Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Price gouging on 2010 Camaro already beginning! (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101)

Tran 08-11-2006 05:36 AM

Price gouging on 2010 Camaro already beginning!
 
Some GM dealers have already begun auctioning the right to purchase the first 2009 Chevrolet Camaros on eBay. Currently, 'Buy It Now' prices sit between $20,000 and $25,000 (the amount the customer agrees to pay on top of the car's MSRP!!).

Back in May, some dealers began taking $1,000 deposits for the new Camaro. But, GM pressured the dealers to remove ads for down-payments, because production for the car had not yet been approved. However, following yesterday's official announcement that GM will build the Camaro, it seems the dealers are right back at it again.

Heelz2315 08-11-2006 06:00 AM

This will be just like when Ford changed the Mustang a year or two ago. When the GT's came out, dealers were doing that, 6 months later they were easier to find and at sticker.

The goobers at these dealerships charging $20K over sticker are in for a shock, b/c no body will pay that initially unless the car is a limited production, ala the Shelby GT 500. A regular 6cyl, or 8 cyl Camaro will not sell that high above MSRP for very long if at all.

Moose 08-11-2006 08:14 AM

IMO, dealers doing this shouldn't get any of our business! :mad:

Thats why I plan on waiting out the initial "hype", and I'll gladly pay STICKER for my 5th Gen.! ;)

Moose 08-11-2006 08:29 AM

At the local FORD dealer, the dealer is charging $25K, over sticker for the Shelby Mustang! :mad:

My sister was on the list for the 2nd one allocated to them, but when she heard that, she hung up on them. I did see the 1st one delivered and the goof who payed the mark-up. :eek:

TAG UR IT 08-11-2006 10:39 AM

As previously stated, I will not pay anything above msrp. The dealers can kiss it. I swear...if a dealer tries this crap on me...oh boy am I gonna be pissed. Don't do it. Don't pay anything over msrp. I'll wait it out if I have to.

KILLER74Z28 08-11-2006 12:50 PM

The sad thing is some poor sap is going to shell out 25k or more just to have the first one on the block... Sucker!

pwolfrod 08-11-2006 01:35 PM

well i think they will have a hard time selling 100,000 units if this kind of
stupid shi- keeps going on for 4-8 months after production

KILLER74Z28 08-11-2006 02:59 PM

Just got back from my local Chevy Dealer. Put my name on the list. He stated not much info on the Camaro yet but he will keep me in the loop. He also stated he can't believe that there is price gouging already. He stated, "That’s the stupidest thing a dealer can do, customers for life, not a one time deal"...

Tran 08-11-2006 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28
Just got back from my local Chevy Dealer. Put my name on the list. He stated not much info on the Camaro yet but he will keep me in the loop. He also stated he can't believe that there is price gouging already. He stated, "Thatís the stupidest thing a dealer can do, customers for life, not a one time deal"...

Congrats! Are you #1 on the list?

KILLER74Z28 08-11-2006 04:53 PM

I would say most likely because of how small the town is, but not able to confirm it.

Cleric 08-11-2006 06:25 PM

if it was limited supply mabye i would be for it but seeing as the are going to need to sale 100k a year it will drop fast as the majority of people wont pay over MSRP. Hell i wont even pay MSRP.

KILLER74Z28 08-11-2006 07:16 PM

eBay Find of the Day: 2009 Camaro
Posted Aug 11th 2006 11:08AM by Damon Lavrinc
Filed under: Detroit Auto Show, Sports/GTs, Auction Action, Chevrolet

You might recall some reports earlier this year of dealers accepting down payments on the new Camaro after the concept debuted. Those dealers were "asked" by GM to remove such a program and return any money that had been received. The reason stated at the time was that the Camaro hadn't been given the green light as of yet, hence it was irresponsible to sell a car that might not even be produced.

Well, now that the prospect of the General not building the Camaro has been debunked, it's open season and the first to take advantage is Lyons, Illinois car dealer Jack Phelan.

The enterprising salesman has posted an auction on eBay to allow pre-purchase of the first Camaro to arrive at his dealership. However, since a retail price has yet to be announced, the bidding isn't for the cost of the car per se, but the markup of the MSRP.

