thanks for the order! Please let me know if you have any questions! :thumb:
Quote:

Originally Posted by spike III (Post 6657765)
I have the Elite on a 2010 LS3, & Rx on 2011 1 ss/rs L99. Bought them both from JDP motorsports. To me these 2 are the top of the line. You have such a great looking car. I would get 1 powder coated color of car,W/braided lines. If you want 2 see it mounted & lines check my build.

I appreciate your business and support! :headbang:

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007

SS4Fun 06-11-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spike III (Post 6657765)

Thanks........... that was my point. Wanted great looking under the "hood" but so many say about the Elite being easy to empty. Since you have both how hard is it to empty the RX. Also, with the RX/Elite can you get show mounting hardware????? I've waited this long I want the right one!!!! :thanks:

SC2150 06-11-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thirdgenbum (Post 6656934)
that's just it. they're all the same. buy the one you like the best, or fits your budget the best. don't make a mountain out of a mole hill, lol. it's just not that serious. there is no HP to be gained with one of these cans btw. it's merely to keep your currently clean running engine, running clean. a proper baffle under the fresh air intake side of the pcv system would make this catch can basically irrelevant.

Any oil ingestion will cause detonation which the PCM will pull timing so power is lost there....so yes, the avg can will not result in more power, but one that traps all the oil makes a big enough difference to result in an avg of 1-3 MPG (small truck/van fleets buy these just to save fuel....not to extend engine life).

Also, you only want fuel and air in the combustion chamber.....oil does not burn well. In fact it wont burn at all unless heated to a high temp and or pressure, and then it is a very incomplete burn resulting in less energy released per explosive event (combustion) so that equates to less power and poor fuel economy.

When tuning a big boost engine we can make 20-30 more RWHP stopping the oil ingestion with the right can (99% are not worth using). On a NA car it may be 3-4 rwhp, but it hurts all the way around if your getting any engine oil ingestion via the intake air charge.

Read this page and look at all the pictures of the cans dissected, the test results for each, and why they do or don't http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...+needed&page=3

work well/

Saying all are alike is like comparing a Kia to a Ferarri.

:headbang:

thirdgenbum 06-11-2013 03:16 PM

catch can installation resulted in 3mpg gain? i'd like to see this data please. my opinion on it so far is an overpriced gimic marketed to unknowledgable sheeple. i believe there is benefit to it, but $180 (normal price) is a little outrageous. i could buy a lot of seafoam and build a pretty extravagant baffle for that.

BLU DUCE 06-11-2013 03:22 PM

spike III build

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS4Fun (Post 6657829)
Thanks........... that was my point. Wanted great looking under the "hood" but so many say about the Elite being easy to empty. Since you have both how hard is it to empty the RX. Also, with the RX/Elite can you get show mounting hardware????? I've waited this long I want the right one!!!! :thanks:

2 your answer yes. Like I said I'm not trying 2 get you just 2 look at my build. But with my set up You can see exactly how it looks. Pics. before & after installed.:first:

ForgedReality 06-11-2013 03:29 PM

This is by FAR the best looking. It's not specifically made for our cars, but it doesn't matter. Just get the right fittings for it. You'd want a 1/2" NPT to -6AN adapter if you want to use AN fittings, which would be the nicest. You can also take the top off, but it's just a bit more involved than the RX. This is the one I've been planning to do but haven't yet.

http://store.42draftdesigns.com/Ulti...NPT_p_466.html

SC2150 06-11-2013 09:06 PM

Here is a link to a study by the University of Maine's Engineering department:
http://umaine.edu/met/capstone-proje...arator-team-2/

And a ton of other examples. When ever you are stopping the oil ingestion, the engine does not experience the detonation caused by it, and the ECU/PCM will keep the timing advance at optimum running more efficiently. It is impossible if driven the same not to.

Just ask anyone with a SS that has run 87 octaine in it and the detonation has caused the PCM to default to the low octaine tables. app 4-5% less power and fuel economy.

:thumbsup:

SC2150 06-11-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thirdgenbum (Post 6657884)
catch can installation resulted in 3mpg gain? i'd like to see this data please. my opinion on it so far is an overpriced gimic marketed to unknowledgable sheeple. i believe there is benefit to it, but $180 (normal price) is a little outrageous. i could buy a lot of seafoam and build a pretty extravagant baffle for that.

