Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Transmission / Driveline (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   NEW PISTOL GRIP SHIFTER WITH TAP SHIFT (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116908)

CFD 11-23-2010 03:11 PM

GROUP BUY ON NEW PISTOL GRIP SHIFTER WITH TAP SHIFT

2 Attachment(s)
UPDATED POST 12/28/2011

Hi everyone. I am updating this post so that some important info will be easier to find.

Link to installation instructions.
http://www.cartersfabanddesign.com/carters_011.htm

Link to youtube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=0UbMJ7ebYHk

Link to pic and sketck of purple wire and connector
http://camaro5.com/forums/showpost.p...&postcount=332

The best and fastest way for C5 members to get more info or order is here in the thread or by PM.

Wrinkle black and textured black are usually in stock. Custom colors usually take 2-3 days to assemble.

Here is the price breakdown as of 1/1/2012

Wrinkle black and textured black with polished or brushed frame $259.00

Wrinkle black and textured black with colored frame $269.00

colored grips with polished or brushed frame $269.00

Colored grips with colored frame $279.00

Fully polished grips with polished or colored frame $289.00

Carbon Fiber grips with polished or brushed frame $289.00

As always, free shipping to the US.

Below are a couple of pics of a variety of the colors used. Keep in mind any combo of the pictured colors can be used

AC 11-23-2010 03:23 PM

This is what I've been looking for. I have ran into a couple corner were I have lost the location of the taps because the corners were to shape and would love to be able to use the shifter. Thanks, I will follow your progress.

ArkySS 11-23-2010 03:37 PM

Nice!

CFD 11-23-2010 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC (Post 2574794)
This is what I've been looking for. I have ran into a couple corner were I have lost the location of the taps because the corners were to shape and would love to be able to use the shifter. Thanks, I will follow your progress.

All that use these shifters agree it's the most user friendly method of shifting. Button location is the same as our original design for same ease of use and comfort.

Entaille 11-23-2010 05:08 PM

this one looks much cleaner then the original!

decepticon 11-23-2010 05:50 PM

I like em' if the price is reasonable, I'll definitely get one. is this DIY worthy?

Entaille 11-23-2010 05:55 PM

I think his other shift was priced around 350-400$. I like the newer design better and I don't see anyone designing a stationary column attached shifter set up anytime soon - I'd be a buyer if you end up doing some intro runs around 200$.

definitely DIY worthy and the difficulty of the work is not bad at all.

CFD 11-23-2010 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Entaille (Post 2575302)
I think his other shift was priced around 350-400$. I like the newer design better and I don't see anyone designing a stationary column attached shifter set up anytime soon - I'd be a buyer if you end up doing some intro runs around 200$.

definitely DIY worthy and the difficulty of the work is not bad at all.

The original shifters started in that price range but have come down. In re-designing the current pistol grip machine time has been substantially reduced so the price will reflect this with a lower list price. It will be a big savings.

Entaille 11-23-2010 07:32 PM

cool deal. I will check it out when it's ready!

CFD 11-23-2010 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by decepticon (Post 2575286)
I like em' if the price is reasonable, I'll definitely get one. is this DIY worthy?

The installation is quite easy and is the same as the original shifter. This link may have some usefull info and a link for the instructions.http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100021

Entaille 11-23-2010 08:02 PM

-how does the new design feel in your hand?

-button placement still pretty spot on? did the grip style add length making it harder for your fingers to reach, or are you using your thumb?

-typically the shifter has the button to unlock the shifter and allow you to change it's position, where will this have it?

thanks, you've peaked my interest with this one.

CFD 11-23-2010 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Entaille (Post 2575712)
-how does the new design feel in your hand?

-button placement still pretty spot on? did the grip style add length making it harder for your fingers to reach, or are you using your thumb?

-typically the shifter has the button to unlock the shifter and allow you to change it's position, where will this have it?

thanks, you've peaked my interest with this one.

The buttons are in pretty much the same location. I rest my hand on top of the shifter and shift with a flick of the thumb. Some hold it as a grip from the side and shift with the thumb, it is very natural.

