Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Meguiar's 2011 New & Improved Products (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113635)

hot_rod 11-01-2010 12:37 PM

Meguiar's 2011 New & Improved Products

That is a lot of detailing products.......

2011 New Products & Improved Products - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online

Iomcamaro 11-01-2010 02:50 PM

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46203
They used a Camaro! Smart people at Meguiar's lol

Angelo@Autopia 11-01-2010 03:50 PM

Yes indeed Iomcamaro, think someone there has one and they took the shot of it. Looks sweet!

Gramps 11-01-2010 05:42 PM

Their professional series is legendary, especially the #105/205 products...and the new "Ultimate" line makes it all very easy. No more trying to make sense of a hodge podge of products. Most users will only need 4 products:

Ultimate wash...Ultimate compound...Ultimate Polish...Ultimate Wax...going to be a killer series. The new Ultimate Wash is awesome (and I thought their Gold Class car wash couldn't be topped).

They've been busy over there...I've seen some comments on this board that OTC products are junk...and I'm sure Megs was a part of those targeted comments (because most Megs products OTC are their consumer line....but there has never been any dispute that their "professional" series is top of the line stuff.

Well now...Megs has decided to bring their professional line...down to the level of the average guy...by offering the new Ultimate series. This new product line will forever change the face of OTC products...as being less than desirable.

2LTRS 11-02-2010 09:29 AM

I own most of the Ultimate line, and it let me down, the only megs products I like are M105, M205, UQD - The rest is just :thumbdown: I still have 1/2 a jug of the ultimate wash I'll leave on my door step for someone to pick up, that stuff is utterly worthless. It doesn't foam worth a crap and it doesnt have the lubricity some other products have.

I do like the UQD though - the hydrophobic polymers make for awesome beading and help protect the finish in between normal waxing.

Just my $0.02

garcmol 11-02-2010 10:09 AM

Ultimate Line? Mirror Glaze Line? NXT? Detailer Line? I don't bash on companies and only comment on what I use.

However, I get baffled by the Meguir's many lines. Most detailer write-ups I've read talk about 105 and 205. Which freakin' line is that??? And, how much cut does it have? Is my clear coat in danger with a PC or Flex using it? Can you even use 105 or 205 with a PC or do you have to use a rotary? I would love to NOT have to order over the internet to get quality products, but it seems that is proving very challenging.

I enjoy detailing and trying out new things. More info would be nice though.

Junkman2008 11-02-2010 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garcmol (Post 2507533)
Ultimate Line? Mirror Glaze Line? NXT? Detailer Line? I don't bash on companies and only comment on what I use.

However, I get baffled by the Meguir's many lines. Most detailer write-ups I've read talk about 105 and 205. Which freakin' line is that??? And, how much cut does it have? Is my clear coat in danger with a PC or Flex using it? Can you even use 105 or 205 with a PC or do you have to use a rotary? I would love to NOT have to order over the internet to get quality products, but it seems that is proving very challenging.

I enjoy detailing and trying out new things. More info would be nice though.

It's actually very simple. If it says "Mirror Glaze" on the label, you're dealing with their professional line, which is some very good stuff. Everything else is OTC. I'll leave it at that. You will not find their professional stuff OTC. It is sold by Mirror Glaze distributors or on the web.

The part that confuses most novices to the Meguiar's line is all the choices in products. They have multiple products that not only do the same thing, but some are made just for rotary machines, where others are made for all types of polishers. Some have to be worked differently than other and yes, they do have some stuff that will remove the paint off the edges of your car even though you are using a PC. You can go multiple different ways with paint correction when using Meguiar's but you have got to do your homework so that you don't screw yourself or waste your money.

That's the advantage of have a simple approach in the products you use. There's no need to make it rocket science. You're making paint shine, not placing satellites in orbit. :thumbsup:

garcmol 11-02-2010 03:02 PM

That's why I like what I use. 2 polishes and that's it. You know what I use!

