Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V6 (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Decisions, decisions (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104617)

Switchin2Chevy 09-07-2010 02:45 PM

Decisions, decisions
 
I've got just general questions really. I've got a 2LT, with the RS package and I'm wondering if I where to go with a Turbo or Supercharger kit, would it really be worth it for a daily driver..? The wife's already said "no" but I'd talk her in to it if it went that route..! But if I didn't, aside from, changes to the exhaust, headers, etc., what are some other mods I could make without ending up in the poor house. I'd like to get as Superchatger or Turbo kit if it was really worth it. But I'm seeing more cons than pros, cause for one I don't frequent the track and usually Florida State Troopers are everyone limiting that room to run! Just looking for some input! Thanks folks! Any insight is appreciated..

CamaroDreams07 09-07-2010 04:20 PM

You have a lot of time to think about it. There is only one TC on the market right now and it's far from perfect. There are no SC options that I know of.

If you're just driving normally, you probably don't need it. Instead, get headers, tune, exhaust, and CAI and be done with it. Less than $3000 and more than enough power for daily driving.

4thGen427CI 09-07-2010 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC2150 (Post 2305816)
Have to agree. Just what your budget will allow. A maggie installed is $6500-7000, and depending on the turbo setup (single, dual, size, etc.) that & more. The results though are spectacular!:headbang:

they make maggies for the v6??? :confused0068:

Switchin2Chevy 09-07-2010 06:21 PM

All good ideas folks. I like where your heads aer at. I was thinking along the same lines.

usa1camaro1969 09-07-2010 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C6LS2_or_2010camaro_owner (Post 2305873)
they make maggies for the v6??? :confused0068:

No....That's for the v8.

jim505 09-08-2010 08:40 AM

I have the STS Turbo installed and lov'n it. I use the car for a daily driver, be prepared to spend around 8,000 installed.

Z Madness 09-08-2010 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 (Post 2305656)
You have a lot of time to think about it. There is only one TC on the market right now and it's far from perfect. There are no SC options that I know of.

If you're just driving normally, you probably don't need it. Instead, get headers, tune, exhaust, and CAI and be done with it. Less than $3000 and more than enough power for daily driving.

Why do you say that the STS kit is far from perfect? Hurst is planning to sell 50 Limited Editions with the STS Kit. Jim and I have successfully installed the kit. I know there are a couple of other cars running around with the kit with no issues. So I'm curious as to your comment.:iono:

Maurdib 09-08-2010 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z Madness (Post 2309284)
Why do you say that the STS kit is far from perfect? Hurst is planning to sell 50 Limited Editions with the STS Kit. Jim and I have successfully installed the kit. I know there are a couple of other cars running around with the kit with no issues. So I'm curious as to your comment.:iono:

I think people are going to continue to say that until someone with the kit gets on the track and proves it works. The only track test we've seen was slower then stock

Z Madness 09-08-2010 04:37 PM

So the only way to prove that it works is to get a track time? Is there a minimum 1/4 mile time that needs to be run for it to work? Jim will be taking care of that soon so we should make sure he know what number he has to hit.

Maurdib 09-08-2010 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z Madness (Post 2309636)
So the only way to prove that it works is to get a track time? Is there a minimum 1/4 mile time that needs to be run for it to work? Jim will be taking care of that soon so we should make sure he know what number he has to hit.

Bolt ons fastest times are 13.8, with over one hundred more horse I think people would like to see something like a 13.2 and under

usa1camaro1969 09-08-2010 08:09 PM

There's more to running a fast time than just power(ask the SS guys that are running 14's). There is some skill involved, and the power has to be plantable. There's v6 guys running nitrous who haven't gotten as low as you're wanting mostly due to traction.
I am impressed with the STS kit. Turbo just isn't the way I wanted to go(mostly due to price as I'm a cheap-ass). I am hoping when Jim gets it to the track we are all impressed.

Z Madness 09-08-2010 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usa1camaro1969 (Post 2310384)
There's more to running a fast time than just power(ask the SS guys that are running 14's). There is some skill involved, and the power has to be plantable. There's v6 guys running nitrous who haven't gotten as low as you're wanting mostly due to traction.
I am impressed with the STS kit. Turbo just isn't the way I wanted to go(mostly due to price as I'm a cheap-ass). I am hoping when Jim gets it to the track we are all impressed.

Agreed. I'm hoping Jim can put down some numbers. I just don't understand why people think the STS kit doesn't work. I think once the 50 Hurst models are out, if they sell any, they will be put to the "test".

I wish I had access to a 1/4 mile track. For now, I'm just enjoying the Turbo.

