Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   home made turbo (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268922)

Nasty1970 01-03-2013 01:54 PM

home made turbo

I searched and I havent seen what Im looking for...any home grown turbo setups out there? Ive seen pretty awesome results in making a home made turbo setup....Im thinking of going this route and wondered if anyone has any pointers. I might go twin turbo depending on costs too!

Lawdog1911 01-03-2013 02:04 PM

Leaf blower, FTW! :thumbup:

PAUL SS 01-03-2013 02:13 PM

30 gallon compressed air tank with 150 psi plumbed to the intake for short blasts.

WheelmanSS 01-03-2013 02:20 PM

wtf is a "home made turbo"?

This isn't chicken soup, it's car parts. They require precise fitting and measurements. Significant engineering and testing.

And there is no such thing as a cheap turbo setup.

Please share with us these "awesome results" you have seen.

I smell a troll thread.

SSMickey 01-03-2013 02:26 PM

Maybe he is talking about doing all the fab work at home versus buying a prefab kit to throw on the car? I can see the cost advantage, but you better be a skilled fabricator.

BrainleSS 01-03-2013 03:01 PM

I think he is doing his own,

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265198

Cmlloveless 01-03-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WheelmanSS (Post 5987142)

I smell a troll thread.

That depends on what you consider cheap...

Most likely he is referring to doing all the fab work at home and not actually building the turbo himself. Doing your own fab work (if you have the means) would literally save thousands on your kit. A lot of the cost comes from R&D and manpower required to fabricate each kit. So if you remove that then you are just paying for the cost of the parts. You could probably come pretty close to cutting the price of a kit in half if you can fabricate it on your own.

naSSty1 01-03-2013 03:39 PM

Rednecks do it all the time with turbos they pull off old trucks and tractors. Maybe not on new Camaros but the videos are out there. You would be surprised what a man can build with a couple hundred dollars at a junk yard. Ive been to some of those truck pulls where guys are putting some SERIOUS power with parts pulled off of all kinds of crazy stuff. That doesn't mean I recommend it for your daily driver such as a Camaro.

DISCLAIMER:
In no way am I putting down the ingenuity of a man by calling him a redneck. If it offends anyone, please take a sheet from the toilet paper dispenser, write a number on it and wait in line.

Synner 01-03-2013 03:55 PM

Cheap turbo and totally awesome.
http://www.turbominivan.com/
http://www.turbovan.net/van.html
up to 25 psi on stock block, runs mid 12's. Faster than many 40k camaros on here...

Just buy name brand heat exchangers, blow off valves, and turbo. If you're a good welder nothign about it is rocket science.

WheelmanSS 01-04-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cmlloveless (Post 5987354)
That depends on what you consider cheap...

Most likely he is referring to doing all the fab work at home and not actually building the turbo himself. Doing your own fab work (if you have the means) would literally save thousands on your kit. A lot of the cost comes from R&D and manpower required to fabricate each kit. So if you remove that then you are just paying for the cost of the parts. You could probably come pretty close to cutting the price of a kit in half if you can fabricate it on your own.

There is going to be just as much cost doing your own R&D manpower to create your own kit. I don't see in any way how you can "literally save thousands". Fabbing your own header? Ducting? Measuring clearances? Buying components?

Unless you are unemployed and free access to a supply of straight piping, CNC tooling, and metal bending equipment, there is no way you will save significant money doing a turbo kit yourself.

In addition, without tested and proven R&D, what's to say your homebrew kit will be reliable and work properly?

Nonsense

LS3 SS 01-04-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

This isn't chicken soup, it's car parts. They require precise fitting and measurements. Significant engineering and testing.

I smell a troll thread.

I laughed so damn hard when I read this in my head. :laughabove:

POS Dakota 01-04-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

I smell a troll thread.

Some can whip up a pretty damned mean chicken soup.
In fact, most of the ones who do are the ones who go the fastest.

xjer22x 01-04-2013 02:56 PM

My kit is 100% custom.

Meaning that I did not buy a pre-made kit and just bolt it on. It was all completely fabricated, fitted, and mounted by my buddy and now sponsor of my car.

I would agree with an earlier post that I probably paid 1/2 to even less than what a pre made kit would cost to purchase, be installed and tuned.

The things you have to consider are...

*the downtime( because we did all the bending, welding, and designing it takes a lot longer)

*Parts
*Labor (which is where most of the cost really comes from)

Things you pay for are convinience for just being able to bolt on with minimal downtime and all the time it took fabricate the kit in the first place. I can tell you that even with a basic design it can take weeks sometimes month to bring it all together to make sure its perfect. So that's where its up to you. I had another mode of transportation so I was able and willing to not drive my car during the frabrication stage. It was hard but saved me a ton of money.

Just my 2cents. I enjoy being involved with the complete building process.

sent from my galaxy s3. that would explain the errors.

Stitch 01-04-2013 03:02 PM

I encourage everything taking place within this thread.

The best thing about a $50 eBay turbo, is that they only cost $50.

...don't worry about your engine, I'm sure it'll be fine.