The release mechanism is internal and is not seen.

The shifter is comfortable, although not as cosmetically pleasing to some the original shifter is more comfortable IMHO. There is a photo here with my hand in the shift position, I use the same hand position on both designs. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100021

Caspers2SSRS 11-24-2010 12:32 PM

George, Your incredible shifters and the time you've taken, energy and expence to design, build and supply them is worthy of many Kudo's. In time as it allows I'd like join the ranks of other who are appreciative of the opportunity and purchase one as well. Have you considered building one where the swiches are internally mounted and controlled by having the upper portion of the shifter handle alone articulate to the left and right. Once Again Thank You......... Dave/Casper

svtjackal 11-24-2010 01:24 PM

I like that one much much better than the original, thanks for listening to the criticism and upgrading your product,

CFD 11-24-2010 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svtjackal (Post 2577901)
I like that one much much better than the original, thanks for listening to the criticism and upgrading your product,

I'm a stubborn prick but I do listen.

CFD 11-24-2010 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caspers2SSRS (Post 2577719)
George, Your incredible shifters and the time you've taken, energy and expence to design, build and supply them is worthy of many Kudo's. In time as it allows I'd like join the ranks of other who are appreciative of the opportunity and purchase one as well. Have you considered building one where the swiches are internally mounted and controlled by having the upper portion of the shifter handle alone articulate to the left and right. Once Again Thank You......... Dave/Casper

Hi Dave. Here is the scoop. In re-designing the shifter (unlike the first version) I came up with some very simple yet innovative design features that allow a lot of flexibility in design capabilities. I have been working on a shifter as you are describing and it functions properly, some more testing to combine shifter function with switch function is needed and is in the very near future.

tarheel34 11-25-2010 03:15 PM

When is this gonna be available? I'm thinking this and the Hurst plate = massive win

CFD 11-25-2010 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarheel34 (Post 2580994)
When is this gonna be available? I'm thinking this and the Hurst plate = massive win

The testing on the prototype is pretty much complete, I will be machining a handfull next week,if there are no glitches with the first run there will be a few ready in two weeks and more to follow upon arrival of switches.

2010 SSRS 11-25-2010 04:18 PM

I like it.

D666MAN 11-27-2010 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFD (Post 2578608)
Hi Dave. Here is the scoop. In re-designing the shifter (unlike the first version) I came up with some very simple yet innovative design features that allow a lot of flexibility in design capabilities. I have been working on a shifter as you are describing and it functions properly, some more testing to combine shifter function with switch function is needed and is in the very near future.

Will this future design operate like the tap shifter I had in my 2005 Dodge Magnum R/T ?

CFD 11-28-2010 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D666MAN (Post 2586750)
Will this future design operate like the tap shifter I had in my 2005 Dodge Magnum R/T ?

I am not familiar with the Dodge shifter so I cannot answer that.

kmcd 11-28-2010 01:59 PM

George,

I'm already a fan of your first shifter, but I agree that the articulating version would be even better. Please let us know when they're available, as I'm quite sure I'll want one.

Keep up the good work!

- Kevin

CFD 11-28-2010 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmcd (Post 2588287)
George,

I'm already a fan of your first shifter, but I agree that the articulating version would be even better. Please let us know when they're available, as I'm quite sure I'll want one.

Keep up the good work!

- Kevin

Hi Kevin, That shifter is a work in progress but will still be a bit. I will keep everyone posted. Other than testing I still use the original version in my own car, still my favorite.

D666MAN 11-28-2010 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFD (Post 2588198)
I am not familiar with the Dodge shifter so I cannot answer that.

No buttons on shifter. Just tapped left or right to downshift or upshift.
Mercedes built this tranny for Dodge. It comes from the previous-generation Mercedes-Benz E-class.

decepticon 11-28-2010 11:18 PM

PM me when you have a price.

also.. are there any videos of this or the first kind you made? i really want to see this thing in action