Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Creative Solution Needed (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215959)

brucedd 04-11-2012 09:00 PM

Creative Solution Needed

Once my ZL1 is delivered, I will have the polished 5-spokes powdercoated. This means I need to get all 4 wheels off the car, tires removed and wheels to powdercoater for 2 or 3 days.

Does anyone have any creative ideas how to leave the car safely for 2 or 3 days without the original wheels & tires?

Given the underside of the ZL1 (and other factors) I really dont like putting it up on jackstands. Does anyone know if some really cheap existing wheels fit the ZL1 over the Brembos OK so I might buy used wheels and tires to just let sit for 2 days?

Can you think of any other creative solutions?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have!

Bruce

Chavira2009 04-11-2012 09:53 PM

You should be ok just laying it on some jack stands, but I do understand your concern for the suspension, it having magnetic ride and all. If you do use jackstands, make sure you put them in the right places, so you don't damage anything underneath. But if you could get some wheels to set it on, it wouldn't be such a bad idea. Anyways, congrats on the new ZL1!!! Enjoy.

brucedd 04-11-2012 11:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chavira2009 (Post 4792544)
You should be ok just laying it on some jack stands, but I do understand your concern for the suspension, it having magnetic ride and all. If you do use jackstands, make sure you put them in the right places, so you don't damage anything underneath. But if you could get some wheels to set it on, it wouldn't be such a bad idea. Anyways, congrats on the new ZL1!!! Enjoy.

Thanks! I don't have it yet, but my concern with the stands is more that there are no exposed jack points or frame to place the stands. At least it seems so from the underside pictures posted due to the huge underside pan.

Thanks again-
Bruce

ZL1Dave 04-12-2012 12:23 AM

There is a thread on here about a product called Jackpoint jack stands You should check them out might just what your looking for

brucedd 04-12-2012 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZL1Dave (Post 4793120)
There is a thread on here about a product called Jackpoint jack stands You should check them out might just what your looking for

Thanks, I saw it in the ZL1 First Oil Change thread and ZL1 Jack Points Thread. It is a possibility, BUT the are a little pricey, almost better to buy 4 cheap new wheels and tires.

Thanks for the thoughts!

S3XPanther 04-12-2012 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZL1Dave (Post 4793120)

:word:

I was just about to post that. They seem like your best option.

brucedd 04-12-2012 09:36 AM

For 4 stands and the jack, it is ~$1,000. Reusable I know, but very little future need.

I am hoping something not as steep as this would make the overall cost of this powdercoating project in excess of $2000. I think I would buy new wheels before I go that steep.

Any thoughts on wheels / tires known to fit the ZL1?

Thanks for the ideas so far!

Joebot8484 04-12-2012 09:41 AM

Cut four disks out of 3/4 inch plywood, drill the holes for the lugs and bolt them on. I'm not saying it will work, but I've seen it done before and it's a cheap way to get r done!

noxqq 04-12-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joebot8484 (Post 4794184)
Cut four disks out of 3/4 inch plywood, drill the holes for the lugs and bolt them on. I'm not saying it will work, but I've seen it done before and it's a cheap way to get r done!

Plywood wheels...interesting. Might just work.

I was going to be a smart azz and ask if concrete blocks were out of the question. :facepalm:

I have been watching this thread myself because I was planning on doing some wheel mods when/if my order ever gets picked up.

brucedd 04-12-2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

And I could custom paint them myself! Wonder how they would do with launch control? ;-)

I do like the creativity factor, but this feels a bit too high risk.... and I suppose for standing only the could have flat bottoms?

Thanx guys, please keep 'em coming!

Bruce

HDRDTD 04-12-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

That's what they did for one of the project cars on the TV show 'Musclecars (I think)' as part of Powerblock TV.

They cut round pieces of 3/4 plywood, drilled holes for the wheel studs and hub, and just bolted them on like a wheel.

Joebot8484 04-12-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HDRDTD (Post 4794442)
That's what they did for one of the project cars on the TV show 'Musclecars (I think)' as part of Powerblock TV.

They cut round pieces of 3/4 plywood, drilled holes for the wheel studs and hub, and just bolted them on like a wheel.

Yup, thats the last place I've seen that done. I've also seen it somewhere before. If 3/4 inch doesn't interest you how about 1"? ;) I'm not saying, I'm just saying....

adamgl 04-12-2012 11:05 AM

Roll up on some ramps. Take off the front aero stuff. Then you have room for a jack on the K member and jack stands???

2001ragtop 04-12-2012 11:08 AM

gm plant location of 4 lifting points of camaro

1 Attachment(s)
I would try to lift the car at these points located under the car. I assume the jacking points in the owners manual are these same places shown in this photo below.

(GM plant location of 4 lifting points of camaro After the suspension is already installed. taken from Rick Mercer comical video where he visited GM Plant.)

If that's where THEY lifted the car, then that's where you should lift it. I would get four hydrualic jacks and place them in those 4 spots.

Everyone else on this website puts a jack under the front engine frame brace. It doesnt sound like you should do that.