Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   USA - California (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   ANY CALI GUYS INSTALL A CAM SHAFT YET IN YOUR 2010??? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34935)

Mayhem Matt 07-30-2009 02:48 PM

ANY CALI GUYS INSTALL A CAM SHAFT YET IN YOUR 2010???

I have the LS3, M6 looking to get a cam shaft installed ASAP. Anyone had one installed or has done an installation in the So Cal area? Prices? Does anyone know if it will void warranty or mess with the smog junk and not let it pass, you know since California is so damn strict on smog??:mad0259::mad0259::mad0259:

Mayhem Matt 09-14-2010 05:16 PM

I know its been a long time and I ended up going with a Vortech supercharger instead of a naturally aspirated set up. NOW my question is... How much are you Southern Cali guys getting charged to install a cam? Is it more beneficial to buy the cam I want and then have the shop I choose install it?. Let me know. I'm looking to get a blower cam installed within the next month or so. Toss me some prices and some good Southern Cali shop referrals!

jay11 09-14-2010 05:22 PM

i had a cam installed yesterday....its freakn badass

Mayhem Matt 09-14-2010 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay11 (Post 2330097)
i had a cam installed yesterday....its freakn badass

How much did it cost?

aet08 09-14-2010 05:31 PM

SILVER BULLITT installed a cam and it's AMAZING. it's naturally aspirated though.
PM him

Mayhem Matt 09-14-2010 05:33 PM

Will do

ls3lsxz 09-15-2010 05:03 PM

if you have LS3 engine not L99 i will recommend a 227/239 .62x/.62x 114 LSa cam,it will push you to 480-490 RWHP

BoomBoomKid 09-15-2010 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumblebee Matt (Post 739737)
I have the LS3, M6 looking to get a cam shaft installed ASAP. Anyone had one installed or has done an installation in the So Cal area? Prices? Does anyone know if it will void warranty or mess with the smog junk and not let it pass, you know since California is so damn strict on smog??:mad0259::mad0259::mad0259:

I strongly recommend a camshaft swap, it will really wakeup your 6.2 LS3. Camshaft swaps in the LS series of engines are fairly simple, much easier than the venerable SB Chevy, heads and intake stay put, the biggest difficulty with the Camaro is removing the radiator and fan.

A Chevy Dealer will not make a camshaft change, it voids the warranty and is not smog legal. I would not go very radical, even a small improvement from stock will bump the hp 50+. I've been given labor costs anywhere from $700 on up. I would recommend new springs to go along with the cam. Of couse a new dyno tune will be required.

Iwantone2 09-15-2010 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoomBoomKid (Post 2334047)
I strongly recommend a camshaft swap, it will really wakeup your 6.2 LS3. Camshaft swaps in the LS series of engines are fairly simple, much easier than the venerable SB Chevy, heads and intake stay put, the biggest difficulty with the Camaro is removing the radiator and fan.

A Chevy Dealer will not make a camshaft change, it voids the warranty and is not smog legal. I would not go very radical, even a small improvement from stock will bump the hp 50+. I've been given labor costs anywhere from $700 on up. I would recommend new springs to go along with the cam. Of couse a new dyno tune will be required.

I really doubt that Bumblebee Matt knows the meaning of warranty...:sm0:

No harm intended, Matt

SILVER BULLITT 09-16-2010 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iwantone2 (Post 2334061)
I really doubt that Bumblebee Matt knows the meaning of warranty...:sm0:

No harm intended, Matt

lol .... how do you spell that " war-NOW I HAVE TO PAY FOR ALL MY STUFF THAT GOES BAD MYSELF-ranty"

might be the worst warranty available but my baby is alive and sure as hell kickin !!!!!

Mike @ CMS 09-16-2010 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ls3lsxz (Post 2333947)
if you have LS3 engine not L99 i will recommend a 227/239 .62x/.62x 114 LSa cam,it will push you to 480-490 RWHP

That Cam will not make that kind of "REAL" power. That might be what the dyno said but dyno numbers are not allways to be believed.

Bumblebee Matt as far as getting a cam installed if you call some shops you can get some really good prices. Just make sure they really know what they're talking about. Your going to want a custom spec'd cam to go with your blower setup that's not going bleed off to much boost. tuning then comes into play. A lot of shops that can tune a blower setup cant always tune a good size cam. Ask to hear cars with similar size cams that they have tuned. Make sure they idle properly especially when cold and not at 1k + rpms.

Mayhem Matt 09-16-2010 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike @ CMS (Post 2336436)
That Cam will not make that kind of "REAL" power. That might be what the dyno said but dyno numbers are not allways to be believed.

Bumblebee Matt as far as getting a cam installed if you call some shops you can get some really good prices. Just make sure they really know what they're talking about. Your going to want a custom spec'd cam to go with your blower setup that's not going bleed off to much boost. tuning then comes into play. A lot of shops that can tune a blower setup cant always tune a good size cam. Ask to hear cars with similar size cams that they have tuned. Make sure they idle properly especially when cold and not at 1k + rpms.

Good info Mike! Ill look into it. I'm looking to get that mean throaty sound of course and still gain the respectable amount of power that goes with my blower. Ill try local shops to see what they have to offer then I will call SILVER BULLET's shop up in Oxnard and go from there! Thanks guys for all the input. If anyone has done business with shops around the Disneyland area let me know where you went! thanks

@Iwantone2 - warranty is definitely NOT my cars middle name :sm0:

2010SSRSM6 09-16-2010 10:55 PM

Matt, since mike chimed in before I could say anything, call him or Ryne at Cunningham Motorsports. I'd bet they will give you the best price and I know the kind of work that comes out of their shop. Their dyno is super conservative, but great for tuning on. I was quoted A LOT less to get a cam installed by them then any of the other shops I spoke with. If you want to check out the shop give me a call and I'll take you buy (and get a certain shifter out of your trunk). :D

Rick

Mayhem Matt 09-17-2010 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 (Post 2339211)
Matt, since mike chimed in before I could say anything, call him or Ryne at Cunningham Motorsports. I'd bet they will give you the best price and I know the kind of work that comes out of their shop. Their dyno is super conservative, but great for tuning on. I was quoted A LOT less to get a cam installed by them then any of the other shops I spoke with. If you want to check out the shop give me a call and I'll take you buy (and get a certain shifter out of your trunk). :D

Rick

Sounds good! I'm waiting for one thing then I can get a cam installed but that sounds like a good idea :)