Maurdib 09-09-2010 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usa1camaro1969 (Post 2310384)
There's more to running a fast time than just power(ask the SS guys that are running 14's). There is some skill involved, and the power has to be plantable. There's v6 guys running nitrous who haven't gotten as low as you're wanting mostly due to traction.
I am impressed with the STS kit. Turbo just isn't the way I wanted to go(mostly due to price as I'm a cheap-ass). I am hoping when Jim gets it to the track we are all impressed.

HUH, didn't ROD register a 12.6 on a 100 shot of NOS?

Maurdib 09-09-2010 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z Madness (Post 2311214)
Agreed. I'm hoping Jim can put down some numbers. I just don't understand why people think the STS kit doesn't work. I think once the 50 Hurst models are out, if they sell any, they will be put to the "test".

I wish I had access to a 1/4 mile track. For now, I'm just enjoying the Turbo.

The thing people also have issue with is that it shouldn't be you or Jim that needs to prove it works, STS should have all the stats of what their kit can do, but they blatantly avoid giving 1/4 mile numbers, that makes people errie

Z Madness 09-09-2010 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maurdib (Post 2312664)
HUH, didn't ROD register a 12.6 on a 100 shot of NOS?

Yes he did but others with N2O have also run 14+. He is saying that other conditions can affect performance, like traction, etc. If the only post was the N2O guy that ran 14+, I assume you would say it doesn't work? Rod1 did a great job with his set-up but it wasn't just the N2O that got him the 12.6 run.

Z Madness 09-09-2010 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maurdib (Post 2312672)
The thing people also have issue with is that it shouldn't be you or Jim that needs to prove it works, STS should have all the stats of what their kit can do, but they blatantly avoid giving 1/4 mile numbers, that makes people errie

C'mon, not all FI manufacturers post 1/4 mile times for their products. STS didn't post the times nor make any claims that their system would run a certain time in the quarter. AACS posted their Vid's and the car clearly wasn't ready nor was AACS ready to run the car. I don't remember seeing any proof from NEX that their kit ran ____ in the 1/4 mile. In fact, I don't think I saw any 1/4 times from manufactures like Vortex, Maggie, etc. Most will only post HP increases as that is what they can provide as fact. As USA1Camaro pointed out, a lot of factors affect 1/4 times. I just don't get your argument of the kit doesn't work. I'm glad others, like RDditten and Hurst are putting on these kits. They are great and makes the V-6 Camaro so much more fun.

scrming 09-09-2010 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z Madness (Post 2313244)
C'mon, not all FI manufacturers post 1/4 mile times for their products. STS didn't post the times nor make any claims that their system would run a certain time in the quarter. AACS posted their Vid's and the car clearly wasn't ready nor was AACS ready to run the car. I don't remember seeing any proof from NEX that their kit ran ____ in the 1/4 mile. In fact, I don't think I saw any 1/4 times from manufactures like Vortex, Maggie, etc. Most will only post HP increases as that is what they can provide as fact. As USA1Camaro pointed out, a lot of factors affect 1/4 times. I just don't get your argument of the kit doesn't work. I'm glad others, like RDditten and Hurst are putting on these kits. They are great and makes the V-6 Camaro so much more fun.

rdditten (rich) is just down the street from me.. (ok, couple of little towns over) and I know he plans on doing before and after track runs at our local track... can't wait...

scrming 09-09-2010 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z Madness (Post 2313244)
C'mon, not all FI manufacturers post 1/4 mile times for their products. STS didn't post the times nor make any claims that their system would run a certain time in the quarter. AACS posted their Vid's and the car clearly wasn't ready nor was AACS ready to run the car. I don't remember seeing any proof from NEX that their kit ran ____ in the 1/4 mile. In fact, I don't think I saw any 1/4 times from manufactures like Vortex, Maggie, etc. Most will only post HP increases as that is what they can provide as fact. As USA1Camaro pointed out, a lot of factors affect 1/4 times. I just don't get your argument of the kit doesn't work. I'm glad others, like RDditten and Hurst are putting on these kits. They are great and makes the V-6 Camaro so much more fun.

Thats all true.. HOWEVER I bet you never seen a Vortech, Maggie, etc. run SLOWER than stock either!

scrming 09-09-2010 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z Madness (Post 2309284)
Why do you say that the STS kit is far from perfect? Hurst is planning to sell 50 Limited Editions with the STS Kit. Jim and I have successfully installed the kit. I know there are a couple of other cars running around with the kit with no issues. So I'm curious as to your comment.:iono:

But are you still having issues? I mean not big ones but the other day you were having some issues...

Z Madness 09-09-2010 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrming (Post 2313539)
Thats all true.. HOWEVER I bet you never seen a Vortech, Maggie, etc. run SLOWER than stock either!

