Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Just ran sea foam through and wow!! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214899)

CamaroC-17 04-07-2012 06:01 PM

Just ran sea foam through and wow!!

I put half in the the brake booster and half in the gas tank. Car ran really rough after sitting for ten minutes. It was putting out white smoke of course. Now I drove it down the road (40 MPH) and the engine was so rough and white smoke was billowing out leaving a smoke screen for about a mile. The car had no power at all. At those point the engine light was on and flashing and the exhaust sounded weird.. I turned onto the highway (smoke now minimum ) and tried to accelerate but it was bogged down. Then like a flip of a light switch I was thrown back in my seat as the power came back, CEL went out and everything was normal. Back at home (5 miles later) parking there was still some smoke so I took it back out. Is all this normal? I was super shocked at the quantity of smoke and thickness. Cars going the other way had to slow down.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

The_Blur 04-07-2012 06:04 PM

Please be kidding.

CamaroC-17 04-07-2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Blur (Post 4771456)
Please be kidding.

Ummm? No...? :( should I be worried? Did I do something wrong?

The_Blur 04-07-2012 06:15 PM

You don't put anything in the gas tank except gas. You need a tow to a GM dealer.

Caswell239 04-07-2012 06:15 PM

The heavy white smoke is normal. Never experienced major power loss when doin it. Why are you doing it on a new car? That's the kind of thing you do on older stuff 10 years+

midnighter 04-07-2012 06:16 PM

I hydrolocked an engine in the past and it let out plenty of white smoke too.

CamaroC-17 04-07-2012 06:20 PM

My car has 50k miles on it. It runs great so I don't think I need a tow. My wife's Nissan ran rough too until it all ran though.

CamaroC-17 04-07-2012 06:41 PM

There are lots of posts on here about peeps using it. Also I just filled her up and broke loose sideways pretty good when I accelerated moderately. New tires on it to (200 miles). So I think she's running great.

timon2wheels 04-07-2012 07:14 PM

Half in the brake booster?!?

bmorecam 04-07-2012 07:14 PM

One thing peoples usually do with seafoam is to run it through the gas tank, so I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised:iono: Plus it's 100% petrolium so it's definitely safe to use.

there are actually many many peoples on this forum who faithfully run seafoam through the gas tank every oil change. Now one thing I and most peoples will not agree with is the use of seafoam to clean out the oil system. Seafoam is all liquid so you do need to becareful when using, but as long as you follow proper direction and pour in small amount at a time into the booster you should be fine. There was actually a top engine cleaner that foams called mopar combustion chamber cleaner or MCCC that everyone praised and recommended as being one of the best but unfortunately it's discontinued. Another cleaner that I am going to try next is by amsoil called power foam. I heard that it works very well. It also foams as soon as you spray so hydrolocking should be impossible.

I ran some seafoam through the gas tank to clean out my fuel system and injectors and also did top engine cleaning through the booster. Same as the op, it smoked profusely to a point where I had to pull over and find a side road with no cars. After I changed my oil as recommended I felt my car feel much much better. The response was better and the idle was much smoother.

Seafoam does it's job and been that way as long as I could remember. As long as you follow direction as you would with any other cleaner brand and type and use it properly anyone should be fine.

formare 04-07-2012 07:25 PM

I run seafoam. Very happy with it. OP you might want to check out YouTube for videos on how most do the procedure. I would not drive the car unti the procedure was complete. Normally I run it through the front PVC connection not the brake booster.

This helps ensure a more even distribution to all cylinders. Once the product is "in" ( this is the procudeure part ) shut the engine off for a few minutes. Then let the engine idle until the smoke has cleared. Normally you will see no CEL if done per instructions.

CamaroC-17 04-07-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by formare (Post 4771773)
I run seafoam. Very happy with it. OP you might want to check out YouTube for videos on how most do the procedure. I would not drive the car unti the procedure was complete. Normally I run it through the front PVC connection not the brake booster.

This helps ensure a more even distribution to all cylinders. Once the product is "in" ( this is the procudeure part ) shut the engine off for a few minutes. Then let the engine idle until the smoke has cleared. Normally you will see no CEL if done per instructions.

So was I suppose to let it idle until no more smoke?

formare 04-07-2012 07:38 PM

Generally speaking, yes I believe that is the process. Getting it in the system is the big to-do; requires two people.

fielderLS3 04-07-2012 07:44 PM

Yeah, Sea Foam will make a lot of smoke. It could last a good half hour in some cases. Not sure why you would do it unless the engine was running poorly beforehand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by timon2wheels (Post 4771743)
Half in the brake booster?!?

That's how you get it into the engine. You disconnect the vacuum line to the power brake booster, and slowly pour it into the vacuum line, letting the engine suck it into the intake manifold.