Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   4th Generation Camaros (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   exhaust help (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11660)

z28camaross 01-12-2009 11:25 PM

exhaust help

i am getting an 02 ss soon i just have to save up another $1000 or so then i can get it, but i was wondering a few things.because im deciding all my aftermarket parts before i buy the camaro. i want to get the slp loudmouth exhaust i know ill be fine with that but i want to get the long tubes as well and im not sure if they would be legal for everyday use in new jersey so does anyone know if they are legal here in jersey?

Moose 01-13-2009 08:53 AM

I'm not in NJ, but have the setup you're considering. I haven't had any issues with emissions, etc.. :thumbsup:

(I know that didn't answer your concern being in NJ, but I'd guess you'd be just fine.)

radz28 01-13-2009 10:00 AM

I'm not sure what your smog laws are in Jersey, but if they are like California, ALL long tube headers (LTs) are illegal. If you only have visual inspections, you might be fine with just making sure you have cats' on the car. You should also consider getting a dyno' tune from a good tuner in your area too. There's a chance you might need to change up some codes (I've had codes pop-up for "lazy" 02 sensors among other things) and you'll need one to optimize your set-up. Also, with that Loudmouth (LM), understand there's a chance at getting rasp, even with cats'. Some people don't mind it, others do. There's a LM II bullet muffler you can get that will help with that some, but this catback, more than most any other (because it's really just a straight pipe with no muffler) is prone to rasp with LTs. I'd recommend going to ls1sounds.com to sample some soundbites of set-ups like this. Again, some people don't care about rasp (I'm one of them) but others do. One thing is for sure - it'll sound mean as H3LL!!! :D Choose your LTs carefully too. There is a whole range of cost/price/quality out there for our cars. Just be sure to check with your local laws (heck, go to a smog shop and ask) to be sure you won't have to worry about smog problems down the road. Swapping headers isn't exactly simple (but not that complicated either - just a PITA.)

Good luck :D

z28camaross 01-13-2009 12:37 PM

thanks for the help you guys really appriciate it :D

Moose 01-13-2009 02:27 PM

Glad to help. :thumbsup:

I'm not sure where you're at in NJ, but you're welcome to hear my SS in person. :iono:

As for the "rasp", I did experience this with the Loudmouth alone. Once I installed the L/T's, it eliminated it. ;)

z28camaross 01-13-2009 11:04 PM

im like 15-20 mins over the bridge from philly

Moose 01-14-2009 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z28camaross (Post 247049)
im like 15-20 mins over the bridge from philly

OH! Thats right. You did tell me that before. :bonk:

radz28 01-14-2009 09:30 AM

Maybe you guys should meet to get an idea of the sound ;) There's nothing like hearing in person rather than by mouth or on the computer.

Moose 01-14-2009 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radz282003 (Post 247497)
Maybe you guys should meet to get an idea of the sound ;) There's nothing like hearing in person rather than by mouth or on the computer.

I've done that for a few people in the past. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately with this weather and the subsequent salt, etc. on the roads, the SS will remain in "hibernation" for a while yet. :(

(But I can always pull it out of the garage! :D)

z28camaross 01-14-2009 11:47 AM

yea i dont blame ya, PA gets blasted with snow and ice but the delaware river warms up the air a lil, so we usually only get rain here. we only have a a few light snows here so far

JJ#48Racing 01-14-2009 08:59 PM

Long tubes are "technically" illegal in most states because they relocate where the cats are mounted. Whether you pass the visual inspection or not depends on how nice your tech inspector is. Not sure about NJ laws or if you even have inspections.

FWIW, most people in most states never have problems with the law over long-tubes. I recommend Pacesetters if you're on a budget, Kooks if you go all out.