Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Bad vibration and tire noise! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242723)

MattHale 08-08-2012 10:06 PM

Bad vibration and tire noise!

I'm beyond frustrated right now... I just rolled 4000 miles on my new 45th 2ss and at around 3000 miles it started to develop a vibration in the steering wheel. I took it in for a tire balance and the dealership made it worse. The next day I drove the car to florida to relocate for my new job and the dealership did a full road force balance and sent me home... Vibration and massive tire noise worse than ever.. I went back and they said I had a bad right front tire so they replaced it. I get in my car and the vibration is a little better and there is substantial tire noise and rumble. I got the mechanic in the car and took him for a ride and he had the audacity to tell me that was normal... We all know how amazing our cars drive... They are not supposed to vibrate like a cheap motel bed. Somebody please give me some wisdom on who I need to call or where I need to take the car!! Thank you all!

Shuffler 08-08-2012 10:34 PM

Go to a better dealer.

tavo431 08-09-2012 12:38 AM

Matt I had the same problem, but on 22in wheels. Took it to the dealer, because it vibrated like crazy......they balanced all my wheels n sent me on my way. That did not fix my problem so I went somewhere else to balance my wheels. I'm sad to say that I wasted money on something that did not fix my problem. I could not take the vibration any longer, took it to another dealer and it turned out that one of my rims was slightly bent........once the wheel was fixed the vibration was gone.

My advice to you is to check your wheels.

Hope this helps

TheHorse13 08-09-2012 06:10 AM

I've run into your issue on a different vehicle. It went through everything listed in this thread and nothing worked. Eventually they figured out that a roller bearing was bad on the differential. This is where the drive shaft connects up to the rear just behind the yoke.

After that set of bearings was replaced, the issue never surfaced again. It may be something to check out.

MattHale 08-09-2012 10:09 AM

Thanks for the info!! ill will do that!

Chevrolet Customer Svc 08-09-2012 08:46 PM

MattHale,

I'm very sorry to hear about this continued issue with your Camaro. If you would like to message me your name, phone number, address, VIN, and mileage I could assist you in getting to a dealer and getting this resolved.

Best,
Ashley (assisting Brandon)
Chevrolet Customer Service

ragtop11 08-13-2012 07:07 AM

I just started getting a shimming in my steering wheel at 65+ mph, with only 2800 miles on the car, it just seems that as soon as I get one problem resolved, something else comes up, I know it's under warranty but it gets to be a PIA taking the vehicle in all the time, 40,000 + to me this car is not worth that kind of money. wish I would of purchased it now while GM has their return offer, I would be returning mine.
I would trade it in for something else if I wouldn't loose my A--

Chevrolet Customer Svc 08-13-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragtop11 (Post 5433433)
I just started getting a shimming in my steering wheel at 65+ mph, with only 2800 miles on the car, it just seems that as soon as I get one problem resolved, something else comes up, I know it's under warranty but it gets to be a PIA taking the vehicle in all the time, 40,000 + to me this car is not worth that kind of money. wish I would of purchased it now while GM has their return offer, I would be returning mine.
I would trade it in for something else if I wouldn't loose my A--

ragtop11,

I do apologize for the problems you've experienced so far in your Camaro. If you'd like to send me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and involved dealership I would be happy to assist you with this issue.

Ashley
Chevrolet Customer Service

Angrybird 12 08-13-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHorse13 (Post 5414931)
I've run into your issue on a different vehicle. It went through everything listed in this thread and nothing worked. Eventually they figured out that a roller bearing was bad on the differential. This is where the drive shaft connects up to the rear just behind the yoke.

After that set of bearings was replaced, the issue never surfaced again. It may be something to check out.

I don't see how a bearing in the rear would cause a shimmy in the steering wheel. A bad tire like a broken belt could cause it, did they change the correct tire? Does the vibration get better worse or remain the same when braking?

ragtop11 08-13-2012 02:53 PM

Ashley,
I did not take my car to the dealership, instead to a tire shop that I know of very well and they worked with me on my steering wheel shimmy, they checked the balance and front end, everything seems to be in order, I believe it's the tires that come on the SS Camaro. When I let the car sit for a day or 2 the tires must develop flat spots and I'll get steering wheel shimmy 65+ mph, after driving 10 to 15 miles the
shimmy is hardly noticable. Will keep an eye on things, but still not happy with the car, to many little things that need attention.
thanks for your offer

nick5066 02-06-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattHale (Post 5413970)
I'm beyond frustrated right now... I just rolled 4000 miles on my new 45th 2ss and at around 3000 miles it started to develop a vibration in the steering wheel. I took it in for a tire balance and the dealership made it worse. The next day I drove the car to florida to relocate for my new job and the dealership did a full road force balance and sent me home... Vibration and massive tire noise worse than ever.. I went back and they said I had a bad right front tire so they replaced it. I get in my car and the vibration is a little better and there is substantial tire noise and rumble. I got the mechanic in the car and took him for a ride and he had the audacity to tell me that was normal... We all know how amazing our cars drive... They are not supposed to vibrate like a cheap motel bed. Somebody please give me some wisdom on who I need to call or where I need to take the car!! Thank you all!

Hi I am experiencing similar problem, already visited dealership several times but no use very frustrating. Did balancing, alignment, torque converter replacement and torque converter re-tuning and nothing helped. Did you resolve this issue ?

Childs Play 02-06-2013 09:33 AM

I have this issue too minus the tire noise. Balanced the wheels twice, third time they did a road force balance and found two tires out of round. Those were replaced. Still the issue persisted. I went in again and they checked and turned the rotors. The problem is still there. They tried to tell me it was normal (it's not) and the tires have a resonating frequency. Well... I took it from 70 up to 140 and it got worse the faster it went. That probably wasn't the smartest thing to do but it showed it wasn't the resonating frequency causing the issue.

I'm about to check my driveshaft bolts to see if one of them is loose... I'll update once this is done...

My 2002 Honda Insight has the same problem but I expect it out of a car that is 10 years old and has 250k miles on it... Not a brand new ~$38k Camaro...