Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   What is the difference between a Z28 and a Z/28? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285826)

shaffe 01-03-2014 04:14 PM

I hate to bring this thread back from the dead, but its cold snowy and dead at work so I am haha.

My question still has not been answered. I see everybody talking about how the 14 Z/28 gets back to the racing heritage of the 67-69 cars.

Fbod father does not really state anything about it going from Z/28 to Z28 until 1977 and mostly from then on the purists that the 3rd and 4th gen cars weren't worthy of the Z/28 badge. That I understand, but about the 70 Z?

What about the 70 Z28? It had no slash Did the badge change on purpose bc it wasn't "the same" or is the 70 car kind of like lost in the middle?

alan91z28 01-04-2014 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaffe (Post 7306880)
I hate to bring this thread back from the dead, but its cold snowy and dead at work so I am haha.

My question still has not been answered. I see everybody talking about how the 14 Z/28 gets back to the racing heritage of the 67-69 cars.

Fbod father does not really state anything about it going from Z/28 to Z28 until 1977 and mostly from then on the purists that the 3rd and 4th gen cars weren't worthy of the Z/28 badge. That I understand, but about the 70 Z?

What about the 70 Z28? It had no slash Did the badge change on purpose bc it wasn't "the same" or is the 70 car kind of like lost in the middle?

Personally working in the engineering dept of a larger company than GM, i would strongly bet the change from Z/28 to Z28 in 1970 was purely that when they restyled the 2nd gen they thought the new badge without the "/" gave the look they wanted and that was that and now in 2014 it is back to the "/" as it is a great marketing play to tie back to the heritage of the 1st gen styling that the 5th gen is based around

Z28 is the method of the engineering to factory configuration code... Z/28 or Z28 on the car from beginning to now is branding, marketing, etc to sell cars.

I applaud GM for all the performance they have put into the 5th gen including the new "Z/28". I like all Camaros but like everyone because of my personal tastes i like certain years better than others. I have seven 3rd gens (6 camaros / 1 trans am) including one with a LS3/TVS2300 conversion i did in which i have more in it than a new '14 Z/28... that is what i like so that is what i collect and do, personally the 5th gen is just too big to me, but that is me and again takes nothing away from what GM has done in terms of performance offering for the 5th gen and i appreciate anyone who gets one

So with all that being said in the end GM wants to sell cars to make a profit and fortunately for us, one of the segments they feel is profitable is the muscle/pony car segment... Remember that in 1978 the 2nd gens had a model year production of 272,631 Camaros and nearly 200,000 firebirds, in 1984 model year production of the 3rd gen was 261,591 and another 130,000 or so firebirds... sure everyone knows those cars didn't have great power options, no car did during that time, ever drive a 1984 vette with a cross fire engine? it was still a hit in '84 just like the camaro when the new 3rd gens showed up in '82... it was what they had to work with and they did a great job making / selling pony cars people wanted obviously which is what they are in business for