You are talking about the AACS car. Yes, it has some problems the time it ran. I am sure there have been at least one instance of a Maggie or Vortex running slower than a stock time at the 1/4. Its just that no one would be willing to post it.

Z Madness 09-09-2010 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrming (Post 2313549)
But are you still having issues? I mean not big ones but the other day you were having some issues...

Not issues with the STS main kit. Issues are mostly due to the meth kit that I installed, which is the first kit for STS on the V-6. So yeah, I expected some problems to occur as I am the "test" case for the meth. In fact, since the base kit was working fine, I decided to do more mods and yes, I am having issues with some of these mods. The numbers will be there, I'm rooting for RDditten as well (who is a reseller of the kit) and I know Jim will be running soon. I'm just worried that if their first run isn't as well as you are expecting then everyone will say the STS Turbo doesn't work. It does!

scrming 09-09-2010 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z Madness (Post 2313703)
You are talking about the AACS car. Yes, it has some problems the time it ran. I am sure there have been at least one instance of a Maggie or Vortex running slower than a stock time at the 1/4. Its just that no one would be willing to post it.

No trust me... some one would be willing to post...

scrming 09-09-2010 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z Madness (Post 2313729)
Not issues with the STS main kit. Issues are mostly due to the meth kit that I installed, which is the first kit for STS on the V-6. So yeah, I expected some problems to occur as I am the "test" case for the meth. In fact, since the base kit was working fine, I decided to do more mods and yes, I am having issues with some of these mods. The numbers will be there, I'm rooting for RDditten as well (who is a reseller of the kit) and I know Jim will be running soon. I'm just worried that if their first run isn't as well as you are expecting then everyone will say the STS Turbo doesn't work. It does!

I'm not worried about the first run if it doesn't run as well as expected as long as some one steps up to the plate and gives straight answers as to why... not some BS run-around....

As I mentioned Rich lives not to far away from me... going to to my absolute best to get out to the track when he's ready...

I know you believe the STS system works.... I would love for it to work! But for the one track outing it had, it didn't work and we never got a satisfactory answer why it didn't....

usa1camaro1969 09-09-2010 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maurdib (Post 2312664)
HUH, didn't ROD register a 12.6 on a 100 shot of NOS?

Actually, I think it was a 12.4_. The thing I was trying to state is power output and putting the power to the pavement are 2 different things. If whoever puts this thing on their car leaves on stock tires and doesn't attempt to do anything to help the car plant they aren't going to do as well as they could. There are SS drivers that are having issues and running 14's. It's not the car's fault. The car is still putting out the power.

The AAC car had more issues than STS or AAC were willing to admit. I'm just glad a few have stepped up and gotten the kit regardless. I still want to know why they are having trouble stabilizing the boost. It's not like this is their first rodeo. It would've been nice to have STS put one on and prove their product rather than having customers do their R&D for them(or so it seems).

Z- I hope you get the meth-kit worked out. I'd like to see increased boost.
I've gone the cheap way. My NX kit is due at my door the 13th. Wish me luck.

Z Madness 09-09-2010 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrming (Post 2313760)
I'm not worried about the first run if it doesn't run as well as expected as long as some one steps up to the plate and gives straight answers as to why... not some BS run-around....

As I mentioned Rich lives not to far away from me... going to to my absolute best to get out to the track when he's ready...

I know you believe the STS system works.... I would love for it to work! But for the one track outing it had, it didn't work and we never got a satisfactory answer why it didn't....

Ok, I know we will see good numbers. I agree, the AACS run was a fail. I spoke to AACS and clearly, they are not tuners (but they make great lighting stuff). I'm just surprised that you don't think the kit works. It's like all those that say Trifecta can't tune the V-6.

BONE STOCK
1 nhra stocker LS3 3/7/2010 1.972 8.195 @ 88.58 MPH 12.58 @ 110.30 MPH 263
Internal Engine Mods plus Bolt-Ons (e.g. bolt-ons plus heads and/or cam)
12. ColdCamaroSS - 12.97 @ 115.55 mph, (Cam, LT, Exhaust, CAI, Tune, (LS3, M6) # 517
Power Adders (Nitrous, Turbo, Supercharger)
30. Rickerbucks - 12.20 @ 120.59 mph, (Supercharger/2300, Cam, LT, CAI), (LS3, M6), # 488

My point is 1/4 time are very indicative of performance but should not be the reason if a certain mod works or doesn't. I know there are FI V-8's that have run slower than NHRA's stock run of 12.58. Look at those MPH's at the trap for Riverbucks! Too many other variables.

By the way, I'll be posting up soon on some of the additional mods and changes. I personally want to acheive at least 400 rwhp. I just don't have access to a track to prove that my car works.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.