Starting bid is at $5,000 with a "Buy It Now" price of $20-large. Irresponsible profiteering or the free market at work? You decided in comments.

KILLER74Z28 08-11-2006 08:34 PM

Right off eBay. We should all call this guys cell to tell him what BS this is…

Item number: 320016440692

Vehicle Description

You are bidding on the right to have our first 2009 Chevy Camaro. Chevrolet has just officially announced the release of the new generation Camaro.

By winning this bid, you are winning the right to be the first in line at our dealership and recieve our first order.* You can pick your color, your options and have it all ordered in your name. The winning bid does not include the price of the Camaro itself, which will be at MSRP.

Scheduled to be released late 2008 as a 2009 model year Camaro. This exciting "Blast from the Past" (based loosely on the 1969 model) will give you vintage good looks with modern touches. More power, more room, better handling, better fuel economy & the list goes on and on. There will both V6 & V8 models with manual & automatic transmissions available. We do expect the return of the SS & possibly the Z28 as well.

Call Shawn (800-944-2146, or on his mobile at 573-220-9743) for all the details. This is an exciting chance to own a piece of Camaro history. This is sure to be a collectors item!

*By being the winning bidder, you agree to buy the right to buy our first 2009 Camaro at MSRP. The winning bid is non-negotiable and non-refundable. We reserve the right to end this auction at any time. By agreeing to buy our first 2009 Camaro, you are agreeing to all rules and regulations that Chevrolet, GM or Forrest Chevrolet may have in regard to ordering this Camaro. We cannot control ordering time or restrictions implemented per Chevrolet.

camaro2009 08-11-2006 09:37 PM

I put my money down 1 month ago, $1000.00 deposit, call me stupid, but they are selling theirs for 2,500 over MSRP. Stated on my receipt. Im #2 on the list at Superior Chevrolet in Kansas City. Call me crazy, but I want this car and 2,500 will not keep me from being the first in my small town, to bring it home, and whip up my neighbors who bought the Charger, and my friend who is ordering the Challenger, Bowtie power will rule my town once again.

TAG UR IT 08-12-2006 12:50 AM

2,500 over msrp might not be anything at all to some, but I'd rather put that into some custom stereo stuff or extra add ons. Once again, not a dime over MSRP...even below that if I can swing it. I'd like to be the first, but I won't pay to be the first. No way.

OH, and sadly enough, ebay dude most likely will eventually get a taker. SUCKER!!!

BlacLac02 08-12-2006 10:10 AM

this really pissed me off when i heard about marking up the price of the camaro 20- 25 grand over sticker, first of all this is going to totally mess up gm's plan of continuing to make the camaro if they dont even reach their goal of the 100,000 the first year. just because some prick at the dealership wants to make some more money because they know the camaro is going to be a huge seller. theres no way in hell im paying anything over sticker for this car especially anywhere near 10 grand over. thats just rediculous.

birdy233 08-12-2006 02:36 PM

Has anyone went to their Chevy dealer and "really" asked about ordering a Camaro yet? I'm willing to go and order one now but it's over 2 1/2 years before the car will be available and a good 1 1/2 years before the dealer can go to the computer and place your order. I just wanted to check to see if anyone checked with a dealer and what their response was about getting their name on a pre-order list.

jbynum69 08-12-2006 03:04 PM

I've already talked to 2 different chevy dealers and both told me that the mark up is not only stupid its ,Not going to happen HERE!!!
the mark up is a scare tactic and a shame on anyone who puts in to this lie.
I know that gm will find out about this and the press too.

The car doesn't come out for over 2 yrs and there is no option plans set yet and prices are not available (and will change many times in the next 2 yrs)
Also the car has to be made first and God forbid the economy saying dump time.

I learned a great lesson after 56 cars ,never give them what they say, car sales poeple are out to make profits not friends, so , let them claim the mark ups (its like y2k crapola ) It will media eaten by 07 and gm doesn't need that kind of negative market placing, especially about a car that is so popular to bring in a wide range of buyers.

(I won the andy rooney award, thank you)

KILLER74Z28 08-12-2006 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdy233
Has anyone went to their Chevy dealer and "really" asked about ordering a Camaro yet? I'm willing to go and order one now but it's over 2 1/2 years before the car will be available and a good 1 1/2 years before the dealer can go to the computer and place your order. I just wanted to check to see if anyone checked with a dealer and what their response was about getting their name on a pre-order list.