But, some folks throw out a name and then it gets confusing! All good, your right; no satellites here.

Iomcamaro 11-02-2010 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junkman2008 (Post 2508285)
It's actually very simple. If it says "Mirror Glaze" on the label, you're dealing with their professional line, which is some very good stuff. Everything else is OTC. I'll leave it at that. You will not find their professional stuff OTC. It is sold by Mirror Glaze distributors or on the web.

The part that confuses most novices to the Meguiar's line is all the choices in products. They have multiple products that not only do the same thing, but some are made just for rotary machines, where others are made for all types of polishers. Some have to be worked differently than other and yes, they do have some stuff that will remove the paint off the edges of your car even though you are using a PC. You can go multiple different ways with paint correction when using Meguiar's but you have got to do your homework so that you don't screw yourself or waste your money.

That's the advantage of have a simple approach in the products you use. There's no need to make it rocket science. You're making paint shine, not placing satellites in orbit. :thumbsup:

Will M105 or M205 remove paint even with a PC?

Junkman2008 11-02-2010 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iomcamaro (Post 2508993)
Will M105 or M205 remove paint even with a PC?

You are pretty safe with those products and a PC, although I wouldn't go riding an edge for to long with M105. Like anything, common sense is the key. Paint and clear coat is thinnest on the edge of a panel so you do want to be picking your nose while buffing there.

010 Camaro SS 11-02-2010 08:49 PM

Been using Meguiars products for years...Premium products...

Iomcamaro 11-02-2010 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junkman2008 (Post 2509560)
You are pretty safe with those products and a PC, although I wouldn't go riding an edge for to long with M105. Like anything, common sense is the key. Paint and clear coat is thinnest on the edge of a panel so you do want to be picking your nose while buffing there.

Ok so it would be best to only use 205 on my spoiler, or how should I buff the spoiler?

Uncle Harvey 11-02-2010 09:18 PM

I find that most of these companies make this way more confusing than it should be. They all use these names like ultimate, super, super duper etc. I wish for instance that I could buy polish with a number on it like sand paper has. This would let you know how course it is. The name super does not tell me much.

One exception to the confusion is the way Adams matches the buffing pads color with the color of the product. I m sure there are other examples.

Junkman2008 11-02-2010 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iomcamaro (Post 2509642)
Ok so it would be best to only use 205 on my spoiler, or how should I buff the spoiler?

What is on the spoiler, paint? How scratched up is it? Has it ever been corrected? What is it made of? All of those questions determine what you need to do.

This is not rocket science but you have to have a understanding of what a product does before you use it. You understand that water will quench your thirst. You also understand that there are other liquids that will do the same but taste better. Although a cold beer might taste better to you, it may not be the beverage of choice while driving down the road with a cop behind you. This is the level of understanding that you need to have with these products. They have their uses and the conditions that you are addressing will dictate what you should use and when you should use it.

I will say this. If you have never corrected the finish on you car, you will probably need the more aggressive polish of the series you use. Of course, it doesn't hurt to try the lesser of the polishes first, but don't be surprised if it doesn't do anything. Once your paint has been corrected, you should NEVER have to get aggressive with it again. If you do, then you are touching the paint incorrectly, whether that is from the way you wash it or the way you remove dust from it. Constantly having to fix your paint because of improper touching is just stupid, and a major waste of time and money.

M105 should be a one time use product on your paint, barring no mishaps. When I hear people say that they use M105 once a month (or however often) to remove paint damage, then I know that they clearly don't have a clue as to what they are doing or how to take care of their paint. The vicious cycle of "fix it, damage it, fix it, damage it" is just ludicrous.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Harvey (Post 2509778)
... One exception to the confusion is the way Adams matches the buffing pads color with the color of the product. I m sure there are other examples.

And that is why I use it and teach with it. The KISS method works and for any novice that hasn't watched this video series, you don't have a clue just how simple this stuff can be.