Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Power Tailgate? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6710)

kanys 09-10-2008 02:39 PM

Power Tailgate?

Was wondering if anyone knew if a power tailgate would be an option? I know this feature is usually reserved for SUV's, but I really really like it:thumbup: . Yeah I know it is just another thing that could break, and it would add weight to the car but to me it would be worth it! I kinda doubt it will be avaliable but that would be sweet, anyone else agree?

stovt001 09-10-2008 02:47 PM

Usually when you hit the button to pop the trunk, it will pop up a foot or so. If you can't be bothered to lift it the next two feet, well I don't know what to say. If you saw that feature on a car, it would be on a Lexus, the car for people who would hire a driver if they could. This is a Camaro. We like to drive our cars and we can be bothered to exert the enormous energy needed to open the trunk lid.

And I thought it was sad when people were complaining about having to walk clear to the other side of the car to gas up. Compared to opening the trunk lid that task looks downright Herculean. I apologize to those who I mocked for that.

pinkcamaro10 09-10-2008 02:47 PM

no thanks.

LadiesMan217 09-10-2008 02:47 PM

I highly doubt it...they only do it for SUV's because the liftgates can get pretty heavy. Trunklids are usually very light.

headpunter 09-10-2008 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadiesMan217 (Post 128302)
I highly doubt it...they only do it for SUV's because the liftgates can get pretty heavy. Trunklids are usually very light.

right on. actually on the new tahoe you cant pull the tailgate up yourself the tahoe opens itself when you touch the latch button

Angrybird 12 09-10-2008 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kanys (Post 128295)
Was wondering if anyone knew if a power tailgate would be an option? I know this feature is usually reserved for SUV's, but I really really like it:thumbup: . Yeah I know it is just another thing that could break, and it would add weight to the car but to me it would be worth it! I kinda doubt it will be avaliable but that would be sweet, anyone else agree?

Tailgate?????
the trunk lid is not that big, usually that kind of thing is either for vehicles with large "Liftgates" or for show cars where you want to have it open and close by it's self.. some cars have a power closer on the trunk where you just get it close to being closed and it will take over and finish closing it and locking it for you. this to me would be unnecessary and cause engineering costs to increase thereby increasing the cost of the car.

35th02ss 09-10-2008 02:54 PM

No........Don't need it

Zieke 09-10-2008 02:56 PM

power tailgate? whawhawhawha... WHAT?!?!
are you insane?!
we use liftgates on our TRUCKS to lift Heavy equipment.
NOT to lift the less than a pound trunk lid. Physics makes the exersion strength less than the actual weight.

thats just a sad and pathetic idea IMO. not hating on you at all. i mean it was just an idea. but one for lazy people.

headpunter 09-10-2008 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zieke (Post 128318)
power tailgate? whawhawhawha... WHAT?!?!
are you insane?!
we use liftgates on our TRUCKS to lift Heavy equipment.
NOT to lift the less than a pound trunk lid. Physics makes the exersion strength less than the actual weight.

thats just a sad and pathetic idea IMO. not hating on you at all. i mean it was just an idea. but one for lazy people.

i think you are thinking of power lifts on the back of box vans. he is talking about power opening trunk. if thats actually what you meant. i wasnt sure because i couldnt imagine lifting equipment with my tailgate on my tahoe.

Zieke 09-10-2008 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headpunter (Post 128325)
i think you are thinking of power lifts on the back of box vans. he is talking about power opening trunk. if thats actually what you meant. i wasnt sure because i couldnt imagine lifting equipment with my tailgate on my tahoe.

exactly my point! people are to darn lazy.
you dont need a motor to open your tailgate or trunk. its stupid
the only time you need it is if your using a liftgate.
weve got two of them on our Chevy trucks to lift pool tables, pinball, jukeboxex, arcade games, etc.. we own an amusement business.

sorry for the ranting and raving. im just against all the mechinization were doing. were getting lazier and lazier.

kanys 09-10-2008 03:13 PM

Yeah lol I was pretty sure I was the only one:laugh: ! I know this car doesn't need it, and it does not match the nature of the vehicle much at all, but I just like pressing the little button (my mom has a Lexus RX with this feature and I like putting random small stuff in the trunk just to have an excuse to open it:thumbup: ). True I have never actually needed it, just something I like. I guess GM better not make this avaliable since they would lose a bunch of money, as they would probably only sell a handfull of them lol. That is good that they know their buyers will not want such options.

Silverado 09-10-2008 03:16 PM

My '90 RS had the power latch option. Allowed you to carefully shut the hatch and then the power portion of it pulled it down the rest of the way. I guess techincally, the release was powered too, but all it did was push it up about an inch.

Doubt you'll see it on this one. The decklid on the 5th Gen is considerably smaller and lighter than the hatches on 3rd and 4th Gens.

Zieke 09-10-2008 03:33 PM

I like how my 78 camaro is done.
The springs attached to the trunk arms inside the car pop the trunk open all of the way. and it takes hardly any effort at all to close the trunk.

correct me if im wrong on the springs. im just assuming.

headpunter 09-10-2008 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zieke (Post 128331)
exactly my point! people are to darn lazy.
you dont need a motor to open your tailgate or trunk. its stupid
the only time you need it is if your using a liftgate.
weve got two of them on our Chevy trucks to lift pool tables, pinball, jukeboxex, arcade games, etc.. we own an amusement business.

sorry for the ranting and raving. im just against all the mechinization were doing. were getting lazier and lazier.

i can get to my keys with arms full of groceries but i cant open the door. on an suv or van very useful on a car not so much.