Just go down to your Chevy dealer and talk to a salesman. Tell him/her what you want to do. I guarantee they will help you out. If you don't like the price move on to the next one.

birdy233 08-12-2006 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbynum69
never give them what they say, car sales poeple are out to make profits not friends, so , let them claim the mark ups (its like y2k crapola ) It will media eaten by 07 and gm doesn't need that kind of negative market placing, especially about a car that is so popular to bring in a wide range of buyers.

Although I do agree with not paying more and you are 100% correct about dealers making a profit not friends, simple economics (and if you owned a dealership) is that if people are willing to pay more than sticker the dealers are not going to say no and sell all the first Camaro's at a mark up.

GM would love the press, you can see it now, people are paying thousands over sticker just to get their hands on the all new Camaro......Free press from the media....you bet they love it.

If demand and the fools who are willing to pay over sticker is the reality in 2.5 yrs then you will get the greedy dealers marking up the new Camaro, but who is to blame?? It's the fools who pay more, not the dealers. What would you do if you own a dealership and someone wants to pay you $4K-$5K over sticker because they have to have it now?? Answer honestly now! :) :)

birdy233 08-12-2006 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28
Just go down to your Chevy dealer and talk to a salesman. Tell him/her what you want to do. I guarantee they will help you out. If you don't like the price move on to the next one.


That is what I want to find out, if anyone has actually visited their local Chevy dealer yet and if so, what were they told. I did e-mail a few of my local dealers but have not heard back yet.

I just wonder and doubt they would accept a cash down payment 2.5+ yrs in advance. I ordered two "hot" cars before (Mini Cooper and PT Cruiser at MSRP) and it was 5-6 months prior to release date and they were confused then, I can only imagine years away if they could even manage that!

KILLER74Z28 08-12-2006 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdy233
That is what I want to find out, if anyone has actually visited their local Chevy dealer yet and if so, what were they told. I did e-mail a few of my local dealers but have not heard back yet.

I just wonder and doubt they would accept a cash down payment 2.5+ yrs in advance. I ordered two "hot" cars before (Mini Cooper and PT Cruiser at MSRP) and it was 5-6 months prior to release date and they were confused then, I can only imagine years away if they could even manage that!

That's what I did. They said no info yet on when I could order but they would contact me ASAP as soon as I could. Then all I had to do is build it like I want it, options allowing. They said I would definitely not pay over MSRP.

KILLER74Z28 08-12-2006 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdy233
Although I do agree with not paying more and you are 100% correct about dealers making a profit not friends, simple economics (and if you owned a dealership) is that if people are willing to pay more than sticker the dealers are not going to say no and sell all the first Camaro's at a mark up.

GM would love the press, you can see it now, people are paying thousands over sticker just to get their hands on the all new Camaro......Free press from the media....you bet they love it.

If demand and the fools who are willing to pay over sticker is the reality in 2.5 yrs then you will get the greedy dealers marking up the new Camaro, but who is to blame?? It's the fools who pay more, not the dealers. What would you do if you own a dealership and someone wants to pay you $4K-$5K over sticker because they have to have it now?? Answer honestly now! :) :)

I totally agree. I will say one thing though, Not every dealer is out to make a buck. There are plenty of dealers out there that want you to be a customer fore life. The average person will purchase 6 new vehicles in their life time. A smart dealer knows this and will try there hardest to satisfy every customer that walks through their showroom doors. As a result, the satisfied customers purchase 6 vehicle from his/hers dealership. That’s where the money is… The fun part is finding a dealer with this kind of attitude and smarts.

TAG UR IT 08-12-2006 11:29 PM

Bingo. I found my dealer...and already purchased 4 cars/trucks from them. With that history, I seriously doubt they will lose me to another dealer. As soon as I get the chance, I'm gonna swing by Ancira and see what my guy says.

Hey, and the first sucker has placed a bid on that ebay camaro. Unbelievable.... I'm gonna keep watching it and see if anyone else tries to outbid him/her.

TAG UR IT 08-14-2006 12:16 AM

3 bids now...$5,778.90. they gotta stop b4 all dealers see this crap and decide to give it a try themselves....this is BS!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.