Can you explain in detail how in the combustion process it would not? Just go into the start to finish of the fuel/air mixture and what takes place in the combustion chamber...then how adding a contaminant that does not burn well would have no effect on both power and efficiency.

Were all ears....(and your degrees, experience, and qualifications that would support this explanation).

:grouphug::thumbup:

whaler 06-11-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS4Fun (Post 6657432)
OMG.............. I know who the he!! you are!!!!!! That's not fair......... I've been "here" forever!!!!!! :sm0:

LOL, I knew you get it eventually:D Almost 10 posts! :smoking:

Love all the info, Elite catch can on the way.

thirdgenbum 06-11-2013 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC2150 (Post 6659291)
Here is a link to a study by the University of Maine's Engineering department:
http://umaine.edu/met/capstone-proje...arator-team-2/

did you read this link? i appreciate that these guys did a study on it, but there was no data on that page, nothing that proved anything. it was just a summary of some theories.

i 100% believe that the catch cans work. after thinking about it a little more, i believe you are right about oil vapor going back into combustion chamber causing possible detonation situations. of course anytime the pcm picks up detonation, it immediately pulls timing and goes fat to try to get it under control. i'm aware of this also. what is the ppm concentration of oil vapor that's causing this though? seems that if that much oil was getting in, that there would be other things going way wrong. i feel like the engineers at gm, ford, chrysler, toyota, and every other major manufacturer would have addressed these problems if they were that detrimental, especially since mpg is the name of the game these days.

i will say, that in a forced induction situation, a catch can should be a priority.

my beef is with how they are marketed. it has to be one of the most talked about topics on the forum....i mean, these things should be pretty simple and cost in the 60-80 dollar range. 42 draft designs sells one for $250 and it doesn't even come with fittings! you seem to have a good head on your shoulders, and you may not be doing it, but there is blatant aggressive marketing tactics by some of the sponsors on here selling these over priced tanks to these unsuspecting check book hotrodders.

of course, it's a free market (which i believe in 100%) so maybe i should just commend you guys.

SS4Fun 06-12-2013 05:51 AM

Thanks everyone............. I really appreciate all the info!!!!:grouphug:

SC2150 06-12-2013 09:01 AM

Just go to the link...the 42 draft is good, but still lets oil pass through, and every manufacturer is fighting this and has been for years. GM on the LS v8 alone has made over 20 different design chages all the way to the latest LT1 DI V8 with " special oil separating valve cover system to reduce oil ingestion".

From the first move to the LS6 valley from the valve covers with poor baffels, but no manufacturer can add a separating system that will trap and stop all without adding the step of needing to drain it as the concentrates of the compounds cant be returned to the engine oil, and the trend is away from maintenance, not adding more.

But good dialog. If you search here and read the links to the pictures of the cans dissected you can see all the differences so no way to make one less expensive than the RX that can separate and trap all the oil.

Read the link to the pictures and go through that whole thread (long I know, but your being civil and seem to want to understand it).

Frank in MD 06-12-2013 09:34 AM

So another interesting question is if you have a catch can, (even if you don't), should you also have an oil breather cap?

james347 06-12-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank in MD (Post 6660671)
So another interesting question is if you have a catch can, (even if you don't), should you also have an oil breather cap?

I think so. It allows fresh air into the crank case. However, you may have to get a your car tuned as this extra ventilation may allow un-metered air into the intake, and cause the computer to become confused. Confused computers will say "CEL".

Not sure if I got all the verbiage and articulated the answer correctly. But hope I am close. Tracy can probably confirm. I think it was he that informed me of that info, about fresh air circulating into the motor. :biggrin:

thirdgenbum 06-12-2013 12:10 PM

you would just plug the hole to the intake, and allow the fresh air inlet for the crankcase be ONLY ambient, instead of through the intake tube. not sure how the pcm will react to that though. my experience with it is on gen III ls1/ls6 stuff.

SC2150 06-18-2013 09:40 AM

Correct. You don't want unlimited unmetered air entering or the MAF is telling the PCM one set of data, the MAP another, and the upstream O2's a 3rd and if they are not within the parameters the PCM expects, the fuel trims go nuts as the PCM tries to adapt.

The RX breather has a flow controlling valve to only allow in an amount the PCM can adapt to.

SS4Fun 06-27-2013 06:57 AM

OK.......... I'm going to go with the RX, but I want the "bling" hardware!!!! :thumb: Just need to find it??