Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   GOBO Lights Assist Requested (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282187)

SSFury 03-11-2013 12:00 PM

GOBO Lights Assist Requested

2 Attachment(s)
It's been awhile since I've had the Time/Money to mod anything on my car, but I finally saved up enough of both to upgrade her one more time. I Started installing GOBO lights in my doors yesterday. I followed the directions I found on the site.

"Driver Side-
Red wire from Gobo connects to the Red wire w/ White stripe.
Black wire from Gobo connects to the Grey wire w/ Black stripe.

Passenger Side-
Red wire from Gobo connects to the Red wire w/ White stripe.
Black wire from Gobo connects to the Tan wire w/ White stripe. "

Drivers side installed perfectly. Except for the fact that in the process of disconnecting the connectors from the door panel I accidentally broke off the mechanism for the Trunk Release button. Havent gone to the Chevy dealer yet to see how much that little assembly is going to cost me. Yeah for me. Thank goodness the keyfob has a trunk release button in it!!

Anyways.. back to my story.

Drivers side.. perfect.

Passenger's side.. not so much. On the passenger side, the wire isnt exactly "Red".. it's more of a faded orange color.. but it does have the white stripe as mentioned in the directions. Tapped into it.. nothing. Thinking maybe it was the wrong wire, i also tapped into a solid "red" wire also in the bundle. (also an orangish red color, not really red). Nothing.

So.. fellow C5'ers.. who has installed GOBO's in their doors, and has the secret to success for the passenger door dilemna?

Also, if anyone wants to ease my burdened soul and provide a link to some sort of Camaro parts manual so I can look up my demised trunk release assembly, I would be eternally grateful. Couldnt take more than 10 minutes to take the door panel off and install a new assembly, but i'm sure its still not going to be cheap. :thanks:

SoooFlyyy 03-11-2013 12:46 PM

I had the same problem. The red and white power wires were actually behind the 6.5 speakers.

If you found the red and white wire on the driver's side, there's one outside of the 6.5 and one behind the 6.5.

The ones behind the 6.5 speakers run up and down. The grounds are left to right.

If you don't get it soon I'll be able to take pictures this weekend of my install - One of my wires came loose anyway.

SSFury 03-11-2013 02:01 PM

Thanks for the responce. My schedule is full for the rest of the week, so I wont be able to get to it anytime soon. If your willing to take a photo of your install, I would greatly appreciate it. I just need to see which wires you tap into on the passenger side. The Tan wire w/ White Stripe seems to be a legit wife for the ground, but as far as power goes, I'm having a hard time finding which one to use. Ive already stripped the insulation from 2 of them (The Reddish wire, and reddish w/white stripe) and I'm starting to get that dreadful feeling about having to many wires exposed in the same area. Electrical tape is my friend, but still..

SoooFlyyy 03-11-2013 03:36 PM

Yeah unfortunately I took off quite a few of the wraps to find the wires.

If you can send me a PM I'll remember to send you photos of the install / post them here.

I was not comfortable with taking apart all the wiring to find the correct wires but that's what I ended up doing. Hopefully I can save you a few rolls of electrical tape. :thumbsup:

rdblan2 03-11-2013 05:22 PM

I want these, but it seems like lots of folks have issues finding the correct wire. Meh, I'll have AAC install them at the fest in August.

camaro2lt 03-11-2013 08:11 PM

i just wired mine to the abl wire in my door

SSFury 03-12-2013 11:33 AM

ABL is always on. Why would you want your GOBO always on, on the bottom of the door? They get hot, and I'd imagine that constantly being on would drastically lower their life expectancy.

The finding the correct wire issue, the write up in the forums is correct.. for the Drivers side. It's just the passenger side that the write up is incorrect for.

SoooFlyyy 03-21-2013 04:27 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Took some photos when fixing my driver side.

The passenger side is the same thing except with the different ground color wire.

SSFury 03-23-2013 12:39 AM

Thanks for the effort, appreciate it. My drivers side is wired up, and working fine. The problem comes from the passenger side. That's what I figured you were going to take pictures of. The drivers side.. the wires called out on the wiring instructions here on C5 are dead on. Its the passenger side that the instructions were wrong on.

So, does anyone else have GOBO lights installed in their doors that would be willing to clarify which wires they used to tap into? Pictures would be pheonominal, but even if someone can just tell me the color of the wires, and their location would be a huge benefit. Thank You.

mp51998 03-23-2013 10:50 AM

I just did it last week and it is a PITA!! I posted a Pic of the passenger side. It is as said above. Thick red wire with white stripe behind the speaker. That orange ish wire did not work for me either. Here is a pic.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ht=Gobo&page=2

Hope that helps. I soldered mine in BTW.

SoooFlyyy 03-23-2013 05:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The color of the wires stated from ACC were correct.

I looked them up and both of the wires stated for grounds are triggered when the door is opened (so the lights are not on when the door is closed).

The ground for the passenger is the tan with white stripe in the bundle that runs underneath the speaker, after taking it out. The 12v power runs up and down and if you're doing the passenger side will be on the left of the opening after taking out the speaker.

The 12v power wire looks the same on both sides. It's thicker than most of the other wires but is red with a white stripe.

Edit: The pictures I posted came out sideways, sorry about that. The main picture is the one I edited and attached here, pointing out where you can find the ground, as well as the power.

SoooFlyyy 03-23-2013 05:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
For the passenger side, I flipped the picture and here it exactly what it looks like behind the speaker as well.

Note the orange arrows, I popped out that one clip that held the bundle of wires there - this bundle held the 12v red and white wire.

The ground wire is labeled, as well as the wires I disconnected from the speaker after taking the speaker out.

SSFury 03-24-2013 01:45 AM

Awesome!! This picture actually helps alot!! The original pictures on the DIY (the ones for the drivers side..) showed tapping into that vertical bundle on the outside of the speaker hole. This picture you took shows the wire is BEHIND the speaker hole. Looking at my car, I think I see the wire your talking about.. the Red w/white stripe. It is bigger than the rest.. and it doesn't look like a T-Tap will work due to its size. It also appears to be a bit further up inside the door itself.. might have to either reach up in there a bit further, or maybe cut open some wire bundles.. to expose their hidden treasures.

Thanks for the inputs everyone. Now, to borrow a soldering iron from someone.. hahaha.

SoooFlyyy 03-24-2013 11:45 AM

I would definitely recommend trying a t-tap first, it was a tight fit with the ones I used but came out well.

I ended up folding the GOBO wire since its so small when crimping it onto the t-tap.

Hope the install goes well!